Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saltdean Lido - Conran plans looking good

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Wow. Wonder what he's going to put in it?

I personally don't think the place has ever recovered from getting rid of the old ship-shaped climbing frame I used to clamber over in my swimming trunks in the 1970s.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I spent a lot of my summer holidays down The Lido in the 80's. I remember the water being freezing every time. And the only way to get in was to bomb.

I also remember it having a really deep deep end? Or was that just because I was short back then?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A missed opportunity to demolish the Lido and Saltdean Tavern and provide a 4th P&R site.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
fantastic news. this should be one of the top attractions in B&H. At long last someone with some vision is onto this.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
terence Conran is the Habitat founder and has a number of expensive restaurants in London and I think was linked to the refurbishment of Embassy Court.

A missed opportunity to demolish the Lido and Saltdean Tavern and provide a 4th P&R site.

I appreciate that this is a suggestion about match-day P&R. But let's consider the possibility that Saltdean might be a suitable site for an all-week permanent park and ride scheme.

I used to manage a short-lived (Saturdays only) Park & Ride scheme that ran from the car park at Saltdean Lido. The combination of no bus lanes and a very difficult right-turn movement on to the A259 made the scheme fairly unattractive. But the bus lanes have now been built (apart from through the centre of Rottingdean) and access to the A259 could be improved as part of a decently funded permanent P&R scheme.

But I'd hate to see the Lido go, just to "improve" traffic conditions. Anyway ... since the bus lanes were built, the frequency of bus services has improved so much that it's not really necessary to run a P&R scheme in this area. People from Newhaven, Peacehaven and Telscombe Cliffs who want a fast ride into Brighton, with no parking hassles when you get there, should simply use the main bus routes. They are frequent enough.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I appreciate that this is a suggestion about match-day P&R. But let's consider the possibility that Saltdean might be a suitable site for an all-week permanent park and ride scheme.

I used to manage a short-lived (Saturdays only) Park & Ride scheme that ran from the car park at Saltdean Lido. The combination of no bus lanes and a very difficult right-turn movement on to the A259 made the scheme fairly unattractive. But the bus lanes have now been built (apart from through the centre of Rottingdean) and access to the A259 could be improved as part of a decently funded permanent P&R scheme.

But I'd hate to see the Lido go, just to "improve" traffic conditions. Anyway ... since the bus lanes were built, the frequency of bus services has improved so much that it's not really necessary to run a P&R scheme in this area. People from Newhaven, Peacehaven and Telscombe Cliffs who want a fast ride into Brighton, with no parking hassles when you get there, should simply use the main bus routes. They are frequent enough.

Blimey Lord B, I bet you're a hoot at dinner parties.

D

Deleted member 22389

I spent a lot of my summer holidays down The Lido in the 80's. I remember the water being freezing every time. And the only way to get in was to bomb.

I also remember it having a really deep deep end? Or was that just because I was short back then?

It's because you where short lol, and yes I also remember it was bloody freezing and I do remember how deep it was.
That was my treat being allowed to go with my friends to the Lido in the summer holidays. That would have also been in the 80's, probably 85-86 when I just started secondary school.

Thank god the Lido is not having the pool filled in and being turned in to flats, it would have been a disaster.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Great news before it followed the West Pier,hope the Council give Conran every assistance.

I hope they make a better fist of it than with Erinaceous and Albemarle at Shoreham Airport.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I'm all for flattening it and building a Disney Land. Yeeha!

My one lasting memory of the Lido was seeing dogs mess(i believe) in the kids sandpit. In all seriousness will six million quid be enough to sort the place out? I hope they're successful. I spent my earlier years just along the coast in Telscombe Cliffs.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

those bloody bus lanes. no one local feels as positive about them as you do LB. almost universally detested.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

hmmmm.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here