Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

19 BILLION Dollars

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
In cash and shares - that's what Facebook has paid to buy the WhatsApp messenger service!

$4 billion in cash and $15.4 billion in shares, of which $3 billion will go to the app's founders and employees after 4 years, with all of the employees keeping their existing jobs as part of the takeover.

Not a bad day's work for Jan Koum, the college dropout who co-created WhatsApp and will get a seat on Facebook's Board of Directors as part of all this!

http://news.sky.com/story/1214399/facebook-agrees-to-buy-whatsapp-for-19bn

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I thought this was going to be a Zaha thread.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Incidentally my Whatsapp has been much slower this morning. I blame Zuckerberg. I suspect he's sorting out some 'suggested' messages for me.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I bet the guy who made snapchat is regretting not selling. The popularity of snapchat must be decreasing rapidly now, everyone I know has stopped using it. I can't believe anyone would turn down $3 billion for an app.

Dec 29, 2011
O alright then, I will let them off. Just Twitter then that will never make money. And Amazon...

I imagine Twitter is going through the same phase that Facebook had to go through. Living off investments to keep afloat with the knowledge the potential for huge returns is there, I'd imagine they'll start turning profit very soon.

I read Amazon doesn't make profit because the CEO wants to re-invest every possibly cent in R&D and make sure Amazon can't 'fade away' like we've seen with countless tech firms over the last decade. The potential for huge profits is there should they want it

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Why on Earth is it worth that much? How does it even make money?

I think each user has to pay about $1 a year to use WhatsApp, but even with the hundreds of millions of users that's going to take a long time to make $19bn

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I got what's app years ago when you had to pay for it (£0.69 or something) and I've not paid a penny since unless they are conning me and I haven't noticed, which is unlikely as I look at my balances daily.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here