Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lighter Matters - Somewhere to go this Afternoon

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Any recommendations for an interesting place to visit that is worth a few hours this afternoon. Under cover, within an hour of Brighton. Adult group.

Possible Stanley Spencer exhibition at the Pallant House Gallery at Chichester. We are National Trust members so it could be one of those - but the houses are mostly closed till next week.

Any suggesions ?

Many thanks in advance.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Hello there! Do Pallant, admission is half price on Tuesdays and that exhibition is brilliant and amazing. You could also check out The Novium if you have more time to burn, relatively new museum with weird, massive Roman heads found in gardens and things like that.

If you're in Brighton, Turner in Brighton at the Royal Pavilion is worth seeing (views of Brighthelmston and such), possibly followed by Subversive Design at the museum if that's your bag, or a look around their permanent gallery redisplay if you haven't seen it yet, or maybe the Booth.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Hello there! Do Pallant, admission is half price on Tuesdays and that exhibition is brilliant and amazing. You could also check out The Novium if you have more time to burn, relatively new museum with weird, massive Roman heads found in gardens and things like that.

If you're in Brighton, Turner in Brighton at the Royal Pavilion is worth seeing (views of Brighthelmston and such), possibly followed by Subversive Design at the museum if that's your bag, or a look around their permanent gallery redisplay if you haven't seen it yet, or maybe the Booth.

Mr B - you are a cultured man. Half price on a Tuesday has sold it for me. It does look like it is worth a visit. Pallant House it is.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Too late for this afternoon... but Polesden Lacey is a really interesting NT property if you haven't been there already - good in the summer when the gardens are open, but house full of interesting 20th century history as well as furniture, art and ceramics.

Good cafe/restaurant too :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Pop down to the Amex. I hear they have some excellent deals on 2013/14 replica shirts.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Thanks to all. We did go to see the Stanley Spencer exhibition at Chichester. Well worth the trip half-price Tuesday - I think the full price of £9 is a tad steep.

It is an exhibition of his time in WW1 as a medical orderly at home and then in Salonika. Although he did manage to squeeze a picture in of the mods making the beds for the NSC meat-up.

View attachment 51548

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Thanks to all. We did go to see the Stanley Spencer exhibition at Chichester. Well worth the trip half-price Tuesday - I think the full price of £9 is a tad steep.

It is an exhibition of his time in WW1 as a medical orderly at home and then in Salonika. Although he did manage to squeeze a picture in of the mods making the beds for the NSC meat-up.

View attachment 51548

Cheers DKM. A recent trend on NSC is for people to ask for advice and then not bother to come back and explain what they did and how it went. Being a right know it all, I am generally a sucker for these threads and it is nice to hear how things turn out. I like the Pallant Gallery. It is Chichester posh, which is not a reason to dismiss it and also a great counter to the all modern art is rubbish argument.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Late I know, but I would recommend the Wetlands Center in Arundel. Very nice few hours, and close to pretty decent pub.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The Pallant is quite good though, I prefer the bits were you appear to wandering through an old country house rather than a gallery.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Should have got the train to Three Bridges and back. Come this weekend there will be at least 1500 people who wish that they could.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If you get decent weather it's a great walk from Seaford to the Cuckmere, the views are some of the best in England. Then follow the river to the Golden Galleon where you can have a nice meal, then get a taxi back to your car.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here