Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings v Wigan (h)

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Kuszczak 6 - frustratingly indecisive when we were trying to push for an equaliser
Bruno 6 - some lovely interplay but some frustratingly predictable passes that were intercepted
Greer 6.5 - Frustratingly unnotable
Upson 6 - frustratingly pointless ball that got intercepted giving them the game
Ward 6 - Frustratingly ineffective going forward
Lopez 7 - Put in some lovely balls that were frustratingly wasted by Ulloa
Ince 6 - Frustratingly kept getting the ball caught under his feet
Stephens 6 - Frustratingly unremarkable
Orlandi 6 - Frustratingly unremarkable
Ulloa 4 - Frustratingly terrible first touch, lack of desire to attack any of the three fantastic chances to score, yes, that 4 takes his goal into account
Rodriguez 6 - Frustratingly unremarkable

Buckley 5 - Frustratingly embarrassing dive to win a penalty, should have been booked for that
Lualua 5.5 - Frustratingly didn't use his pace (did put in one of the lovely crosses that Ulloa pulled his head away from to avoid heading it into the goal)
Obika 5 - Frustratingly didn't get that goal Stat Brother predicted, but otherwise a decent performance

In case it's not clear, I'm a little frustrated by the match at the moment. I might adjust my marks later.

Bad game from ulloa, terrible first touch (bar one notable exception), at least three glorious opportunities to score (including one from lualua where he seemed to pull out of heading it) that he just show no desire to take, as if he was afraid tha ball might hurt if it touches him - apparently he is playing injured (which is how he got hurt earlier this season), is it worth the risk?

I know I sound negative. However, I thought we started well, controlled the match but didn't really press Wigan the way we did with Leeds and Doncaster where it was essentially an onslaught, their goal came against the run of play. Continued to control for a while, but it felt like an end of season, nothing on the line type of game with several wasted chances. It was mostly the second half that really soured me on the match.

Conceding early (this season's equivalent of conceding in the last five minutes) cost us. It allowed Wigan to spend the rest of the game just packing out their penalty box to stop us. It was so clear what they were doing and we had no answer for it, we just kept doing the same thing. It seemed like when we won the ball the Wigan attack were more interested in getting into the Wigan box than our attack was. They'd have 11 men in the box for our corners, we'd have a couple back on the half way line, a few on the edge of the box, two in the corner to take it. When you're trying t pick out 3-4 players out of a box packed full of the defending team, it is going to take something special, or some sort of mistake to get a goal. When it was just a general attack, our midfield and defence seemed to hang back until the wigan players had packed out the box, meanwhile our wingers are trying to get the ball to Ulloa in the middle of the ten black shirts. Which is perhaps the sort of tactic you can try when you only need one goal, but when you need two just to draw level, it's not good enough. You need to attack quicker, you need to get more men in the box, you need to not float every cross in (try pinging some across the goal in the hopes of a nick or OG).

Al Habsi played the time wasting to perfection. Pushed it as far as he could, after the warning take the first couple quickly to make it seem like you've listened then gradually take a bit longer. I hate time wasting, but he played it perfectly.

I thought other than not clamping down on the time wasting, the ref got most things right.

Seems a lot of our fans need an anatomy lesson:

This is an arm.

left-arm.svg

When there is a handball in football, it occurs because there has been (usually deliberate) contact between this appendage and the ball.

It is not handball if a cross hits a player in the groin. No need to get angry at the ref for not giving a penalty for handball when it hits someone in the testicular region.

It is not handball if a cross hits a player in the chest, either.

