Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar and the our Lancing football school.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Would you be willing to take a few mediocre seasons with Oscar if, he laid great practises and structure for the development of our young talent; this has to Shirley be the greatest thing he could do for our club? Given his much publised time at Masia from the age of 9-27 he must know those philosophies inside out! I would be very interested to see what stamp he puts on the place, and how if at all it will differ from other clubs.
Still wonder what does Barca do that other develpment schools don't?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Seeing as the NSC definition of mediocre these days seems to be just outside the Championship playoffs, yes

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think a big part of whether people would be happy with this would be the price of tickets. The direct debit is brilliant, but the cost of a season ticket is still among the highest in this division (at least it was last season, so imagine it would be again this year).

People will understandably get frustrated if they are paying top prices to watch a mid table team.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I think a big part of whether people would be happy with this would be the price of tickets. The direct debit is brilliant, but the cost of a season ticket is still among the highest in this division (at least it was last season, so imagine it would be again this year).

People will understandably get frustrated if they are paying top prices to watch a mid table team.

Our clubs running costs must go up when the Academy opens?
Although this is just a long term investment.

albionite

May 20, 2009
What is mediocre about our season so far?

If I'm honest I prefer the football we are playing to last season, ok we are not scoring enough goals but I don't remember us being free flowing attack minded last year either. My only gripe is that we can be too slow getting the ball forward and counter attacking (same as last year).

With the card Oscar has been dealt I think he is doing a very good job and have trust that he will mould us into a very good team given time and support.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What is mediocre about our season so far?

If I'm honest I prefer the football we are playing to last season, ok we are not scoring enough goals but I don't remember us being free flowing attack minded last year either. My only gripe is that we can be too slow getting the ball forward and counter attacking (same as last year).

With the card Oscar has been dealt I think he is doing a very good job and have trust that he will mould us into a very good team given time and support.

Damn you and your common sense views :tantrum:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
How certain is it that Oscar will have anything to do with the coaching below first-team level? I'd like to believe he will, but surely that's part of David Burke's remit.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Cannot believe for a second Oscar will have time to spend being particularly hands on with coaching below first team level.

His input and experience will obviously help shape the vision and approach to training etc, but realistically I think David Burke will have just as much impact as head of football operations.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I've been supporting the Useful Men for 56+ years, and mediocre describes quite a few of them. A couple more won't be that difficult to bear.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Cannot believe for a second Oscar will have time to spend being particularly hands on with coaching below first team level.

His input and experience will obviously help shape the vision and approach to training etc, but realistically I think David Burke will have just as much impact as head of football operations.

I thought he's chief scout, what was his role at Southampton?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In this day and age no team is built on a crop of youngsters that have come through an academy. Two of the most successful are Southampton and Palace, and they've been perennial sellers of their academy products. It is only with the arrival of Prem football do some of these kids hang around. If we start to produce good kids but remain outside the play-off places these kids will get cherry-picked by the bigger clubs.

This is one of the reasons I'm beginning to think we should dump the likes of Andrews and Agustien. It would be great to open the new facility with the likes of March, Dunk, JFC, Ince all getting plenty of game time and to keep that conveyor belt coming. The youth would believe in Oscar and we would reap the benefits in years to come.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
How certain is it that Oscar will have anything to do with the coaching below first-team level? I'd like to believe he will, but surely that's part of David Burke's remit.

It's the coaching team, headed by Oscar's remit. Am not sure why David Burke would get involved? Am happy to be put straight though by those who may know differently.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It's the coaching team, headed by Oscar's remit. Am not sure why David Burke would get involved? Am happy to be put straight though by those who may know differently.

I will happily be proved wrong but I think the academy and player development falls under David Burke's remit.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I will happily be proved wrong but I think the academy and player development falls under David Burke's remit.

According to David B's LinkedIn profile:-

"Managing the football aspects of the Club,on behalf of the Chairman working closely with the head coach and CEO, including:

Player and transfer negotiation.
Player budget
Player audits
Scouting and recruitment
Performance analysis
The Academy and player development
Player support services, education, welfare and liaison
Kit management
Women and girls elite football"

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Oscar will be structuring the way football is taught at the Academy and I have no doubt that he will be coaching and overseeing the coaches, hence why his role is head coach. To think that he will be in his new office at the training ground twiddling his fingers is far from the truth.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Need to make the distinction between a managing role and a coaching role.

I don't believe Burke would be involved in the delivery of any [hands-on] coaching at any level.

However, I can see Oscar occasionally leading a D/S or u21 coaching session when opportunity permits.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Need to make the distinction between a managing role and a coaching role.

I don't believe Burke would be involved in the delivery of any [hands-on] coaching at any level.

However, I can see Oscar occasionally leading a D/S or u21 coaching session when opportunity permits.

:lolol: Yep, we just spend £30m on a new Academy, and then Bloom sends Burke out of the office ready for action in a tracksuit to coach. Even with the most flawed and vivid imagination it would be hard to seriously believe it.

albionite

May 20, 2009
i would get rid of nathan jones and let oscar bring in a better number 2

Why would you get rid. What do you about the relationship between Oscar and Nathan or the relationship between him and the players?

So far I've heard no bad words coming out of the club that Nathan is not doing his job. Only the bedwetters on here needing someone to blame because we are not top.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here