Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Civil War Brewing in the Ukraine?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I know that it is not as important as whether or not there should be one or two strikers up front or who is the World's Hardest Creature, but people are being shot dead by their own Government in Kiev so perhaps there should a thread about this?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Very difficult to get a clear picture of what is actually happening in the Ukraine at the moment. Does anyone really know who the opposition are and how much support there is for them throughout the country?

The current government was the beneficiary of one revolution, and it looks like there maybe another abut to happen and who is to say that that would turn out any better.

From my own admittedly relatively uninformed perspective it does appear that power tends to corrupt who ever gets in charge in the former Soviet Union.

The violence is very frightening but the protestors also seemed to be armed as the have been on the attack this morning reclaiming parts of the square from the police.

Sadly we only seem to be getting one viewpoint from the media with very little information about the complexities of the situation coming to light.

It would be interesting to hear NSC's take on this one.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Civil War Brewing in the Ukraine

Is that Brighton's latest hipster micro brewery?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Good to see Lviv declaring independence from Kiev yesterday and the army there surrendering and burning down it's own barracks.

10s of thousands trying to get into Kiev now but so far prevented by police.

Problem is Yanukovich knows he faces jail for corruption,or worse, if he gives in.

He can't win now, even the East of Ukraine has turned on him. He just needs the best exit strategy.

Depending on developments it's not impossible that Putin sends in the tanks once the Winter Olympics are over.

The nightmare for Putin is if this spreads to Belarus. Next stop Moscow itself.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If the country does split in two , will Western Ukraine gain EU membership before Scotland ?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
There are reports that (presumably police/government) snipers have been shooting at hotel windows to try and destroy journalists' cameras

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Tottenham are meant to be playing in Dnipropetrovsk tonight. Hope their traveling fans stay safe.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So sad, such a great friendly country, and Kiev is a cool city.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
FIFA football world cup country of the future? Just imagine all those back handers! (load's a money)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Tottenham are meant to be playing in Dnipropetrovsk tonight. Hope their traveling fans stay safe.

No chance of UEFA calling off of course, their competition far more important that safety of players and fans.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No chance of UEFA calling off of course, their competition far more important that safety of players and fans.

Has there been any trouble in Dnipro? I know the Dynamo Kiev game was moved to Cyprus, which makes me think you are wrong here...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here