This is why the referee gave a handball against Bruno in the dying moments of the game.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Kuszczak 6
Bruno 8 MoM
Ward 6
Upson 6
Greer 6
Ince 6
Stephens 8
Lopez 7 - great first half, bad move by Oscar to switch him to the left.
Orlandi 7
Rodriguez 5
Ulloa 6 - shocking touch, but keeps scoring

Obika 4 better than vs Hull
KLL 5
Buckley 6 looked most likely to create an opening.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
Kuszczak 6 - frustratingly indecisive when we were trying to push for an equaliser
Bruno 6 - some lovely interplay but some frustratingly predictable passes that were intercepted
Upson 6 - frustratingly pointless ball that got intercepted giving them the game
Ulloa 4 - Frustratingly terrible first touch, lack of desire to attack any of the three fantastic chances to score, yes, that 4 takes his goal into account

Buckley 5 - Frustratingly embarrassing dive to win a penalty, should have been booked for that
Lualua 5.5 - Frustratingly didn't use his pace (did put in one of the lovely crosses that Ulloa pulled his head away from to avoid heading it into the goal)
Obika 5 - Frustratingly didn't get that goal Stat Brother predicted, but otherwise a decent performance

In case it's not clear, I'm a little frustrated by the match at the moment. I might adjust my marks later.

Bad game from ulloa, terrible first touch (bar one notable exception), at least three glorious opportunities to score (including one from lualua where he seemed to pull out of heading it) that he just show no desire to take, as if he was afraid tha ball might hurt if it touches him - apparently he is playing injured (which is how he got hurt earlier this season), is it worth the risk?

I know I sound negative. However, I thought we started well, controlled the match but didn't really press Wigan the way we did with Leeds and Doncaster where it was essentially an onslaught, their goal came against the run of play. Continued to control for a while, but it felt like an end of season, nothing on the line type of game with several wasted chances. It was mostly the second half that really soured me on the match.

Conceding early (this season's equivalent of conceding in the last five minutes) cost us. It allowed Wigan to spend the rest of the game just packing out their penalty box to stop us. It was so clear what they were doing and we had no answer for it, we just kept doing the same thing. It seemed like when we won the ball the Wigan attack were more interested in getting into the Wigan box than our attack was. They'd have 11 men in the box for our corners, we'd have a couple back on the half way line, a few on the edge of the box, two in the corner to take it. When you're trying t pick out 3-4 players out of a box packed full of the defending team, it is going to take something special, or some sort of mistake to get a goal. When it was just a general attack, our midfield and defence seemed to hang back until the wigan players had packed out the box, meanwhile our wingers are trying to get the ball to Ulloa in the middle of the ten black shirts. Which is perhaps the sort of tactic you can try when you only need one goal, but when you need two just to draw level, it's not good enough. You need to attack quicker, you need to get more men in the box, you need to not float every cross in (try pinging some across the goal in the hopes of a nick or OG).

Al Habsi played the time wasting to perfection. Pushed it as far as he could, after the warning take the first couple quickly to make it seem like you've listened then gradually take a bit longer. I hate time wasting, but he played it perfectly.

I thought other than not clamping down on the time wasting, the ref got most things right.

This is an arm.

left-arm.svg

When there is a handball in football, it occurs because there has been (usually deliberate) contact between this appendage and the ball.

It is not handball if a cross hits a player in the groin. No need to get angry at the ref for not giving a penalty for handball when it hits someone in the testicular region.

This is why the referee gave a handball against Bruno in the dying moments of the game.

that must have taken a while. all good points though :thumbsup:

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
TK 6
Bruno 8 MOTM
Ward 7
Greer 6
Upson 6
Ince 7
Stephens 7
Lopez 7
Orlandi 7
Rodriguez 6
Ulloa 6
Obika 6
KLL 6
Buckley 7

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Tomas -5- didnt do anything apart from pick the ball out the net
Bruno -6- got forward well , gave away unnecessary corner for their 2nd
Greer -6- steady but poor distribution
Upson -6- unlucky for their first goal
Ward -6- got forward well
Ince - 7- great presence in midfield
Stephens -7- wanted ball a lot dictated play
orlandi - 7- did better at left back isnt a centre mid
David -6- Did ok but not motm
Rodriguez -5- forgot he was playing Don't know what he brings that ash didn't
Ulloa -7- right place right time for goal. Who else is gonna put ball in the back of net

Buckley -7- made things happen but dive was awful
Lualua -5- didn't do much crossing poor
Obika -7- got a lot of stick recently but got into right positions today and was unlucky with his half chance

