UKCC14 - Quarter Final THREE: I'm Alan Partridge vs The Office

UKCC14 - Quarter Final THREE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
2 down, 2 to go. This is another MASSIVE tie.

pureholidayhomescom_on_itv1_20110406185916_1.jpg

Quarter Final Three

===

I'm Alan Partridge

alan-partridge460_795711c.jpg

A relative stroll through to the Quarters. Now Alan needs to show some teeth, some real grit to get through this one. Won the pre-tournament friendly but that isn't any guarantee of success here.

vs

===

The Office

the_office_1780337i.jpg

Might've preferred a different opponent at this stage, but will have to play the cards it has been dealt.

In terms of modern UK comedies, it simply doesn't get BIGGER than THIS.

Please use quotes and videos to support your chosen comedy.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Almost impossible to choose, but had to plump for Brent.

"He went home to get it"

"I'm sure Texas couldn't run a successful paper merchants"

"Racial, so..."

"She's deeeeeeaaaaad"
"She's not dead"

"He said 'Why the tears?'. I said 'cos none of them was you'"
"What, you?!"
"No, he's looking at a photograph"
"Of you?"
"No...of his girlfriend"
"Sorry, it just sounds a bit gay at the moment"
"It's not gay!"

And that just from three minutes of one episode.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is MASSIVE, I'm going to need to get myself a cup of tea and think this over.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gareth: "My dad, for example, he's not as cosmopolitan or as educated as me, and it can be embarrasing you know. He doesn't understand all the new trendy words - like he'll say 'poofs' instead of 'gays', 'birds' instead of 'women', 'darkies' instead of 'coloureds'.

"Well Sonja that was classic intercourse. So, er...thanks. Let's just pop the extractor fan on, get a through draught going."

I'm sorry, I can't vote on this. I just can't split them. They are both GENIUS.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Partridge is pure comedy, but I have little-to-no affection for Alan the character. The Office has good dramatic writing and plenty of HEART as well. By the Christmas Special I care a LOT about what happened to the employees of Wernham Hogg.

For that reason I'm going for Brent and the "lads". As I can't separate them comedically The Office has the edge as a more well-rounded programme.

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Gareth: That's one reason why gays shouldn't be allowed into the army. Because if we're in battle, is he going to be looking at the enemy, or is he going to be looking at me and going "Ooh. He looks tasty in his uniform". And I'm not homophobic, all right? Come round, look at my CDs. You'll see Queen, George Michael, Pet Shop Boys. They're all bummers.

David Brent: I don't look upon this like it's the end, I look upon it like it's moving on you know. It's almost like my work here's done. I can't imagine Jesus going 'Oh, I've told a few people in Bethlehem I'm the son of God, can I just stay here with Mum and Dad now?' No. You gotta move on. You gotta spread the word. You gotta go to Nazareth, please. And that's, very much like... me. My world does not end within these four walls, Slough's a big place. And when I've finished with Slough, there's Reading, Aldershot, Bracknell, you know I've got to-Didcott, Yately. You know. My-Winersh, Taplow.

David Brent: If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain - do you know which philosopher said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of tits.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm going for Partridge, so many great quotes and I'll happily watch any episode again.

The Office is cracking though, so I'll be disappointed to see it fall at this stage in the competition.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Partridge for me. Just an amazing character, and a brilliant series through his midlife years. Comic writing at it's finest.

The Office was great, no denying that. But I've never watched a single episode twice. It was a brilliant comedy, however not something I've ever fancied revisiting.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Watched both of these more times over than any other comedy. Such a tough one.
Had to go for partridge in the end. So many quality lines in it.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Partridge is pure comedy, but I have little-to-no affection for Alan the character. The Office has good dramatic writing and plenty of HEART as well. By the Christmas Special I care a LOT about what happened to the employees of Wernham Hogg.

For that reason I'm going for Brent and the "lads". As I can't separate them comedically The Office has the edge as a more well-rounded programme.

And I feel exactly the opposite - funny old game innit?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Both brilliant, but I struggle to watch a full episode of either. They're just too embarrassing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I voted for "I'm Alan Partridge" but think I've made a mistake. Brilliant character though he is, his radio and TV chat shows were so much funnier than the documentary style "I'm AP" episodes.

This though, is laugh out loud GOLD:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjj4_alan-partridge-raining-cows_fun

But then you have to remember the competition - so was THIS, especially at 3:14:
[yt]j1qtsLfZWWQ[/yt]

Ultimately, I probably should have voted for The Office but didn't. Very close though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And I feel exactly the opposite - funny old game innit?

Don't you find Partridge to be horribly bitter and selfish? Look at how he treats Lyn. I think David Brent is a far nicer person who ultimately justs to be liked.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Office , even though I don't particularly like either nominations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here