Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The morning after...

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
After sleeping on it, I still think that first half last night was one of the most, gutless, , embarrassing performances I have ever witnessed. It was a all or nothing game and we set up not to lose the game, AGAIN. .....I'm sorry its time to ditch this negative, defencive, crappy mentally. We are not Barcelona or Spain so stop trying to be like them...Oscar promised us direct attacking football, time to deliver I think...Im not talking about winning every game, im talking about stop playing like we are shite scared to lose all the time....One win is better than two draws, clean sheets dont win games and if we think we are going to 1-0 our way to success. I'm afraid it's never going to happen..Enough is enough now.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
feel the issue was Oscar did to much to try and live up to our 'reputation' of being a passing team. put all our supposed passing players in rather going with whats most effective. would of been much better for lualua and march to start even though kaz didn't do much once he was on. but that's not the point. they both would have provided an outlet that simply wasn't there at the start of the game with ulloa holding up the ball for no runners as they were all dilly-dallying on the edge of our own box.

as you can see im still rather pi$$ed off with the whole thing

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
feel the issue was Oscar did to much to try and live up to our 'reputation' of being a passing team. put all our supposed passing players in rather going with whats most effective. would of been much better for lualua and march to start even though kaz didn't do much once he was on ...

Kaz started last Monday and was singularly ineffective. In fact, I'm racking my brains to think of the last time he did anything of note when he started a a game. We were really poor in the first half but don't think Kaz would have made much difference

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Kaz started last Monday and was singularly ineffective. In fact, I'm racking my brains to think of the last time he did anything of note when he started a a game. We were really poor in the first half but don't think Kaz would have made much difference

He wouldn't have made any difference as we could not get hold of the ball first half. It's not as if he made much impact when he came on either.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
feel the issue was Oscar did to much to try and live up to our 'reputation' of being a passing team. put all our supposed passing players in rather going with whats most effective. would of been much better for lualua and march to start even though kaz didn't do much once he was on. but that's not the point. they both would have provided an outlet that simply wasn't there at the start of the game with ulloa holding up the ball for no runners as they were all dilly-dallying on the edge of our own box.

as you can see im still rather pi$$ed off with the whole thing

I reckon March would have started last night had it not been for the injury he's been suffering with.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Yeah, let's bring back hoof ball! :facepalm:

Oh please, no one is saying that. I love the way we play and thought we were fantastic on Saturday. But last night we were just very poor - and we only lost 2-1. Oscar and the club's philosophy doesn't need to be changed to "hoof" and he showed on Saturday that he'll go very offensive to win a game. But last night was so ****ing flat.

Three really offensive changes at HT would have at least given the impression that we really wanted to win.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

Off the top of my head, Birmingham about a month ago. And how many opportunities does he actually get to start? Biased statistic.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Three really offensive changes at HT would have at least given the impression that we really wanted to win.

The only flaw in that plan was we never had three game changing offensive players to bring on, All we had was a 50% fit March, LuaLua who never had the beating of his man in either game and Obika who nobody rates anyway.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Have to remember that we were away to a Premiership side , 2 days after a league match . A goalkeeping blunder cost us the first goal.....I am not saying that it was good, but it is not a fair judge of the team in those circumstances

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
We lost this by not playing our best team at the Amex for the first leg. Simple as that.
Had we beaten them last Monday we would have had the momentum for the Wigan match.
Where has this resting and rotation got us - two HUGELY relevant defeats and, without wishing to be over dramatic, quite possibly the end of our season.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
March looked OK and should be given a chance in the next few games, if fit. Kaz has developed the tendency to throw himself to the ground looking for a free kick every time he's tackled. Can't see him being any more than a bench player to be used in the last 20 to 30 minutes. We've got to play with width and we have to get the midfield getting up in support of Leo and even going past Leo. It goes without saying that we need more energy and fight than the first 45. It looked like men against boys.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Yeah, let's bring back hoof ball! :facepalm:

Direct attacking football is not hoofball....im talking about attacking with pace, not just lumping it up to a big man. But thats the general perception people have when someone says lets be more direct..Liverpool are direct, Man City are direct. I don't see them hoofing it very much, but I do see them playing two strikers..People who say direct football by definition is hoofball, just actually prove they haven't got a clue.It just sounds like it makes sense, to themselves anyway.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I disagree. We were much more gutless under Adams (second spell) in League 1.

We have to remember Hull, although weakened up front, are a group of players that are used to playing in the Premier League week-in-week-out. There will be a gulf in class there, however hard our players work on the training ground.

With regard to the first half performance, it was poor, but there was no speed in the team. I can see why Oscar wanted to leave LuaLua on the bench - he left Chicksen woefully exposed in the first leg. However, the lack of pace in the first half meant that we weren't able to get the ball away and relieve the pressure on our defence - this made it easy for Hull to attack.

