Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Oscar getting the support he deserves/needs from above?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
This tweet post game has me a little worried

[tweet]437283117934866432[/tweet]

From very early on he has wanted an attacking midfielder and more up top and here we are end of Feb and he is still asking. Whether that is Burke, the scouting or, gulp, the top man in Mr Bloom have they supported Oscar as much as they could have? Or, having seen what he can do with all the injuries are they happy to let him get on with it and the players he currently has?

Last edited:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Can't see the twitter message as on tapatalk. Can you please copy and paste

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I can't see the tweet, but could it be that they've just not been able to secure the players he wants? It may not be for a lack of trying, more that we're not as attractive proposition (whether that be monetarily, geographically etc) to players than we think we are.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Can't see the twitter message as on tapatalk. Can you please copy and paste

Courtesy of Mr Naylor

OG re loans: "I don't know." Would you like to? "Yep, of course, but I would like from a long time ago."

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I personally think that this season is about consolidating, seeing where the team needs miproving and going for it next year. Bloom has stated he doesn't like doing deals in Jan and pre-season Oscar wouldn't have known what was needed.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This tweet post game has me a little worried

[tweet]437283117934866432[/tweet]

From very early on he has wanted an attacking midfielder and more up top and here we are end of Feb and he is still asking. Whether that is Burke, the scouting or, gulp, the top man in Mr Bloom have they supported Oscar as much as they could have? Or, having seen what he can do with all the injuries are they happy to let him get on with it and the players he currently has?

Need to take the spaces out before/after the mark up.

OG re loans: "I don't know." Would you like to? "Yep, of course, but I would like from a long time ago." #bhafc

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
What if the only players that are available aren't right for what Oscar wants?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Any manager we have is going to be frustrated by the stance we have on FFP - even if it is the way forward long term. Don't think there's anything wrong with him making the point that he can see the problems and would like to address them. In fact that's only fair as otherwise he'll be the one that cops the flak if we fall short. Hopefully it doesn't indicate a rift with the board - he seems a pretty sensible bloke. Of course, if someone came in and offered him a job AND loads of money to spend, he'd be mad not to go. So it's always a risk.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Interesting to see that Mick McCarthy said Ipswich have no plans to loan in a replacement for David McGoldrick - their top scorer, as they feel there's no-one good enough available. It's an overlooked problem in this world where a lot of people seem to assume we can just pick up any number of proven goalscorers at any time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It would appear that the players brought in during Oscars time arent generally good enough. Not sure who is responsible for bringing jn Obika, which was obviously a mistake.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Its fairly obvious he wasn't supported in the transfer window. Feel like he has been let down be the board slightly.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think this is an odd season for transfers at the moment.

With FFP really starting to kick in and (some) clubs beginning to take it seriously, there is a disconnect. The clubs want players on less wages/smaller fees but the players haven't yet realised what FFP means for them. They still want the high wages and therefore clubs don't want them as it'll break their new wage structure. Only when the players are out of contract and can't get new deals because of their outlandish demands will we see a change of mindset and a lowering of demands.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It would appear that the players brought in during Oscars time arent generally good enough. Not sure who is responsible for bringing jn Obika, which was obviously a mistake.

Which players. Andrews? Ward? Stephens? Chicksen? All seem ok to me

Obika is probably the standard we're likely to get loan-wise up front - and Rodriguez has been here five minutes.

So that leaves Agustein. Probably the one real disappointment given how good he SHOULD be. Given the budget we have, it seems like we've chosen fairly well overall. You can't blame Burke and colleagues for the budget.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Then that is fair enough, but that little statement suggests to me he is not happy (may be reading far too much into it) that he has not been given the tools to help him do the job he is here to do.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It doesn't seem to me as if Burke has been doing his job well enough.. He can't seem to bring the right players in, or keep hold of our best ones.

Who are the "best" players that have left? Which of those was Burke responsible for not retaining?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Yep, that's so obvious after just a couple of hours football, just as it was with Conway.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Since the summer we've brought in exclusively Championship standard players but it is still the Gus era players that make the difference in matches.

There's been nothing to get the pulse racing like Vicente, Ulloa or Bridge. Even given the constraints of FFP with the transfer surplus this season I expected more. Not being able to land Grabban, seeing him return to Bournemouth and not having an equivalent Plan B was particularly disappointing.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Which players. Andrews? Ward? Stephens? Chicksen? All seem ok to me

Obika is probably the standard we're likely to get loan-wise up front - and Rodriguez has been here five minutes.

So that leaves Agustein. Probably the one real disappointment given how good he SHOULD be. Given the budget we have, it seems like we've chosen fairly well overall. You can't blame Burke and colleagues for the budget.

Why not, we are told that is an increased budget to the previous season that brought in Bridge, Hammond on loan and the permanent signings of Crofts, Bruno, Kusczak, Lopez and Orlandi. I know which set of signings look the best to me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here