Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa's technique/poor first touch

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I can't be the only one that's noticed this, but since returning from his injury Ulloa seems to have changed his technique when controlling the ball. Last season whenever he received the ball into feet in a position where he was needed to hold it up, he would invariably trap it - or cushion it rather - with the outside of his boot and the ball would actually stick with him. It was noticeable because he was consistent in this slightly unorthodox approach. He no longer seems to use this technique, instead opting to control with the inside of his boot - and as a consequence his touch seems to have deserted him.

The only reason I can possibly think for this is that he's concerned about his ankle. I think cushioning it with the outside of the boot possibly makes you more susceptible to an injury. It would go some way to explaining his poor first touch since he's been back from injury, changing your technique like that opens you up to inconsistency. Hopefully he can refind his deft touch.

Has anyone else noticed this?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Can we pick on Brezovan next? it must be his turn.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Agree that there has been a noticable difference. His first touch used to be fantastic but has been poor of late. Obviously not helped by carrying an injury and also at times when his team mates seem to welly the ball at him rather than pass and still expect him to control it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If you watch his footwork you'll see he takes 2 steps with his left before he controls the ball, I've observed it for a while now. He gets himself into trouble because it takes him 2 movements to set himself to receive, pass or strikes the ball. It's a bit bizarre really.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
scored in each of the last four games...his 'technique' can be crap if he continues scoring

Who said his technique's crap? I'm specifically referring to his touch when he receives the ball, that's one element of his technique - you make it sound as if it's his whole game.

It's just incredibly frustrating to watch knowing how good his touch was last year. By far are most indispensable player and everyone knows that, but it doesn't mean you can't discuss the pros and cons of his game at the moment.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
He isn't full fit according to Oscar.

Do you have to be fully fit to control a ball?

I agree with [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] - I've let out a few guffaws at his touch just recently. It's like watching an English player in the lower leagues! The ball has bounced around 3 yards off his foot, meaning he loses immediate control.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
scored in each of the last four games...his 'technique' can be crap if he continues scoring

Yeah, but with the same argument you could ask how many more he could have scored? Perhaps we wouldn't be playing tonight if he'd put that sitter in?

I'm not having a pop at Ulloa. He's great, but he has been a bit slack in attitude in a couple of games and he looks like he couldn't trap a bag of cement at certain times.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If it's put on a plate for him, more often than not he will score. But I don't see him busting a gut to get to a cross, or make something happen.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Who said his technique's crap? I'm specifically referring to his touch when he receives the ball, that's one element of his technique - you make it sound as if it's his whole game.

It's just incredibly frustrating to watch knowing how good his touch was last year. By far are most indispensable player and everyone knows that, but it doesn't mean you can't discuss the pros and cons of his game at the moment.

Did i say you said that?...personally i think his close control has only let him down over the last few games..and as i said if he keeps scoring ..personally it doesn't bother me because i only see it as temporary

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yeah, but with the same argument you could ask how many more he could have scored? Perhaps we wouldn't be playing tonight if he'd put that sitter in?

I'm not having a pop at Ulloa. He's great, but he has been a bit slack in attitude in a couple of games and he looks like he couldn't trap a bag of cement at certain times.

Do you think he would have scored more if his ability to trap a ball had been better over the last few games....i say last few games as prior that i've always thought his ball control was actually quite good....as regards to sitters i take it you are referring to the Hull game...now that was awful

crowborough seagull

Feb 12, 2014
crowborough
???Why do we need to pick on certain players at the moment. There is no need for it especially when it is a player that he doing brilliantly now and is scoring goals. Ulloa is a striker who scores goals and that is all you need in a striker

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
It would help him if his fellow pro's didn't pass/smash the ball at around 70mph. The amount of times I have seen this lately beggars belief. The speed of the ball is such that as soon he tries to trap the ball it smashes into his foot and bounces about 10 feet away.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Do you think he would have scored more if his ability to trap a ball had been better over the last few games....i say last few games as prior that i've always thought his ball control was actually quite good....as regards to sitters i take it you are referring to the Hull game...now that was awful

I'm just saying that his control when he receives the ball has lost him. Spanish Dave needs to take him to one side and show him how to make the ball stick to his foot. In return, Ulloa could encourage Spanish Dave to shoot on sight of goal.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agree that there has been a noticable difference. His first touch used to be fantastic but has been poor of late. Obviously not helped by carrying an injury and also at times when his team mates seem to welly the ball at him rather than pass and still expect him to control it.

It would help him if his fellow pro's didn't pass/smash the ball at around 70mph. The amount of times I have seen this lately beggars belief. The speed of the ball is such that as soon he tries to trap the ball it smashes into his foot and bounces about 10 feet away.

Oi, that player you both refer to who whacks the ball needlessly hard has a name. It's Rohan Ince.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here