Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I love this Curling

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
It's called Crown Green Bowls down here and the surface is generally in good nick so no need for the sweeping

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I heared on the TV yesterday that Tunbridge Wells has a curling rink?.
Anyway its a traditional Scotch game and they are adapted to messing about on ice in their freezing climate.
If the English played it the game would only last 5 ends and then abandoned due to numb toes.
We like to play on perfect grass the jocks are no good at croquet.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Not sure about curling in general, but I love the blonde job in the womens team.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Pleased that this babe won Gold :blush:

Attachments

• Kaitlyn Lawes.jpg
    Kaitlyn Lawes.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 498

It's called Crown Green Bowls down here and the surface is generally in good nick so no need for the sweeping
I think you'll find that Crown Green Bowls is a North of England sport. Down here, we play a related game on a flat green. Except in Lewes, where they play with flattened bowls, called cheeses, on a very lumpy green.

Kathy%20%20797.jpg

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

There's very few, if any crown green bowls clubs in the south, it's much more a northern sport. Plus the English Bowls Association (the governing body) is based in Worthing.

I used to bowl, always saw similarities to Curling...fancy giving it a go.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
There's very few, if any crown green bowls clubs in the south, it's much more a northern sport.

Never knew that. Always associated bowls with places like Eastbourne and Worthing. There's an indoor centre by the Shell garage by Preston Park I think

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Never knew that. Always associated bowls with places like Eastbourne and Worthing. There's an indoor centre by the Shell garage by Preston Park I think

Yeah, there is. There's two codes of Bowls: Crown Green & Flat Green. The basic difference is that in Crown Green there is a mound in the middle (the Crown) that players play over/around and in flat green the playing area is...well, flat. The clubs in places like Worthing, Eastbourne, Brighton, Chichester etc are all flat green.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Yeah, there is. There's two codes of Bowls: Crown Green & Flat Green. The basic difference is that in Crown Green there is a mound in the middle (the Crown) that players play over/around and in flat green the playing area is...well, flat. The clubs in places like Worthing, Eastbourne, Brighton, Chichester etc are all flat green.

learn something new every day

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I heared on the TV yesterday that Tunbridge Wells has a curling rink?.

Yep, coming up the A21 from Hastings it's signposted from the Blueboys roundabout. I've never been but heard you aren't allowed on the sheets (rink/lane) unsupervised at first. I'd love a go myself, having played a fair bit of bowls on grass before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here