Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cable theft affecting phone/web for Brighton folks

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1103..._internet_as_cable_thieves_strike_in_Brighton

anyone seen the crims, or BT repair bods..?

"..Thousands are thought to be without phone or internet connections after thieves made off with copper wiring.

BT technicians are on the scene in Preson Park attempting to restore the connections.

Up to 7000 lines are thought to have been affected and workman hope to have at least 1200 back up today.

According to residents, areas within Withdean, Westdean and Hove are also affected.

BT are urging people to come forward and have posted fliers through doors in the affected areas offering a £1,000 reward for anyone with information that leads to a conviction.."

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Thieving *******s , don't they know it is near impossible to scrap the copper now ? You need to provide address , i.d. and they pay by Cheque once they have confirmed your details . The copper will be fully traceable . I suppose they could melt it down .

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Thieving *******s , don't they know it is near impossible to scrap the copper now ? You need to provide address , i.d. and they pay by Cheque once they have confirmed your details . The copper will be fully traceable . I suppose they could melt it down .

Almost as pathetic and the twats that threw a AED into the sea at Bexhill last week, I really really hope one of their family is the person that dies because the equipment isn't there when they need it

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Almost as pathetic and the twats that threw a AED into the sea at Bexhill last week, I really really hope one of their family is the person that dies because the equipment isn't there when they need it

I read about that. The ultimate in mindless unforgivable vandalism. Worse than those nicking the copper cable. Not excusing it in anyway, but the copper thieves are doing it because they are...well, thieves, and are trying to make some dishonest money. They aren't too smart, as has been stated, disposing of it to dealers is far harder than it used to be. The scrap yards are bound by the new regulations and have regular audits. The vandals at Bexhill are simply braindead morons.......

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Christ. How much would that cost to replace? I hope they catch the ****(s) and charge them for the replacement.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Cable theft is still very common so they are shifting it somewhere. I suspect there are "tame" scrappies who are part of the network of thieves. As for being traceable, the cable sheathing may have identifiers on it but once it's been melted off on a bonfire at, for example, a caravan site then you're left with a great big tangle of copper.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sadly it did not appear to take out Timmys broadband

:annoyed::annoyed:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Very common nowadays.

Worse still, you get these thieves ripping up fibre ducts on railways, thinking its copper, but then realising its worthless fibre...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Christ. How much would that cost to replace? I hope they catch the ****(s) and charge them for the replacement.

Its not a massive cost (well £500-£600 I think), we recently had one put on the wall at our tennis club and much of the cost is borne by the NHS as they are a bit like fire hydrants in some respects as emergency staff know where they are in case they are needed before an ambulance arrives. Its just utter stupidity.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
All of the cables around here were pinched about 2 years ago and will not be replaced - too expensive apparently. Rumour is it was done by employees of the SA equivalent of BT and shipped off the China. But like many SA rumours, I have my doubts.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
All of the cables around here were pinched about 2 years ago and will not be replaced - too expensive apparently. Rumour is it was done by employees of the SA equivalent of BT and shipped off the China. But like many SA rumours, I have my doubts.

I wouldn't rule it out. BT recently prosecuted an employee for cable theft.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Nice to see that the Argus reporter doesn't even know how to spell the suburbs of Brighton correctly. punish:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
That explains why I couldn't use my phone yesterday. The internet is working though, I guess they didn't touch the fibre cables.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
When I lived in Muizenberg back in the day, some of the locals from the Cape Flats, stole the two railway crossing gates from the middle of town one night. They were made of heavy wood and they used them, whole to provide one wall of a new shack they built. Needless to say the authorities noticed this house that looked like a railway gate, there was a flurry of sjambok activity and the gates were returned to their rightful place.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
When I lived in Muizenberg back in the day, some of the locals from the Cape Flats, stole the two railway crossing gates from the middle of town one night. They were made of heavy wood and they used them, whole to provide one wall of a new shack they built. Needless to say the authorities noticed this house that looked like a railway gate, there was a flurry of sjambok activity and the gates were returned to their rightful place.

Sounds about right. Now that most rural Telkom cables have gone, the latest craze seems to be to pinch electricity cables.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Our service (in Reigate road) has been restored today. Shame! I was saving a fortune with my partner unable to spend hours on the phone to her bloody relatives. I was hoping it would be back in time for Christmas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here