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
All 6 apart from Stephens 7.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Kuszczak 6 He gets more and more flustered when passing the ball out with every game.
Bruno 5 Pointless corner conceded and gives the opposition the opportunity to cross every time.Can't defend! No good doing flashy shit when you don't do the basics.
Ward 5 Appears to be slowing down.
Upson 5 Bad mistake, ok for the rest of the game
Greer 5 Prefer Dunk to have a chance in the league. Slows the game down far too much.
Ince 8 MOM
Stephens 5
Lopez 6 - A really terrific game by his standards this season but......
Orlandi 6
Rodriguez 4 Did nothing
Ulloa 3 - shocking touch, keeps scoring but should have been more committed in the box.

Obika 3
KLL 4 Shouldn't just stand there with the ball for ages before moving on.
Buckley 1 Nearly all points taken away for diving..an embarrassment.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I enjoyed the game, but very very frustrating that we came away with no points instead of three. Wigan, I thought, were poor and there for the taking if we had taken our chances.

Kuszczack 5. Not his best game, but I don't believe he could have done anything about the goals. Indecisive, very slow coming off his line on a couple of occasions and poor distribution.
Bruno 7. Some great stuff from him today, but also the usual lapses (but maybe fewer of them).
Greer 7. Decent enough game and a good shot on goal.
Upson 6. Loses a point for giving the ball away for Wigan's first goal. Otherwise an OK game.
Ward 7. Some good defending and some decent forages forward, but one awful piece of defending in the 2nd half when he lost his man on the line.
Stephens 8. Best game since signing. Impressed. Great shot which hit the bar. MOM.
Ince 8. Another good game. He has a bit of the Peter Smith about him when you're sure he has lost the ball and then, suddenly, he comes away with it.
Lopez 7. The first half was possibly his best 45 mins of the season, but faded badly towards the end of the game.
Orlandi 7. I liked his interchanges with Lopez in the first half. Looked like a good understanding between them. But his overall game not up to last season's standard.
Rodrigues 5. Mostly because I really didn't see him do anything of note. Disappointing.
Ulloa 7. Back to something like his best, but his ball control still lacking. Too many times it bounces off him straight to the opposition. Nicely taken goal. Should have had a second.

Subs:
Buckley 6. Not as good as on Monday.
Lua Lua 6. Frustrating.
Obika 5. Better than on Monday, but there again could not have put in a worse performance.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

This is an arm.

left-arm.svg

To be fair, I think quite a few of the 'handball' shouts are more ironic and out of desperation than serious calls.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
To be fair, I think quite a few of the 'handball' shouts are more ironic and out of desperation than serious calls.

Yes, though to be fair there were double standards when Ulloa was penalised in the first half. Ref wasn't awful, but having pointed at his watch to the keeper, to then stop play for a lecture was ridiculous. The warning was the pointing of the watch, he should not then jog 50 yards, just to lecture him - he should have been booked.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I enjoyed the game, but very very frustrating that we came away with no points instead of three. Wigan, I thought, were poor and there for the taking if we had taken our chances.

Kuszczack 5. Not his best game, but I don't believe he could have done anything about the goals. Indecisive, very slow coming off his line on a couple of occasions and poor distribution.
Bruno 7. Some great stuff from him today, but also the usual lapses (but maybe fewer of them).
Greer 7. Decent enough game and a good shot on goal.
Upson 6. Loses a point for giving the ball away for Wigan's first goal. Otherwise an OK game.
Ward 7. Some good defending and some decent forages forward, but one awful piece of defending in the 2nd half when he lost his man on the line.
Stephens 8. Best game since signing. Impressed. Great shot which hit the bar. MOM.
Ince 8. Another good game. He has a bit of the Peter Smith about him when you're sure he has lost the ball and then, suddenly, he comes away with it.
Lopez 7. The first half was possibly his best 45 mins of the season, but faded badly towards the end of the game.
Orlandi 7. I liked his interchanges with Lopez in the first half. Looked like a good understanding between them. But his overall game not up to last season's standard.
Rodrigues 5. Mostly because I really didn't see him do anything of note. Disappointing.
Ulloa 7. Back to something like his best, but his ball control still lacking. Too many times it bounces off him straight to the opposition. Nicely taken goal. Should have had a second.

