Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion finances review

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've done a full analysis of the Albion's financial position and it can be found here

http://theseagulllovereview.blogspot.co.uk
Only read it if either you can't sleep or are very nerdy like me. It's about 2,500 words, and very dull!. :ohmy:

Of note from the first paragraph or so: we lost £283k per week. Or, less than Wayne Rooney earns in the same timeframe.

I'm not sure if that's to be celebrated or laughed at?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There's some perspective right there. Blimey.

14,756,989 in a year, £1,229,749 a month, £567,576 per match at the Amex, £283,788 a week, £40,430 a day, £1,685 an hour, £28 a minute.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Going through it now, and to prove I am...

"At the end of June 2013 he had loaned the club £102 million, and had another £60 invested in the form of shares."

Only £60 in shares? Was it worth it?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Going through it now, and to prove I am...

"At the end of June 2013 he had loaned the club £102 million, and had another £60 invested in the form of shares."

Only £60 in shares? Was it worth it?

Bill Archer did pretty well out of less...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't know if I'm a complete nerd, or if that was jst well written, but I liked it. Couple of questions

-Is it a requirement to spread the transfer fee over the length of the contract or can they put it all in one year's account? If so, is it possible they did that with Ulloa, cutting £571K from next this years Budget, or is it clear in the fees they haven't done that?

-Man City as a vanity project - isn't it equally more a political asset? I've heard sports journos talking about how having City gives them something to soften discussions with various world leaders or something (can't remember the exact argument, but essentially it helped with ambassadorial duties) rather than being about having a toy to play with?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't know if I'm a complete nerd, or if that was jst well written, but I liked it. Couple of questions

-Is it a requirement to spread the transfer fee over the length of the contract or can they put it all in one year's account? If so, is it possible they did that with Ulloa, cutting £571K from next this years Budget, or is it clear in the fees they haven't done that?

-Man City as a vanity project - isn't it equally more a political asset? I've heard sports journos talking about how having City gives them something to soften discussions with various world leaders or something (can't remember the exact argument, but essentially it helped with ambassadorial duties) rather than being about having a toy to play with?

It's standard accounting practice under FRS10 to amortise intangibles. It is acceptable to write down their value if you buy a turkey though and you don't think you will recover the balance sheet value e.g. Torres, Carroll, Ryan Harley, Fellaini etc.

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
I've done a full analysis of the Albion's financial position and it can be found here

http://theseagulllovereview.blogspot.co.uk

Only read it if either you can't sleep or are very nerdy like me. It's about 2,500 words, and very dull!. :ohmy:

very good article EP

Confirms what I've been saying for years. Clubs in the Championship/lower part of the Prem are screwed financially. The extent of rich owners and/or Premiership tenure only defer the mega losses that will eventually happen. Football is screwed and something big is going to happen at some point.

We also are lucky enough to have true fans for owners and they have tried to not chuck money about but the amounts spent are still eye watering. Everyone is lauding Hull now but Long and Jelevic have cost them £30m over the next 3.5 years.

The fact that crowds are almost just a nice add on to the finances show how ridiculous the situation has got to. 27% of Manure's income is gate receipts.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But look how popular he is now compared to our Tone.

How old is Archer these days? I'm assuming he's still alive (it's not like anyone is going to send us a telegram when he goes to the great DIY store in the sky).

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
An excellent piece. Very informative and easy to understand. Top stuff!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
very good article EP

Confirms what I've been saying for years. Clubs in the Championship/lower part of the Prem are screwed financially. The extent of rich owners and/or Premiership tenure only defer the mega losses that will eventually happen. Football is screwed and something big is going to happen at some point.

We also are lucky enough to have true fans for owners and they have tried to not chuck money about but the amounts spent are still eye watering. Everyone is lauding Hull now but Long and Jelevic have cost them £30m over the next 3.5 years.

The fact that crowds are almost just a nice add on to the finances show how ridiculous the situation has got to. 27% of Manure's income is gate receipts.

I've got a copy of CPFC2010 accounts too Jez. Apart from the haircuts, I quite like Parish (and before him Jordan) as they do have the best interests of the club at heart.

You spent over £16million in the summer 2013 transfer window, not so sure how much in January, but Pulis is your best signing by far.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Very informative to plebs like myself who are too dim to understand the usually :bla: of annual accounting reports that may as well be written in Mandarin for all the sense they make. An interesting read that (sort of) shed some light on the unexpected loses of last year.

So? Playing devils advocate EP, do you expect a considerable improvement on next years figures?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here