Our second half performance was much stronger. I think that there are plenty of lessons, good and bad, to take from last night's game.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I thought the first half was bad but give credit to Hull they are a team full of confidence after smashing Cardiff away 4 - 0! while we can off the back of losing 2 - 1 at home to Wigan - 2nd half was more evenly matched but I think overall a fair result. I hate to say it but it's best to keep things tight at the back and then look to steal a goal on the break / set piece, no team has ever lost when they haven't conseeded - fact!but we need to get the right balance in the final 3rd this is where we are falling down.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Direct attacking football is not hoofball....im talking about attacking with pace, not just lumping it up to a big man. But thats the general perception people have when someone says lets be more direct..Liverpool are direct, Man City are direct. I don't see them hoofing it very much, but I do see them playing two strikers..People who say direct football by definition is hoofball, just actually prove they haven't got a clue.It just sounds like it makes sense, to themselves anyway.

I agree generally with that, the problem is to play that way you need pace. We have Buckley (injury prone and good one game poor the next) Lua Lua (similar to Buckley in as much as he is not consistent) March (still young and learning) Rodriquez (playing out of position I think)
I think we would be better doing away with 4-3-3 and trying 4-4-1-1 with Roriquez just behind and getting beyond Ulloa.

The two teams you quote as examples have world class players playing for them, and pace all over the pitch. It can be done but it will require an over-hall of the playing staff we have here. I think Oscar will do that in the summer.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I disagree. We were much more gutless under Adams (second spell) in League 1.

We have to remember Hull, although weakened up front, are a group of players that are used to playing in the Premier League week-in-week-out. There will be a gulf in class there, however hard our players work on the training ground.

With regard to the first half performance, it was poor, but there was no speed in the team. I can see why Oscar wanted to leave LuaLua on the bench - he left Chicksen woefully exposed in the first leg. However, the lack of pace in the first half meant that we weren't able to get the ball away and relieve the pressure on our defence - this made it easy for Hull to attack.

Our second half performance was much stronger. I think that there are plenty of lessons, good and bad, to take from last night's game.

Pretty much agree with this. I was just glad that were able to regain our composure in the second half and made a game of it.

The first half was awful though, as bad as anything I have seen all season. The main problem being the lack of control, it was poor and I blame the players for that. They were focused in the second half and being able to trap the ball made a hell of difference as we were able to keep possession and attack with more purpose.

Ultimately disappointed that we threw the game away in the first half, pleased with the (ultimately futile) response in the second half. Still had a good day out though, that sort of road trip is what makes football enjoyable for me.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Pretty much agree with this. I was just glad that were able to regain our composure in the second half and made a game of it.

The first half was awful though, as bad as anything I have seen all season. The main problem being the lack of control, it was poor and I blame the players for that. They were focused in the second half and being able to trap the ball made a hell of difference as we were able to keep possession and attack with more purpose.

Ultimately disappointed that we threw the game away in the first half, pleased with the (ultimately futile) response in the second half. Still had a good day out though, that sort of road trip is what makes football enjoyable for me.

That sums it up for me too - except for the very last comment about being enjoyable. Yes we showed some character in the second half but never really gave Harper a torrid time, I think he had two comfortable saves in 90 mins. Conversely I was a nervous wreck every time the ball got thrown into our own box, Brezovan stayed on his line and didn't claim a cross until the 65th minute.

One of our strengths in recent seasons has been good ball control and retaining possession - it is all very well passing the ball around nicely across the back four with the odd ball forward into midfield, then back again only to finally hoof the ball in the general direction of our lone striker. That final ball now seems to be airborne rather than on the deck. Any decent opposing team, especially from the Prem will just eat that up.

Part of the problem is not having that bit of flair to take on opposing players or play that defence splitting pass. In the first half last night we looked very one paced and too predictable. We carried very little threat going forward and rarely made it into Hull's box. Who in our team is capable of the doing the unexpected? Even KLL looks tame at the moment. If only we had made Vicente feel the love he could have been so pivotal on such nights.

It was good to see March came on but sadly he was mostly channelled down their right, he only cut in onto his left foot once with that decent shot in injury time. Pity he couldn't have done that several more times, it seemed as if he had been told to play more of a holding role.

Finally a bit of gallows humour, we had a free kick in a promising position and what looked like a training ground routine was a shamble: instead of shooting or crossing, the ball is supposed to be slipped wide to Lopez, but JFC woefully underhit it and turned it into a gentle pass to a defender. The Hull fans rightly sang 'What the f**king hell was that....?' and Albion fans joined in. Rather summed up much of our performance.

Oh well on to Millwall. I really hope we raise our game and give Holloway a pasting. Unleash Buckley and March.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Last 10 games goal scored- 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1

If management cannot work out the issue from these stats then I have lost belief.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here