Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion FC, hotspot for homophobic abuse or just harmless jesting?

joelbuckle8

Feb 13, 2014
As an academic, the area of homophobia in football is becoming increasingly prevalent. Literature suggests that BHAFC are a team that fans focus this homophobic abuse on. The point of this post is to gauge fans opinions on whether home or away you are on the receiving end of such abuse and why do you think this happens?
What attitudes and behaviours have you witnessed whilst following Brighton and what do you think the reasons are that this happens?
Or on the flipside is it all taken out of context and it is just terrace banter, what do you want to see done?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
As an academic, the area of homophobia in football is becoming increasingly prevalent.

As a former academic, I don't understand what this means.

I don't understand how the "area of homophobia in football" can be "becoming increasingly prevalent" either.

BoF - Being unable to understand is not exclusively constrained to former academics. I've never been an academic and don't understand either.

OP (that's you, joelbuckle8) - which institution employs you? What project are you working on and who is funding it please? If you want our help, it might be an idea to first establish some credentials. All you've done so far is assert that you're an academic with no evidence using poor grammar, causing some mirth.

If I were a betting man, I'd say you're either a student, a tabloid journalist or a Palace fan on a wind up. But hey, call me a cynic and disprove me.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Can anyone be an academic or do you need a certificate?

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Hmm. I wonder why the team from the traditional "Gay Capital" of England get abuse aimed around Homosexuality.

Na, no idea.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When we've finished with this thread, can someone write my thesis for me, please.

'Why do academics and students have a reputation for being lazy and unable to form an original thought or opinion'?

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
As an academic, the area of homophobia in football is becoming increasingly prevalent. Literature suggests that BHAFC are a team that fans focus this homophobic abuse on. The point of this post is to gauge fans opinions on whether home or away you are on the receiving end of such abuse and why do you think this happens?
What attitudes and behaviours have you witnessed whilst following Brighton and what do you think the reasons are that this happens?
Or on the flipside is it all taken out of context and it is just terrace banter, what do you want to see done?

Very interesting first post...so are you a Brighton fan? Ever went to the Withdean, mid-week whilst it was pissing it down?

Are you a football fan in general? Do you support someone?

What is your definition of "banter"? Personally I see it as an excuse for acting like a complete and utter c*nt so in that case yes I do see homophobic abuse as "terrace banter" because people that do this sort of "banter" are quite frankly c*nts in my honest opinion.

And just out of curiosity, what literature!? The Argus does not count!

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
When we've finished with this thread, can someone write my thesis for me, please.

'Why do academics and students have a reputation for being lazy and unable to form an original thought or opinion'?

I can answer this...we are too hungover, sexually frustrated and obsessed with our new sports/societies we have joined. How many more words do you need?!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Also, I want more glory holes in the men's TOYLITS.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Somebody be nice to the OP, please.

Ok - I will be.

The reason for this homophobia is because we're all from San Francisco and are just here on our holidays.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
The reason for the homophobia is because we support a club situated in brighton, which has a higher-than-average proportion of homosexuals than in other parts of the country.

Or was I supposed to write a joke?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Anyone who can link this thread with CMS' groin tear? Please do.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I do receive a certain level of homophobic abuse ....it might be down to the fact I wear arse-less leather chaps to the game ....I'm not sure?

Is it verbal or physical?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here