Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Legend'

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
"'Legend' is a word that far too often over-used..." is probably a phrase that far too often over-used.

Therefore can we define what makes a 'legend' - specifically in terms of the history and culture of Brighton & Hove Albion? The first part would need to ascertain what those criteria are; the second part being who fits those criteria.

Part 1. What are the criteria that make a 'legend'? And does this person need to fulful all of them to qualify? Let's narrow it down to, say, five main ones. I'll throw in my five, and see where this goes. These are not necessarily in any specific order.

• Longevity of service (min. five years?), as a player or part of the coaching team
• Quality of player on the pitch
• (Pretty much unanimous) popularity among the supporters
• Attitude to on- and off-field activities
• Approachable and attractive personality

That's five just for a start. What else would need to be considered?

Over to you...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Much like some of your points it's very subjective but I'd add :

> Contribution to the collective success of BHA

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"'Legend' is a word that far too often over-used..." is probably a phrase that far too often over-used.

Therefore can we define what makes a 'legend' - specifically in terms of the history and culture of Brighton & Hove Albion? The first part would need to ascertain what those criteria are; the second part being who fits those criteria.

Part 1. What are the criteria that make a 'legend'? And does this person need to fulful all of them to qualify? Let's narrow it down to, say, five main ones. I'll throw in my five, and see where this goes. These are not necessarily in any specific order.

• Longevity of service (min. five years?), as a player or part of the coaching team
• Quality of player on the pitch
• (Pretty much unanimous) popularity among the supporters
• Attitude to on- and off-field activities
• Approachable and attractive personality

That's five just for a start. What else would need to be considered?

Over to you...

I don't think longevity is necessary criteria. I know many West Ham fans who will always regard Tevez as a club legend and he only made 26 appearances!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't think longevity is necessary criteria. I know many West Ham fans who will always regard Tevez as a club legend and he only made 26 appearances!

I was going to say that too. Zamora was with us for just over three years, but I don't think it's important... He's one of very few who must be considered a legend (in relatively recent times).

I think they over use of the word probably come from the media, who always must say "Brighton ace, Brighton legend, Brighton stalwart, or Brighton star" whoever is mentioned. See the article below for proof!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...on-midfielder-ryan-harley-until-end-of-season

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
It all comes down to the contribution (on/off the pitch) that they make to the club. This could be the amount of service they have given the club, one thing that they have done which has had a big signifigance to the club or just being a fans favourite.

If the club was (god forbid) in serious financial trouble and about to go out of business, someone coming along and saving the club and walking away the next day would obviously be a legend. Even if they were only here for a week!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It all comes down to the contribution (on/off the pitch) that they make to the club. This could be the amount of service they have given the club, one thing that they have done which has had a big signifigance to the club or just being a fans favourite.

If the club was (god forbid) in serious financial trouble and about to go out of business, someone coming along and saving the club and walking away the next day would obviously be a legend. Even if they were only here for a week!

Mark Beeney saved the club from a winding up order by agreeing to a move, that was not of his preference, as I understand.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
How much clapping they do before leaving the pitch after a match
Their ratio of NSC Threads : Minutes on Pitch. The greater the number the bigger the legend.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Someone who may have played for the club historically, but those facts have been wildly exaggerated now and mixed with elements to enhance the story of their time. Or I may have taken your use of legend incorrectly.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It is very subjective.
Kit Napier for me was a true legend but most on here never saw him to know why, and whilst I genuinely don't consider many of our players or back room staff over the last twenty years to merit legend status (Bobby Zamora, Dick Knight and Tony Bloom aside) I would suggest that Inigo Calderon meets the criteria in most respects.
Sometimes it's about contribution on the pitch; sometimes off; and sometimes it is about the person.
We will all have different views.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Personality goes a long, long way, usurping on-field ability (or lack thereof) in most cases.

Calderon, Inigo.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Frankie Howard...... Should be a Club Legend ( he probably is for most us old boys). Unfortunately he doesn't even exist on the clubs Wiki past players page. Probably another Bellotti victim.
There are not to many pictures of him about, although he does have a Bus. Maybe The Goldstone Wrap or Hiney have a picture. I have two in my head......... thundering down the wing past us small boys and later on wandering round forking his Goldstone Turf.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
But Leon Knight fulfills none of TLO's criteria and he's on the Legends Wall!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Likewise with Vicente for us?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
But Leon Knight fulfills none of TLO's criteria and he's on the Legends Wall!

Quality On the pitch? Leagues top scorer? Scores in the play off final? Reckon that fulfills one of them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here