Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus comments section

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Do they toss a coin in the newsroom to decide whether or not to have them?

Being a technophobe I can't put the link up but they ran a story at the weekend about a possible re trial over the death of the young footballer Connor Saunders.

The comments that follow the story are on the cusp of disgusting/libellous, and possibly could affect a juries view in another trial.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's almost as depressing as reading YouTube comments.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's not a very edifying spectacle but not seen anything libellous. Most of the comments appear to be implying that the guy who was killed was a bit of a drunk and a bully. I'm sure it's upsetting for the parents but have seen far worse on the comments page.

I quite like comments sections on newspapers but the the Argus comments section is populated by the idiotic, deranged and near-psychopathic - I'm only surprised that the Greens haven't been blamed.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It's not a very edifying spectacle but not seen anything libellous. Most of the comments appear to be implying that the guy who was killed was a bit of a drunk and a bully. I'm sure it's upsetting for the parents but have seen far worse on the comments page.

I quite like comments sections on newspapers but the the Argus comments section is populated by the idiotic, deranged and near-psychopathic - I'm only surprised that the Greens haven't been blamed.

But would that not hamper finding a impartial jury locally?

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
The Argus are very silly for allowing a comments section under the article, and that should be taken down, but I guess that's what the Argus wanted. Could I just say, lets not engage in the same slanging and conjecture that's under that piece, we don't want to be giving Bozza another legal headache

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But would that not hamper finding a impartial jury locally?

Contempt of court? I'm no expert but with the trial done and dusted, as things stand, I'm not sure there'd be a case to answer to currently.

If a re-trial had been scheduled, i suspect it would be a different story.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You can't libel the dead.

Indeed. Which is why the BBC et al can get away with calling Savile a "serial sex offender" even though he was never even tried, let alone found guilty. NB: I'm not saying Savile was innocent, just providing an example of how it's ok to say anything about the dead.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And yet the Argus block comments on ALL traveller stories - it does seem a bizarre policy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here