Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plumbing Advice

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Suddenley our Bath hot water tap has started gurgling and spluttering with consequent reduced water flow.Presume there is air in the system so how did it get there and how do I get rid of it? Any advice gratefully recieved.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Suddenley our Bath hot water tap has started gurgling and spluttering with consequent reduced water flow.Presume there is air in the system so how did it get there and how do I get rid of it? Any advice gratefully recieved.

Could be your ball-valve in the large cold water tank in loft stuck up or blocked.
See if the tank is partially empty and if the ball-vale is letting water through quickly enough.
If not it could be an air-lock but unlikely if you haven't had this happen before:)
You did not mention if the hot water at the basin & sink unit is playing up as well?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Put a piece of hose or rubber shower hose onto each tap and turn on both taps. The cold water then goes into the hot tap and up the pipe and maybe stops the air block, if that is the problem. turn on slowly and make sure the hose is held in place over the taps. Maybe wear a raincoat?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I've had lots of air in the pipes lately too. Might be a local problem.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I've had lots of air in the pipes lately too. Might be a local problem.

I know you are trying to help but this will not be the case Doug, it sounds like it's his hot bath tap only, I don't think half of Seaford would have air in a hot pipe to their bath.
Have you had air in your cold main to your kitchen sink tap?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Put a piece of hose or rubber shower hose onto each tap and turn on both taps. The cold water then goes into the hot tap and up the pipe and maybe stops the air block, if that is the problem. turn on slowly and make sure the hose is held in place over the taps. Maybe wear a raincoat?

I like the raincoat advice!!:thumbsup:

It's very odd that it's only one hot tap.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Could be your ball-valve in the large cold water tank in loft stuck up or blocked.
See if the tank is partially empty and if the ball-vale is letting water through quickly enough.
If not it could be an air-lock but unlikely if you haven't had this happen before:)
You did not mention if the hot water at the basin & sink unit is playing up as well?

Full marks Simmo, I usually get an air lock on pipes if I decide to fit in an ' on the way home job':annoyed:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Whoops! The hot water tap on the bathroom sink dries up if we run the bath hot water. Presume both by the same hot water pipe. Will investigate loft tank tomorow.
The cold main to kitchen sink is fine.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Whoops! The hot water tap on the bathroom sink dries up if we run the bath hot water. Presume both by the same hot water pipe. Will investigate loft tank tomorow.
The cold main to kitchen sink is fine.

Do you have two bath taps or a mixer tap with shower attachment?

Is the cold water to your bathroom from the mains or the tank?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Do you have two bath taps or a mixer tap with shower attachment?

Is the cold water to your bathroom from the mains or the tank?

Plumbing is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-complicated:mad:
The hose pipe solution can be a laugh---wear a scuba suit :eek:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I was testing a shower that was fitted over a bath last week, the shower head suddenly moved and gave me, my tools and the bathroom floor a soaking.:facepalm:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

I don't have a scuba suit. How about my Albion Winter Coat that I bought from a bloke in a cafe a while back? (Unwanted gift, apparently).

Jul 7, 2003
I was testing a shower that was fitted over a bath last week, the shower head suddenly moved and gave me, my tools and the bathroom floor a soaking.:facepalm:

I use the old steaming shower for getting creases out of my shirts when travelling for work, Caused problems in Luzern a couple of years ago as the shower only had a curtain rather than a proper enclosure. I started up the hot shower, left my shirts hanging up and then closed the bathroom door. Got distracted by a work email and then noticed a damp patch rapidly spreading under the bathroom door. Opened up to find the the shower head had turned around and managed to put three inches of water in the bathroom floor. Had to make an embarrassing call to reception to get assistance (after removing the now flat shirts and changing the story) and the manager was very apologetic and said that they were trying to get the bathrooms upgraded as these rooms showers often caused problems.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

After changing some bath taps last week I told my son to turn the water on--which he did-------only to be drenched by the shower mixer above me that he had left open----he seemed to think it was my fault:moo:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I use the old steaming shower for getting creases out of my shirts when travelling for work, Caused problems in Luzern a couple of years ago as the shower only had a curtain rather than a proper enclosure. I started up the hot shower, left my shirts hanging up and then closed the bathroom door. Got distracted by a work email and then noticed a damp patch rapidly spreading under the bathroom door. Opened up to find the the shower head had turned around and managed to put three inches of water in the bathroom floor. Had to make an embarrassing call to reception to get assistance (after removing the now flat shirts and changing the story) and the manager was very apologetic and said that they were trying to get the bathrooms upgraded as these rooms showers often caused problems.

:lolol:
You got away with that one, good story.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I don't have a scuba suit. How about my Albion Winter Coat that I bought from a bloke in a cafe a while back? (Unwanted gift, apparently).

That'll do---thoroughly waterproof, as I can vouch for since I bought a NEW ONE to get me through the last couple of months:wink:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
After changing some bath taps last week I told my son to turn the water on--which he did-------only to be drenched by the shower mixer above me that he had left open----he seemed to think it was my fault:moo:

Did he laugh? I am:lolol:
I manage to do that at least once a month.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here