Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Park and Ride Route - Email from the Club

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
Dear all,

I've often wondered (and been frustrated) why some park and ride buses from Mithras House and Mill Road sit in the traffic jam on the A27 when making their way to the game, rather than divert through the university car parks to speed things up. Its a bit on and off it seems and I always assumed it was down to the driver as to when they would pull off into the university or not.

It can make the difference between an extra 10-15 minutes journey time or a quicker, smoother one.

I emailed Paul Barber on this and I received a reply from the Transport Manager at the club today and thought I would share it for those that have experienced the same frustrations...

"Thank you for your feedback. As you know we do use the University roads for some P&R buses. The University is private land so we have to comply with the requirements of the landowners. They agreed that this season we could re-route a few buses through the University during the periods when the slip road is very busy to see if this reduces the journey times. They only allowed a few buses as they were concerned about the impacts the extra buses would have on their staff and the standard bus service that use the University roads. When and which buses are re-routed through the University is the decision of the bus company supervisors, and is based on the volume of traffic that they observe using the slip road. So when the slip road looks busy they advise the drivers to use the University until the slip road clears again. This way we are able to minimise the number of buses using the University roads. As you will appreciate this would seem a bit 'hit and miss' but there is a method to what we do. We have agreed with the Universities security team that we will review this operation in the summer with the view to making it a permanent arrangement for next season. This would obviously be subject to the University's approval. If we do secure an agreement we will publicize during the summer. Once again thank you for your constructive feedback. If you have any further questions or concerns feel free to contact me.

Steve Reeves
Transport Manager"

D

Deleted member 22389

Dear all,

I've often wondered (and been frustrated) why some park and ride buses from Mithras House and Mill Road sit in the traffic jam on the A27 when making their way to the game, rather than divert through the university car parks to speed things up. Its a bit on and off it seems and I always assumed it was down to the driver as to when they would pull off into the university or not.

It can make the difference between an extra 10-15 minutes journey time or a quicker, smoother one.

I emailed Paul Barber on this and I received a reply from the Transport Manager at the club today and thought I would share it for those that have experienced the same frustrations...

"Thank you for your feedback. As you know we do use the University roads for some P&R buses. The University is private land so we have to comply with the requirements of the landowners. They agreed that this season we could re-route a few buses through the University during the periods when the slip road is very busy to see if this reduces the journey times. They only allowed a few buses as they were concerned about the impacts the extra buses would have on their staff and the standard bus service that use the University roads. When and which buses are re-routed through the University is the decision of the bus company supervisors, and is based on the volume of traffic that they observe using the slip road. So when the slip road looks busy they advise the drivers to use the University until the slip road clears again. This way we are able to minimise the number of buses using the University roads. As you will appreciate this would seem a bit 'hit and miss' but there is a method to what we do. We have agreed with the Universities security team that we will review this operation in the summer with the view to making it a permanent arrangement for next season. This would obviously be subject to the University's approval. If we do secure an agreement we will publicize during the summer. Once again thank you for your constructive feedback. If you have any further questions or concerns feel free to contact me.

Steve Reeves
Transport Manager"

Don't know what it is like using the Park & Ride buses as I usually book the bus. I have often wondered why they couldn't load up the buses going to Mithras and Mill road buy the Bus stop on the A27, that would mean cars would get out slightly quicker and it would be less busy up at the main car park.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Interesting. Guess that makes sense.

I've wondered whether they have ever seriously looked at allowing the P&R buses to use the left hand lane of the slip road coming from the A27. A few drivers do seem to do it and it seems to make sense from the point of view of reducing journey times and increasing the capacity of the slip road itself. There are obvious highway/legal issues in formally 'allowing' buses to use the left hand lane to then turn right at the mini-roundabout at the top of the slip road, which might be why its left to the individual driver to decide, but with appropriate signs/stewarding/policing it would seem feasible in theory?

For evening games in particular, the extra minutes spent on the P&R bus queuing in traffic can often make the difference between having enough time to grab a pint/pie before the game or not. Solve that issue and everyone is a winner!!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Don't know what it is like using the Park & Ride buses as I usually book the bus. I have often wondered why they couldn't load up the buses going to Mithras and Mill road buy the Bus stop on the A27, that would mean cars would get out slightly quicker and it would be less busy up at the main car park.

This is thinkling outside the box

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I used the Mithras House P&R on Monday and the bus company had instructed the drivers to use the university route on the way to the match. Suffice to say we drove straight into a jam in the university while the traffic on the A27 slip road sped by above us. It took apx. 30 minutes to get to the ground. You can't win em all!!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
When I was a boy, my parents called the central dangly bit of my set of three dangly bits my "thinkle". So, I think you'll find that it is in fact possible to beat a good thinkle....!

ooh when i was a very small boy my mum used to say do i need to go for a tinkle...maybe it was a thinkle

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought that it was common knowledge that the P&R buses generally don't go through the university because the uni won't allow it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here