Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dear Oscar. Does every attack *have* to come from out wide?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Every team that comes here just sets up with two banks of four in front of their goal (with Wigan today having someone in the 'Ince role' also) which makes breaking them down difficult

We only seem to attack down the flanks and fire in crosses of differing quality that are usually repelled

Can I humbly suggest we mix it up a bit more, and play it around the D a bit and play a few balls into the channels?

We are starting to be a little one-dimensional and predictable tbh

:albion:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Every team that comes here just sets up with two banks of four in front of their goal (with Wigan today having someone in the 'Ince role' also) which makes breaking them down difficult

We only seem to attack down the flanks and fire in crosses of differing quality that are usually repelled

Can I humbly suggest we mix it up a bit more, and play it around the D a bit and play a few balls into the channels?

We had 23 shots today. Wigan had 6. Creating isn't the problem, finishing is.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Thought we looked our most dangerous with Buckley and Lua Lua on.

It is fair to say our crosses are ineffective as no one seems to win the headers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thought we looked our most dangerous with Buckley and Lua Lua on.

It is fair to say our crosses are ineffective as no one seems to win the headers.

There's only one player who can use his head, and that's Ulloa. Mark him out of the game and Bob's your uncle.

There was one chance where Obika beat his man, there were three players around the edge of the 6 yard line, where he could have cut back the pass to have a shot and he selfishly tried a shot himself which was straight to the keeper.

It would also help if players tried to make themselves available by running into spaces. Several times I saw one of our players get near to the box with no one to pass to.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
There's only one player who can use his head, and that's Ulloa. Mark him out of the game and Bob's your uncle.

There was one chance where Obika beat his man, there were three players around the edge of the 6 yard line, where he could have cut back the pass to have a shot and he selfishly tried a shot himself which was straight to the keeper.

It would also help if players tried to make themselves available by running into spaces. Several times I saw one of our players get near to the box with no one to pass to.

Unfortunately those 3 players were all wearing black shirts and marking Ulloa.
Obika took the only option open to him on that occasion.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

TB - correct.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

HHhmmmm! But there must be a reason why he is the manager and you with all your wisdom is nowhere near getting to control the team and how they play.....just a thought..

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I know it seems odd but, maybe a drop kick from the goalkeeper once in a while might make for a change. We were great in possession at the back with all those nice back passes and rolling the ball out to someone .......to pass it back to the keeper... to roll it out again... to have it passed back to the keeper who then, eventually lumps it upfield.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Starting? been happening for months unfortunately

We have been reliant on 1-0 wins and low scoring draws for quite a while now and very rarely thump a team. When we have one of the best defensive records in the league yet one of the lowest scorers it seems obvious the system obviously needs adjusting somewhere. It's been this way long before Oscar took on the job in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong... I think the some of the football we have played in recent years has been sublime, but gets so frustrating knowing we could really be thumping teams with the amount of possession and opportunities we get. Seeing 100 crosses come to nothing does get a bit monotonous after a while aswell... I believe in the system we have adopted and play but I think it needs an out and out striker who rarely miss their chances to really pull it off properly. (Someone like Ross McCormack)

Last edited:

Spun Cuppa

HHhmmmm! But there must be a reason why he is the manager and you with all your wisdom is nowhere near getting to control the team and how they play.....just a thought..

Do you have this answer in your 'My Documents' and just cut and paste it into any thread questioning anything related to the management of the team? Just a thought

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

I bet you used to come out with these quotes when Mark McGhee was manager. Everything about the football reminds me of his era, and yet somehow, we aren't allowed to question this manager. McGhee was fair game though, so how does that work?

Spun Cuppa

This is how it works. If you can't get used to it go support Crawley Town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXWq34XByjc

That's a great video. I can understand all the build up play, and the seemingly easy incision into the six yard box through their back four, but it falls down when teams come here and defend with 8/9 players around their box.

I still reckon mixing it a little round the D would be fruitful

Where is this Crawley you mention?

Spun Cuppa

Just watching Arse demolish Sunderland on MotD, and they pass it around the D brilliantly. Perhaps we don't have creative players of that calibre, but it seems our centre mids are too defensive minded, and we need a spark of nous in there ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here