Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Naming Rights

Brighton v Wigan 1997

0 Not allowed!
    Stumbled across this on Youtube. Seemed apt to share it on here given Saturday's fixture.

Stunning rendition of 'We Are Brighton' at 2 minutes 30 seconds. North Stand was electric that day.
    Oh, so you've highlighted.
    Hello, how are you.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Funny how small the North looks now - it was VAST, nearly ENDLESS when I were a lad.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Was there that day on what was left of the East Terrace. Thought it was going to be my last visit to the Goldstone as I hadn't then been able to secure a ticket for the Donny game although I eventually managed to. Wigan were on their way to promotion and we were close to those extraordinary games with Doncaster and Hereford. When you consider what has happened to both teams since then it is almost unbelievable - not least Wigan - new stadium, FA Cup winners, European football....My abiding memory of that day is the Wigan fans singing Good Luck to the Albion from the South Stand at the end of the game. Great to see this footage.

0 Not allowed!
      Remember it well,Jeff Minton was fantastic that day,i think Wigan may have been top and we were scrapping for our lives.Oh my ,the North stand was fantastic.
      Its not how big the dog is in the fight,its how big the fight is in the dog.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Keeping The Dream Alive. View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Stumbled across this on Youtube. Seemed apt to share it on here given Saturday's fixture.

Stunning rendition of 'We Are Brighton' at 2 minutes 30 seconds. North Stand was electric that day.
      Nice, thanks for that. 'We are Brighton' as always been my favourite song. I only started going a few years before this, just as everything went tits up. Weird that, that collection of very poor footballers will be forever etched on to my memory as the Brighton I first came to love.
      Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

0 Not allowed!
      Another game at the Goldstone we had no right to win. An outrageous 3 points against one of (if not maybe THE ?) top team in the division.

The home form in that run-in was just phenomenal, in such stark contrast to the abysmal away form. The only points I recall us dropping at home in the run-in was in that 4-4 v Orient, and even then, the 4 goals kept us up on goals scored (plus the 5 v Hartlepool at Fans Utd). Thank christ goals scored was the criteria that season instead of goal difference, otherwise a draw would NOT have been enough at Hereford. We stayed up courtesy of being 3 goals better than them, having scored 53 to their 50 (our GD was -17 to their -15).

Miraculous escape is such a cliche, but so true that year.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"
      North Stand Brighton Boy catfish's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I attended that game strictly against doctor's orders. Had a hip replacement 2 weeks beforehand but there was no way I was going to miss it. Great memories.
      See you in the morning down by the jetty.
      Banned

0 Not allowed!
      That was my last ever game at the Goldstone. 2nd last game of the season at home right?
      Wigan were 2nd top i think at the time with a lot to play for and we done them 1-0.
      What i remember about that game was how loud the wigan fans were after the match, they were all singing their hearts out only singing "goodluck Brighton". A lovely way to say goodbye to the ground and a reason to have a soft spot for Wigan.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Another game at the Goldstone we had no right to win. An outrageous 3 points against one of (if not maybe THE ?) top team in the division.

The home form in that run-in was just phenomenal, in such stark contrast to the abysmal away form. The only points I recall us dropping at home in the run-in was in that 4-4 v Orient, and even then, the 4 goals kept us up on goals scored (plus the 5 v Hartlepool at Fans Utd). Thank christ goals scored was the criteria that season instead of goal difference, otherwise a draw would NOT have been enough at Hereford. We stayed up courtesy of being 3 goals better than them, having scored 53 to their 50 (our GD was -17 to their -15).

Miraculous escape is such a cliche, but so true that year.
      It is not certain that every member of the division-winning Wigan side was 100 per cent sober when the game started. Paul Rogers would have been his usual superfit self but as for some of the others...

0 Not allowed!
      That game is featured in Saturday's 'get with the programme' article in the match programme.
      The definitive archive of Albion programmes