Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Log burners

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I am getting a quote tomorrow to see about having a log burner installed into my living room. Does anyone know the pros and cons of having one and will this potentially save me money on fuel bills. Any advice would be appreciated.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
We had one fitted at Foul Play HQ and it's lovely and cosy but with the cost of logs/coal I don't think it's any cheaper than gas to be honest. I'm glad we went for a multi-fuel stove as we've found that we get more heat from the coal and it lasts longer than the logs.

I have just got a quote. The burners can be peanuts in relation to fitting.

We don't have a chimney so by time we have that sorted, the new fireplace and hearth and an all signing all dancing snazzy looking stove, I'm in for the best part of £5k.

At least I will be able to keep warm if the accopolyspe arrives!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Got a source of free logs?

If not, it's gonna cost ya!

Besides, half the fun is cutting and splitting the logs yourself anyway. A bit of kindling splitting is very therapeutic too.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
We had one fitted at Foul Play HQ and it's lovely and cosy but with the cost of logs/coal I don't think it's any cheaper than gas to be honest. I'm glad we went for a multi-fuel stove as we've found that we get more heat from the coal and it lasts longer than the logs.

To be honest I'm not overly bothered about the cost of logs/coal I quite fancy sitting in front of a nice log fire in the middle of winter, which this year may well be August. I haven't got a chimney so will need something fitted think its gonna cost mind you.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Who got quoted £5,000 !!! Been ripped off there me thinks. Buy the liner yourself off the internet and also don't buy one of these Chinese log burners either as they crack very easy.
I done my homework and got a liner for £300.00 all approved by BS Standards and bought a Villager 5K Stove which doesn't require an airbrick for ventilation which cost £450.00 and the got in installed for about £300.00 I think And then in invested in an Eco Fan from Amazon for £90.00 and that pushes the heat around the front room and kitchen very well. Logs cost £80.00 a load down here and two loads have done me since October and heating hasn't been on once

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Try Grate Fireplaces in Portslade, the owner, Doug, is a huge Albion fan, and he is one who refuses to insist on an expensive flue liner unless it is 100% necessary. Seems to me that other companies chuck in the old "flue liner" con regardless, and charge an arm and a leg for it too.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Anyone in eastbourne who wants free logs, a dead tree fell into my garden a couple of months back. Hell of a lot of wood there...

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
put a thin metal sheet behind it - to reflect warmth back out.

most important: Get a flume with a key switch - so you can control the draw.....without this it will just eat wood and no control - even if you have flaps.

use pinebombs and almond shells for kindling.

Can also use fire-bricks inside - need less wood as make the inside space smaller.

If want a cheap log burner - get a metalwork dude to convert a gas bottle - will last years.

clean glass with newspaper -spit on it, rub it in the ash, and clean the inside of the glass.

do use the special rope on the inside of the door.

I love a log burner :)

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
They are great; much cleaner and more efficient than an open fire (we've had both and would never go back to an open fire). Don't get a fancy cast iron/enamel one as they soak up the heat rather than pumping it out; make sure it's as free-standing as possible so that most of the heat gets into the room rather than entering the wall; the tip about the flue 'key' or damper was good, we almost halved our wood consumption after fitting one.

enterprise

Jul 12, 2010
Who got quoted £5,000 !!! Been ripped off there me thinks. Buy the liner yourself off the internet and also don't buy one of these Chinese log burners either as they crack very easy.
I done my homework and got a liner for £300.00 all approved by BS Standards and bought a Villager 5K Stove which doesn't require an airbrick for ventilation which cost £450.00 and the got in installed for about £300.00 I think And then in invested in an Eco Fan from Amazon for £90.00 and that pushes the heat around the front room and kitchen very well. Logs cost £80.00 a load down here and two loads have done me since October and heating hasn't been on once

We've got a stovax log burner (wood only) and as above we haven't had the heating on for over a year. It's great to fill with log overnight, turn the air ventilation right down and come down in the morning and you've got a fire that can be boosted back up. I got a log delivery in the summer, allowed logs to dry completely out in the shed and they've lasted all winter (cost about £180). Great value if you ask me

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Had a multi fuel burner installed about 4 years ago to reduce our dependence on electricity and heating oil (no mains gas in these parts). Not cheap to install but is excellent, not only at providing decent warmth but is also a great focal point. Has been a real asset in the last two cold winters or just burning a log or three on to take the edge off in Autumn and Spring.

I agree with the comments about coal giving a longer burn than logs. Often coals will last overnight, hence it's a good idea to opt for a multi-fuel stove.

A word of caution about taking the DIY approach: do consider the potential effect on your house insurance if a) you elect not to have a 'HETAS' accredited installation and b) do not go without a flue liner unless you are certain about the state of the flue, as the liner protects against the creosote by products especially from burning unseasoned logs soaking into the mortar and cause a chimney fire and c) the chimney flue (even with a liner) must be regularly swept clean. Even if you decide to go for a DIY installation do not cut corners on maintaining the stove or by using unseasoned logs.

Our stove doesn't require an airbrick to be fitted but I do have a carbon monoxide detector, just in case.

I would take a long term view of the costs - pay more for a good stove and installation which if properly used and maintained will give many years safe service, making the investment seem better value.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
To be honest I'm not overly bothered about the cost of logs/coal I quite fancy sitting in front of a nice log fire in the middle of winter, which this year may well be August. I haven't got a chimney so will need something fitted think its gonna cost mind you.

We wouldn't be without ours now that's for sure. I'd shop around for prices though as they do seem to vary greatly in what they quote for fitting, especially if there's a bit of building work involved.

Craven Wine

Apr 29, 2012
Consider researching 'renewable heat incentive' if want a financial return on the wood burning option. You use an approved wood stove and heating system as a replacement for gas/oil systems! loads of money involved investing, but you should easily recover the outlay and more!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
We started using our fire place a few weeks ago. Logs alone burn really quickly, so add in some coal to slow them down and get much more warmth.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I am getting a quote tomorrow to see about having a log burner installed into my living room. Does anyone know the pros and cons of having one and will this potentially save me money on fuel bills. Any advice would be appreciated.

No advice about cost cutting but was the best money I ever spent on my house. Love those winter nights. I even put a trivet on top and do a slow pot roast, that saves on gas. Oh you wil never never regret it. Ensure you burn well seasoned logs, I but mine at least a year in advance and rotate the stock. The house gets so hot but it's a nice heat not a central heating heat.

Many a night with beer in hand watching the flames dance, sitting in my pants....yeah

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
We started using our fire place a few weeks ago. Logs alone burn really quickly, so add in some coal to slow them down and get much more warmth.

Logs burn slow on a log burner as you control the air flow

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We've got a Nordica stove in our front room......it is the best thing I've ever bought. I fitted it at Christmas and haven't needed to put the heating on since!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here