Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scrap the Sponsor's Man of the Match?

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
Right, I've had a few beers so bear that in mind but I firmly believe that the sponsor's man of the match should be scrapped.

9 times out of 10 it goes to the goalscorer or a 'fashionable' player, often regardless of their overall contribution to the game.

Today it was given to David Lopez who put in a decent - if unspectacular - performance. The reaction from those around me was pretty shocking to say the least. Hearing our own fans jeer and mock our own player was frankly embarrassing.

I'm far from Spanish Dave's biggest fan but once this award is leapt on by certain moronic 'fans' to target individuals, I think it has run its course.

While they're at it, they should stop announcing the away attendance.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I recall at Withdean week in, week out Zamora used to get the award; regardless of how he played/ the final score. Guess the sponsors just wanted a photo with him to put their wall

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Why not just ignore it. No point spoiling the day of the sponsors and possibly reducing revenue stream.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A £14 million loss and some want us to scrap a money making sponsorship? What does it matter who is chosen? Have a laugh and then moan on Nsc by all means, but to scrap a money making scheme?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Is there not the slightest chance that the sponsor was being a tad mischievous?

When my business was the main sponsor of West Hsm I had to host lots of the games. MoM was a real laugh, all the guests get to vote half of whom didn't even know which side was which. It invariably went to Lee Chapman as the pissed up women thought he was a hunk. Once, after a 5-1 defeat a group of fellas gave it to a central defender who had been sent off with 15 minutes to go

It's bollox and best ignored but a necessary part of the commercial side of things

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
When Sky showed a regular Monday night Premiership match and Beckham was playing for United,he was always MoM even if he had a mare or just came on as sub for 20 minutes. Mind you, it was fun counting the " You Know's " in his after match acceptance speech.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What about a "Guess the sponsor's man of the match" competition at half time?

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
Today it was given to David Lopez who put in a decent - if unspectacular - performance. The reaction from those around me was pretty shocking to say the least. Hearing our own fans jeer and mock our own player was frankly embarrassing.

I'm far from Spanish Dave's biggest fan but once this award is leapt on by certain moronic 'fans' to target individuals, I think it has run its course.

I noticed the same thing where I was sat and it f****d me right off. Dave and Bruno linking up on that side looked our best chance to create something yesterday so I thought it was a pretty reasonable decision.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If the phone reception was better they coud do a fans phone in one like x factor etc with a telephone number ending in the players squad number, oh sorry most people cant see the number or Jcl wont know it.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Dave was woeful yesterday, sad to see him sprinting off like he really couldn't wait to be off the pitch. Day to forget for him, pretty good banter from the sponsors to give him the award though. I had a chuckle.

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
I thought Dave deserved the MoM yesterday. People say that the sponsors make up their minds before the game but in truth it is (some of) the fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here