Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Strap yourselves in, this is a BIG ONE.

sky_mx_sports1.png

Quarter Final TWO

===

Fawlty Towers

fawltytowers.jpg

Breezed past Red Dwarf, winning by a huge margin of close to 100 points. A pre-tournament favourite. The ultimate sitcom? Let's find out.

vs

===

Only Fools & Horses

Television-Only-Fo_2123000b.jpg

Made short work of Black Books in the Round of 16, as expected. Hugely popular, and seen as a real classic of British Comedy. This is some match up.​

Please use this chance to post VIDEOS and QUOTES of the comedy you are supporting. Make a case for why it deserves to progress.

Right...that's all the fluff done, let's get down to it, right after the break this'll get started...

...and it's LIIIIIVE!!

Last edited:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Difficult to compare these two, one ran for 12 episodes, all classics, the other ran for years (a bit too long, IMO). Would have to go for OFH, though, some episodes are still funny, but have seen all the FT too many times and I feel is rather dated (though was triffic back in the day).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm far more inclined to watch an episode of Only Fools when it comes on TV than I am to watch the amusing, yet largely overrated, Fawlty Towers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For me the writing in Fawlty Towers is just ludicrously TIGHT. It's near perfection. There isn't a single second wasted.

Fawlty Towers.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
OFAH was like a comedy soap opera drama. It played out longer threads within shorter individual episode plots. FT was 12 episodes because it was more of a comedy one liner. There wasn't really anywhere else it could go after the second series without repeating itself endlessly. Loved them both, but OFAH for me by a nose.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think this is a good assessment. Fawlty Towers was supremely written and performed, but it was essentially just Basil and/or Manuel ****ing things up, albeit in a very, very funny way.

Only Fools and Horses has far more substance, hence it lasted a lot longer.

For me though, OF&H just isn't as good a COMEDY as FT. It's not very funny. When a shows' most famous moment is someone falling over, you know it's not very funny.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For me though, OF&H just isn't as good a COMEDY as FT. It's not very funny. When a shows' most famous moment is someone falling over, you know it's not very funny.

This, really.

OFAH was an amusing enough show, but it was rarely VERY funny. The chandelier was very funny. Del falling over was funny. Trig's suggestion that they 'call him Rodney, after Dave' was funny. But there were 4 million episodes.

I can remember more genuinely funny lines from FT, from the six hours of that show.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh, and I had a real thing for Connie Booth / Polly, too. So that is extra reason to vote TOWERS.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

No one can watch this without laughing, I don't believe it would be possible!......brace yourself Rodney, brace yourself..... :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That's a big statement. Only Fools and Horses ISN'T funny? Wow. You've put the cat among the pigeons there. I agree that the scene with Del falling through the bar is hugely overplayed, overrated and not particularly amusing. However, there are HUNDREDS of other moments that are.

Plus, Only Fools and Horses has six funny characters: Del, Rodney, Granddad, Uncle Albert, Trigger and Boycie. Fawlty Towers only has three: Basil, Manuel and The Major.

I didn't say "not funny". I said not VERY funny. It's not. It's mildly amusing, and well written.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Plus, Only Fools and Horses has six funny characters: Del, Rodney, Granddad, Uncle Albert, Trigger and Boycie. Fawlty Towers only has three: Basil, Manuel and The Major.

Pah.

Uncle Albert was an UTTERLY shit replacement for Grandad. Uncle Albert was as funny as having your gonads blasted with a blow torch. Boycie was PAINFULLY unfunny. His missus had a few good lines, but his character was shit. Then they made a complete shit spin off to celebrate just how shit he was.

And you are wrong about the FT characters too. Polly and Sybil had all the best lines.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
When a shows' most famous moment is someone falling over, you know it's not very funny.

Don't confuse a show's most well-known moment with it's funniest. There are an absolute PLETHORA of OF&H moments which are funnier than Del falling through the bar. For me, part of the show's charm was the ability to seamlessly mix moments of genuine laugh-out-loud comedy with scenes full of poignancy, with the tension then inevitably being broken by Del's misuse of a badly-constructed French phrase.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here