Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is There a Market for Old Albion Programmes?

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
I recently moved house and on clearing out the loft, rediscovered my old trunk full of football programmes, mainly Albion ones of course. Is there a market for these? Looking on ebay there doesn't appear to be much call for them. They go back to 1964 by the way.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
I recently moved house and on clearing out the loft, rediscovered my old trunk full of football programmes, mainly Albion ones of course. Is there a market for these? Looking on ebay there doesn't appear to be much call for them. They go back to 1964 by the way.

Don't know if it is any help, but when my Mum died a few years ago, I found all of mine in her loft. I mentioned it to Ian Hart who was organising her funeral for us, and he said the the kids in the children's bit of St Barnabas hospice in Worthing would really appreciate reading the old progs, so I donated them there.

Appreciate you do not live locally, but its a thought unless you plan to try and sell them.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Don't know if it is any help, but when my Mum died a few years ago, I found all of mine in her loft. I mentioned it to Ian Hart who was organising her funeral for us, and he said the the kids in the children's bit of St Barnabas hospice in Worthing would really appreciate reading the old progs, so I donated them there.

Appreciate you do not live locally, but its a thought unless you plan to try and sell them.

I have a box load of Gulls Eye's to get rid of. Not sure they would be suitable for a childrens hospice, though.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
There is a small market for programmes but I think it's dying. I wonder if Hiney's site might persuade all but the hardcore to part with their physical collections as they can easily browse the content online, without it all occupying considerable space at their homes.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
There is a small market for programmes but I think it's dying. I wonder if Hiney's site might persuade all but the hardcore to part with their physical collections as they can easily browse the content online, without it all occupying considerable space at their homes.

It is certainly a fantastic resource for anyone who put their collection into storage years ago, and doesn't have ready access to it. :thumbsup:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

That covers the period where programmes were massively popular and issues from then are plentiful. There are a few rarities though.........

This is my Wants list from 1958 to date - if you've got any of these, then PLEASE let me know

:thumbsup:

1958/59 West Ham (fr), Kilmarnock (fr)
1960/61 Hasting Utd (fr)
1961/62 Charlton 20/1/62 (post), QPR (fr), Hastings United (fr)
1962/63 Bradford PA
1963/64 Reading (fr), Hastings Utd (fr)
1964/65 Charlton (fr), Crawley (fr)
1965/66 Oxford 15/1/66 (post), Charlton (fr)
1966/67 Chelsea (FAC – pirate by Starkey), Sheffield United (fr)
1967/68 Southampton (fr), Ipswich Town (fr)
1968/69 Torquay (4 pager), Coventry (fr)
1969/70 Wolverhampton Wanderers (FLC R3 – pirate by Starkey)
1970/71 Bournemouth (fr), QPR (fr)
1971/72 Huddersfield (fr), Chelsea (fr)
1972/73 QPR (fr), Southampton (fr), Spartak Moscow (fr)
1975/76 Ipswich Town (fr), Norwich City (fr)
1980/81 NAC Breda (fr)
1981/82 Leeds United 19/12/81 (post), Nigeria XI (fr)
1983/84 Crystal Palace (fr)
1984/85 Sussex Sunday League (fr)
1986/87 Charlton (fr), Eastbourne United (fr)
1987/88 Int Cricketers XI (fr)
1988/89 TSB (fr)
1992/93 Inter Zapresic (fr)
2000/01 Chesterfield 24/3/01(post)
2001/02 Reading 14/12/01 (post), Northampton 1/1/02 (post)
2002/03 Wimbledon 1/1/03 (post)
2005/06 Southampton (Audio CD)

The market for 99p ebay items is slowly dying out. We are seeing a move towards more bundles being offered for sale, ideal for collectors starting up. I was at a Fair in London a few weeks ago and it was RAMMED, so there is still still some interest.

The real rare stuff still goes for big money, witness the 1906 Albion programme that recently went for £1,220. Two Albion collectors were bidding on that.

If you want REALLY rare, the official programme from the 1909 FA Cup Final (Manchester United v Bristol City, played at The Crystal Palace), was sold at auction last November for £16,000.

Nice if you find that in your attic!

Last edited:

Wouldn't it help to add the date of those postponed matches, Hiney? I mean, you'd have to scour the results page and rely on the fact that a postponement would still be recorded as such to ascertain if the programme was for the rearranged date or not.

I'm pretty sure I've got a QPR & Saints friendly from the 70s. Did we host them any other seasons than stated in that decade? I think the Sparta(k) programme I have is Rotterdam, though :(

Last edited:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Wouldn't it help to add the date of those postponed matches, Hiney? I mean, you'd have to scour the results page and rely on the fact that a postponement would still be recorded as such to ascertain if the programme was for the rearranged date or not.

I'm pretty sure I've got a QPR & Saints friendly from the 70s. Did we host them any other seasons than stated in that decade? I think the Sparta(k) programme I have is Rotterdam, though :(

:thumbsup:

I've put the dates in for the postponed games.

We played a friendly against QPR in Feb '71, Jul '72, Mar '75 (which i've got), Aug '78 (got),

We played Saints in Aug '70 (got), Aug '72, Apr '80 (got)

We played Sparta Rotterdam in August 1980.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here