Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why can't I cook long grain rice as well as I can easy-cook?

Easy-cook does exactly as it says on the packet, and it comes out firm and dry. But when I try to replicate this with bog standard long grain rice, it just goes soft and sticks together. If I finish the boiling before it gets to this state, it's just hard and undercooked. I've followed the instructions precisely, including that odd 'washing' bit!

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Easy-cook does exactly as it says on the packet, and it comes out firm and dry. But when I try to replicate this with bog standard long grain rice, it just goes soft and sticks together. If I finish the boiling before it gets to this state, it's just hard and undercooked. I've followed the instructions precisely, including that odd 'washing' bit!

Get a Rice cooker!

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
1cup o rice to 1.5 boiled water never fails me. Part cook the rice and let it sit in remaking water and stem. Fork it through.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Measure out the amount of rice you need. Ideally soak in cold water for 30 mins. Add cold water to a heavy bottomed saucepan - 1.3 times the volume of the rice. Drain the rice, put in the pan, add a bit of salt and bring gently to the boil. As soon as it boils put a lid on and put on the lowest gas possible on your hob. Leave for 25 mins and do not remove the lid. Then without taking off the lid place the saucepan on damp tea towel for 5 more minutes. Remove the lid and serve. Works every time. Or buy a rice steamer.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
1 cup of rice
2 cups cold water
Bring to boil
Turn off heat and cover pan
Leave for 30 mins

Job done.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Wash rice 2-3 times to get rid of most of starch. Cook to al dente, run under cold running water. Re heat when needed. Should give you nice fluffy rice. Unless you are doing something like pilaf rice I would do more than 2 parts water to 1 rice as it doesn't really matter if you have too much water.

Wash rice 2-3 times to get rid of most of starch. Cook to al dente, run under cold running water. Re heat when needed. Should give you nice fluffy rice. Unless you are doing something like pilaf rice I would do more than 2 parts water to 1 rice as it doesn't really matter if you have too much water.
This.

Don't attempt to match the volume of water to the volume of rice. It doesn't matter. But watch the timing of the boiling - and get it just right, to your taste. 13 minutes (precisely) suits me. Drain the hot rice immediately and, to stop it cooking, cool it immediately under cold running water, until it is quite cold. Then drain again thoroughly. Very thoroughly. The re-heating, after the cooling has been completed, should be in a moderate oven, with the rice covered, until the optimum temperature for eating has been achieved. Fluff it all up with a fork, before serving.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You don't get this hassle with chips. :smile:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
You don't need to wash or soak the rice, give it a quick rinse if you like. Take one cup of rice, add one and a half cups of water, bring to the boil uncovered,. as soon as you have a good rolling boil cover and reduce heat to lowest setting for 10 minutes, then switch off the heat (move from the heat if using an electric hob) and leave for a further ten minutes. Uncover and fluff up with a fork. Perfect unsticky rice every time, with none welded to the saucepan

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This is THE way to cook perfect rice.

1. Boil a kettle.
2. In a measuring jug put rice to the level of 100ml.
3. Put a little oil in a saucepan, heat it and add the rice, stir and coat all the rice in oil.
4. Put 200ml boiling water into the saucepan.
5. Wait till it boils.
6. Stir ONCE and put a lid on the pan and reduce the heat to the minimum your stove will do to make it simmer very gently.
7. Do not take the lid off for 10-12 minutes depending on your preference.
8. At the end of the time your rice will be PERFECTLY cooked, and all the water will be absorbed, ready to serve.

If you use very starchy rice, you can soak it, if you like to flavour the rice, use a stock cube in the water, if you're making it for a curry, chuck in a few cards in pods, some cumin and some tumeric or saffron.

Perfect rice, every time, regardless of the type of rice (white rice only, brown rice is a whole nuther story).

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
the best way I find is to stick it in boiling water keep checking it till its al dente or a touch firmer than youd like. take it out wash it well in cold water . fork it about to get the water out of it then when you want it stick it in the microwave for a minute ..... bingo !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here