Subs:
Buckley 6. Not as good as on Monday.
Lua Lua 6. Frustrating.
Obika 5. Better than on Monday, but there again could not have put in a worse performance.

Great shot? Bad miss more like.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
I thought we played well today and typified our life at The Amex.Loads of quality possession and flowing moves but nothing to show for this! It is plainly obvious we have been lacking quality striker options and back up. Ulloa is good enough, but we could get more from him if he had competition for places.
He is an obvious starter at the moment.Apart fromhim and PIG,we have decent competition everywhere else!

Kusczak 6 ok
Bruno 6.5 Good on the ball,but poor delivery of crosses and defensively unreliable at times.
Ward 6 Quiet today.
Upson 6.5 mistake for 1st goal otherwise solid.
Greer 7 Good game apart from wild pass in 88th minute.
Stephens 7 Best game at The Amex to date.Starting to settle and looking to impose himself more.
Ince 8 A real presence! Strong and didnt give the ball away.Unlucky with 25 yarder in 2nd half. My MOM!
Orlandi 8 Starting to look like his old self again, used the ball well and a threat from midfield.
Lopez 8 Thought he had his best game for ages and also looking like the Dave of old!
Rodriguez 6 Lots of effort, but didnt pose much of a threat.
Ulloa 6 Can do much better! there was some quality put into the final third today that he could have capitalised on!
Buckley 6.5 Looked dangerous, need to get him fit!
LuaLua 6 Not up to pre Hull performances.
Obika 6 He needs to be given a chance like Rodrigues.Really hope he proves the instututionalised moaners wrong!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Rodriguez 6
Obika 5.

You seriously think Ulloa was worse than Rodriguez and Obika?

Jul 7, 2003
Interesting mix of views on Stephens. I thought he had a great game today, always wanted the ball, driving forward in a similar way to Crofts.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I can't be bothered to write out stuff for the whole team, but it was the worst I've seen Upson play for us. Admittedly the cock-up that led to their goal might have affected him but his touch and decision making was definitely below par.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Some people around me were getting really angry about some of the "handball" shouts. It was ridiculous.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You seriously think Ulloa was worse than Rodriguez and Obika?

At the moment, yes. But at the moment I'm still frustrated by Ulloa's terrible first touch (way worse than anything I've seen from Obika) and his lack of desire to attack some sublime balls, and his inability to make something of Lopez's fantastic first half ball. But like I said at the end of that post, I may adjust my marks when I'm less frustrated. Rodriguez's mark is mostly because I didn't note anything particularly good or bad, and so he gets a 6 because I thought the team average today was a 6.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Kusczak 6 Safe, no chance with the goals. As ever, distribution could have been better.
Bruno 6 Still frustrates, some of his passes/crosses were abysmal. Also, the corner they scored from - wasn't the ball going out for a goal kick before he touched it?
Ward 7.5 Very under-rated player, great coming forward, got in some good crosses.
Upson 6.5 His mistake changed the course of the game.
Greer 6.5 Didn't do a lot wrong.
Stephens 6 A bit of a mixed bag, he lost the ball a fair few times, and some badly misplaced passes, but I think he's going to improve.
Ince 8 MOM
Orlandi 7 Did Ok, but nothing remarkable.
Lopez 6 Still way off his best. Sponsors made him MOM - not sure what they were thinking...
Rodriguez 4 Can honestly say I can't really remember him doing anything. Is he good enough?
Ulloa 7 Apart from the goal he just didn't get the chances today. Wigan defence did a bit of a job on him.
Buckley 8 Best I've seen him for a while I think, always looked capable of creating something.
LuaLua 6 Didn't really have the impact we were hoping for when he came on, though as always looked dangerous and had one decent shot.
Obika 5 Better than the Hull game, he did create a decent chance for himself though the end product was poor.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here