Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£300k a week for next 5.5 years. Would you lose interest if.....................

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
................the Albion got to that stage of player wages? Not sure how I feel about Rooney's new pay deal. At the moment it just seems so obscene.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Man U are desperate to stop the rot, its getting expensive for them. That said for the Glazers a fantastic return on investment, despite their share price tanking of late..

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Man Utd make a load of money (or would do if it wasn't the Glazers).

Why shouldn't players who play a part in this get paid a lot?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Say Bayern Munich were paying this much to Robben but were still charging fans realistic ticket prices and subsidising fan costs then it's kind of fair enough, when the costs to the fans are spiraling out of control then it's ludicrous. If that happened to us here at the Albion I'd be out.

D

Deleted member 22389

................the Albion got to that stage of player wages? Not sure how I feel about Rooney's new pay deal. At the moment it just seems so obscene.

That is before tax, and your right it is obscene. Let's say it's around £170,000 a week after tax, you could probably employ
340 Nurses on £500.00 per week for that.

But their careers are short we keep hearing, but they generate a lot of money, they are under a lot pressure, the fact is NOBODY IS WORTH THIS MONEY!!
That's just his wages, this does not include sponsorship.

It's just wrong when so many people are struggling. That's just my opinion.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Say Bayern Munich were paying this much to Robben but were still charging fans realistic ticket prices and subsidising fan costs then it's kind of fair enough, when the costs to the fans are spiraling out of control then it's ludicrous. If that happened to us here at the Albion I'd be out.

But that's another issue. Football is clearly not too expensive otherwise people wouldn't pay for it. No-one is forced to go to football matches or pay for it (unless you live in Haringey and your council hands Spurs money).

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
That is before tax, and your right it is obscene. Let's say it's around £170,000 a week after tax, you could probably employ
340 Nurses on £500.00 per week for that.

But their careers are short we keep hearing, but they generate a lot of money, they are under a lot pressure, the fact is NOBODY IS WORTH THIS MONEY!!
That's just his wages, this does not include sponsorship.

It's just wrong when so many people are struggling. That's just my opinion.

Employing nurses? That's what the tax is for...

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Within a decade there will be a £1m per week player.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
the fact is NOBODY IS WORTH THIS MONEY!!

Really? It's just basic economic market forces. Rooney is supplying goods that Man U demand; obviously they've both come to an agreement and Man U think he is worth the money that they're willing to pay.

I hate the money in football, I hate the spiralling costs etc, but wages are just basic economics. Whether we agree morally is a different matter.

D

Deleted member 22389

Man Utd make a load of money (or would do if it wasn't the Glazers).

Why shouldn't players who play a part in this get paid a lot?

Companies make a lot of money too, but the workers hardly see a rise in their own money.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Really? It's just basic economic market forces. Rooney is supplying goods that Man U demand; obviously they've both come to an agreement and Man U think he is worth the money that they're willing to pay.

I hate the money in football, I hate the spiralling costs etc, but wages are just basic economics. Whether we agree morally is a different matter.

I'd say Ronaldo and Messi, perhaps Ibrahimovic, ARE worth that money, because they are market leading professionals that bring in shedloads of commercial revenue. I don't think Rooney is in the top 25 players in the world in terms of ability, and he certainly isn't as marketable as the aforementioned.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The 300K a week has nothing to do with whether or not Rooney nor any other person is worth that sort of money - it is simply Man U protecting its investment in a player - it is the club that is treating him as a commodity.

Rooney had 18 months left on his contract, his capital value was dropping every day he didn't sign a new contract. If they wanted to sell him in the summer with just 12 months left on his contract they would be lucky to get £15M - now, with 5 years on his contract it will take 5 or 6 times that amount to get the club to sell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here