Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Closing of Winter Olympics.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What's the betting that with the worlds press on their way home tomorrow, Russia suddenly goes to the aid of Viktor Yanukovych and help him out with a few 'military' advisers?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think he's too late. It looks like an ex-boxer could be the next president.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Interesting Russia spent £30b yet South Korea will only spend £7b on the next one.

Some people must have trousered one hell of a lot of Roubles

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Apparently the Sochi games cost more than all of the previous winter games put together.

Surely the IOC should investigate this as there is a clear case of corruption in my view.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Surely the IOC should investigate this as there is a clear case of corruption in my view.

The IOC investigating corruption you say :lolol:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The Ukraine is strategically very important to Russia.
But more importantly that piece of music when the paper was swirling around the pictures of Russian authors is just beautifully brilliant and so atmospheric. Its called Masquerade Waltz by Khachaturian, just stunning.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What's the betting that with the worlds press on their way home tomorrow, Russia suddenly goes to the aid of Viktor Yanukovych and help him out with a few 'military' advisers?

There may well be a few Russian Biathlon competitors going for some " Training " in Ukraine very shortly, but, I bet they won't be competing there wearing numbers this time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
America has publically warned Russia against a military intervention.

Are they seeing troop build ups on the satellites ???

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Don't forget the oil/gas pipelines that go through Ukraine end up in Russia , very important route .
Why don't America keep it's f--king nose out , they are still upset about not being able to invade Syria and there are a lot of Ukrainians want to be under Russian influence .

Don't know about you lot but it was so refreshing not to see any advertising virtually anywhere at the Olympics (except some small name on clothing and ski's etc), normally any sporting event it is plastered every available inch !

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Don't forget the oil/gas pipelines that go through Ukraine end up in Russia , very important route .
Why don't America keep it's f--king nose out , they are still upset about not being able to invade Syria and there are a lot of Ukrainians want to be under Russian influence .

Conversely it would appear from the past few days that there are a lot of Ukrainians who want Russia to keep its f--king nose out, therein lies the problem!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Don't know about you lot but it was so refreshing not to see any advertising virtually anywhere at the Olympics (except some small name on clothing and ski's etc), normally any sporting event it is plastered every available inch !

And what a price to pay for no advertising. I'm no fan of it but how come a winter Olympics with far fewer competitors, far fewer sports cost far more than the London Olympics? I wonder how many Russians (the poor ones that is, not the ones with their hands in the till!) would have liked to have seen some of that £30b spent elsewhere? How much of that £30b lined the pockets of those that didn't lift a finger to put on the games. As for US keeping it's nose, why doesn't Russia do the same?

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
I don't think it will. Ukraine is not that important to Russia anymore.

The Ukraine was known as the bread basket for the Soviet Union. It remains economically, historically and culturally immensely important to Russia. There is of course massive baggage involved as well, the extermination of six million Ukrainians in the Holodomor and the subsequent huge support for the German army when it entered the country in 1941. Eastern Ukraine v Western Ukraine. Let's hope it doesn't escalate beyond the country's border, despite outside interference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here