Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Had a very good discussion at HT about Dunk, my view is he will play a lot next season and with Upson however my learned Roar type disagreed.

I think Oscar is too scared to drop Greer for Dunk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Maybe. But Dunk has lapses of concentration which are costly, Hull was another one when he was on his heels for their goal.

That said, he did look like he'd gained some of his old form vs Hull. The worrying thing would be if Upson was dropped instead of Greer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As everybody knows I am not a fan of Dunk but I would rest Upson, not because of his costly mistake today, but because of age and tiredness and play Dunk and Greer Monday night.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
He's a good player who will come good, Anybody who thought he was going to come in for a rare game against premier league opposition and be give a 100% faultless display is a bit deluded. Upson has been a brilliant player for us this season but even he got one wrong today.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As everybody knows I am not a fan of Dunk but I would rest Upson, not because of his costly mistake today, but because of age and tiredness and play Dunk and Greer Monday night.

Please no, Dunk will learn a whole load more about the art of defending playing with Upson as opposed to Greer who is lower league.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As I don't pay the bills, (I guess to put that correctly it should be 'carry the debt') I think promotion this season, however unlikely, would be counter productive.

Another year in the Championship should give Dunk, March, Chicksen & Stephens time to cement their places.
As great as Ince is, for him to have a full season 'bossing' the opposition, can only be a positive.

I have every faith in Oscar being able to smash this division to pieces.
Taking us up this year (once again I know that's looking unlikely anyway) would have him right back to square one, again.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I would play Dunk with Upson now.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He's a good player who will come good, Anybody who thought he was going to come in for a rare game against premier league opposition and be give a 100% faultless display is a bit deluded. Upson has been a brilliant player for us this season but even he got one wrong today.

All of the above is fair, but the trouble is in recent times Dunk tends to switch off once per game and it can be costly. As you say Upson got it wrong today, but I can count his lapses on one hand......

Dunks time will come........

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
As I said after the Hull game. Both Upson and Greer could potentially be gone at the end of this season. I personally think Upson will probably see out the rest of his career with us as he doesn't strike me as the money grabbing type and seems to enjoy playing for us. Obviously he made a mistake today but I still think he could play for a low end Premiership team if he wanted to. As for Greer, I suppose it depends whether Oscar wants to keep him or not. I must admit I was fairly critical of some of his performances at the start of this season but recently he's looked back to his old self, I still think he's not quick enough which is why we are sometimes left exposed by pacier teams (Watford being a prime example) but our defencive record is still one of the best in the league I believe. Coming back to Dunk, I think he'd add a bit of pace and could quite easily slot into our defence is this division.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
As I don't pay the bills, (I guess to put that correctly it should be 'carry the debt') I think promotion this season, however unlikely, would be counter productive.

Another year in the Championship should give Dunk, March, Chicksen & Stephens time to cement their places.
As great as Ince is, for him to have a full season 'bossing' the opposition, can only be a positive.

Taking us up this year (once again I know that's looking unlikely anyway) would have him right back to square one, again.

Fully agree we're not ready for promotion yet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fully agree we're not ready for promotion yet.
But there's no reason why those 5 can't hold there own, up a division, when ready.

It would be unfortunate to gain promotion and have to get in, at least 3 players, when those guys are so close.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Agree with you. We'd be humiliated in a higher league.

I don't think Oscar will be with us next year though, just a feeling.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Not sure I agree that Dunk was at fault for the Hull goal. He starts in a good position to deal with anything hit the air, then Sagbo runs across him to receive the whipped cross to feet. At this point he's shaped to shoot first time and Dunk has no real choice but to try and block this - if he didn't and Sagbo had shot first time and scored, he'd be blamed for not blocking it. Instead it's a great touch and finish that would have sold many defenders with much more experience

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Not sure I agree that Dunk was at fault for the Hull goal. He starts in a good position to deal with anything hit the air, then Sagbo runs across him to receive the whipped cross to feet. At this point he's shaped to shoot first time and Dunk has no real choice but to try and block this - if he didn't and Sagbo had shot first time and scored, he'd be blamed for not blocking it. Instead it's a great touch and finish that would have sold many defenders with much more experience

Exactly. Classy goal by their striker.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Why would you rush into changing a back line that has the third best defensive record in the whole of the Championship?

Greers legs have gone. When it happens during a season teams always stick with the defender. They shouldn't.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I am not advocating that for league games just this one cup tie for which I think the result is unimportant.

It's our best chance of getting to Wembley this year in any competition. The result is bloody important to me or I would not be going Monday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have different opinions and aims as I would sooner we put eveything into the league games to get to Wembley in the play offs with a realistic chance of winning rather than be slaughtered and embarrassed by Poyet or in the cup semi finals.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Greers legs have gone. When it happens during a season teams always stick with the defender. They shouldn't.

Hmm. Ok then. Seems to have been playing okay to me. Maybe you should let the Scotland national team know as well - they obviously haven't noticed how crap he is now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here