Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v Wigan 1997

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Stumbled across this on Youtube. Seemed apt to share it on here given Saturday's fixture.

Stunning rendition of 'We Are Brighton' at 2 minutes 30 seconds. North Stand was electric that day.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Funny how small the North looks now - it was VAST, nearly ENDLESS when I were a lad.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Was there that day on what was left of the East Terrace. Thought it was going to be my last visit to the Goldstone as I hadn't then been able to secure a ticket for the Donny game although I eventually managed to. Wigan were on their way to promotion and we were close to those extraordinary games with Doncaster and Hereford. When you consider what has happened to both teams since then it is almost unbelievable - not least Wigan - new stadium, FA Cup winners, European football....My abiding memory of that day is the Wigan fans singing Good Luck to the Albion from the South Stand at the end of the game. Great to see this footage.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Remember it well,Jeff Minton was fantastic that day,i think Wigan may have been top and we were scrapping for our lives.Oh my ,the North stand was fantastic.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Stumbled across this on Youtube. Seemed apt to share it on here given Saturday's fixture.

Stunning rendition of 'We Are Brighton' at 2 minutes 30 seconds. North Stand was electric that day.

Nice, thanks for that. 'We are Brighton' as always been my favourite song. I only started going a few years before this, just as everything went tits up. Weird that, that collection of very poor footballers will be forever etched on to my memory as the Brighton I first came to love.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Another game at the Goldstone we had no right to win. An outrageous 3 points against one of (if not maybe THE ?) top team in the division.

The home form in that run-in was just phenomenal, in such stark contrast to the abysmal away form. The only points I recall us dropping at home in the run-in was in that 4-4 v Orient, and even then, the 4 goals kept us up on goals scored (plus the 5 v Hartlepool at Fans Utd). Thank christ goals scored was the criteria that season instead of goal difference, otherwise a draw would NOT have been enough at Hereford. We stayed up courtesy of being 3 goals better than them, having scored 53 to their 50 (our GD was -17 to their -15).

Miraculous escape is such a cliche, but so true that year.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I attended that game strictly against doctor's orders. Had a hip replacement 2 weeks beforehand but there was no way I was going to miss it. Great memories.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
That was my last ever game at the Goldstone. 2nd last game of the season at home right?
Wigan were 2nd top i think at the time with a lot to play for and we done them 1-0.
What i remember about that game was how loud the wigan fans were after the match, they were all singing their hearts out only singing "goodluck Brighton". A lovely way to say goodbye to the ground and a reason to have a soft spot for Wigan.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Another game at the Goldstone we had no right to win. An outrageous 3 points against one of (if not maybe THE ?) top team in the division.

The home form in that run-in was just phenomenal, in such stark contrast to the abysmal away form. The only points I recall us dropping at home in the run-in was in that 4-4 v Orient, and even then, the 4 goals kept us up on goals scored (plus the 5 v Hartlepool at Fans Utd). Thank christ goals scored was the criteria that season instead of goal difference, otherwise a draw would NOT have been enough at Hereford. We stayed up courtesy of being 3 goals better than them, having scored 53 to their 50 (our GD was -17 to their -15).

It is not certain that every member of the division-winning Wigan side was 100 per cent sober when the game started. Paul Rogers would have been his usual superfit self but as for some of the others...

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
My strongest memory of that day is the Wigan 'keeper, running to take his place in the North goal before kick off, pointing at one end of the North Stand, and describing the length of it with his outstretched arm, nodding in appreciation at how packed it was from one end to the other. Odd that such a moment stands out - I don't remember the goal at all.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Although on the other hand, if it had been goal difference and we hadn't been deducted 2 points, we'd have stayed up even if we'd LOST at Hereford - Exeter would have gone down.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
image.jpg
Just looked in me ALBION scrap book and still have the ticket stub for that game :smile:

May 18, 2013
Useless piece of information: that was also the last game Rowland Myers did the matchday pa. His former Radio Sussex colleague, Richard Lindfield was on the mic for the final Goldstone match if I remember correctly.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Although on the other hand, if it had been goal difference and we hadn't been deducted 2 points, we'd have stayed up even if we'd LOST at Hereford - Exeter would have gone down.

Although strangely the FA/Football League had threatened to deduct 3 points, and by only deducting 2, they saved us from relegation.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Brilliant YouTube of one of the most ridiculous times to be a supporter of any club, at any time, ever. Fantastic.

It certainly didn't seem it in any way at the time but it was a sodding PRIVILEGE to have experienced those extraordinary times close up.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That was my last game inside the Goldstone - I watched the Donny game stood on a wall above the East Stand.

Was it a smash and grab? I remember Wigan were guaranteed promotion, but not the title at the time. I remember very little about the game itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here