Are we a big club or not?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Interesting site.

http://www.bigclubornot.co.uk/brighton&hovealbion.html

BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION - 56TH BIGGEST CLUB
Brighton & Hove Albion were established in 1901 and have 85 eligible seasons to their name, with more than half spent in the bottom two divisions. With no honours to their name the club's most successful period was the 1980s when they were ranked as the 26th biggest club, compared to their overall ranking of 56th. Brighton & Hove Albion's fiercest rivals are Crystal Palace despite the relative distance between clubs, and lesser rivalries also exist with Portsmouth and other southern clubs because of their proximity.

CRYSTAL PALACE - 46TH BIGGEST CLUB
South London club Crystal Palace were established in 1905 and have 85 eligible seasons and one honour to their name - the Full-Members Cup in 1991. Winning this cup also coincides with Crystal Palace's most successful period in the 1990s when their big club ranking was 17th, compared to their overall ranking of 46th. Crystal Palace's biggest rivalry is with Brighton & Hove Albion and which has developed since the 1970s. Other notable rivalries include local neighbours Millwall and Charlton Athletic, as well as with other London clubs.

CHARLTON ATHLETIC - 34TH BIGGEST CLUB
Charlton Athletic were formed in 1905 and have 84 eligible seasons to their name, winning one honour - the FA Cup in 1947 - and leading to their best period in the 1940s/50s when their big club ranking was 14th. The club has spent almost half of its time in the second tier of the league, and for financial and safety reasons did not play on their home ground, The Valley, between 1985 and 1992. However, the club has now firmly re-established itself back at its original ground. Charlton Athletic's biggest rivalries are with local sides Millwall and Crystal Palace, as well as with the many other London clubs in the league.

CRAWLEY TOWN - 139TH BIGGEST CLUB
Crawley Town were established in 1896, and currently have one eligible seasons to their name, having joined the league for the 2011/12 season after winning promotion from the non-league. As such the club's big club ranking currently sees them lying as the 139th biggest club. In terms of rivalries, Crawley Town's biggest rivals are local neighbours Brighton & Hove Albion, but rivalries also exist with AFC Wimbledon and Aldershot Town, as well as to a lesser extent other Southern clubs.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
wouldn't argue with that,but it ranks Bury at 33rd

I know they have won the FA Cup twice,but over a 100 years ago and we are bigger than Bury now

not sure where we would figure by some sort of updated reasoning,not in the top 40,I wouldn't of thought

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No Honours to our name.....really?

Did we not spank the mighty Aston Villa a whopping 1-0 in 1910.

We are a cracking club with aspirations to becoming biggish and play along with the big guns. No club will unfortunately ever be as big as the mighty mighty Leeds(the worlds greatest club.....EVER)

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The title is misleading.

We all love lists and it's just a list of historical success.

The much loved 'big club' refers to more than just winning trophies and league positions, which is what this points system is based on. I think it needs to factor in cup runs, glorious defeats, fan numbers, catchment areas, players that have gone on to bigger things or played for England, historical moments etc etc. all pretty unquantifiable.

In this list Bradford Park Avenue are a bigger club than Peterborough United.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Far too much emphasis on ancient history which is great for the record books but doesn't reflect on how times change.

Perhaps something which focuses on the present would be better ???

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I am lead to believe from NSC we are number 1 in the biggest crap parking league(having recently overtaken Reading) and no 2 in the "making stupid banners" race....running a close second behind Ipswich.

Every little counts as they say.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We are probably about 40 ish but as mentioned the qualifying fir that list whilst very important does lack a bit

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Wanderers, Royal Engineers, Old Etonians and Old Carthusians are MASSIVE.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Brighton & Hove Albion's fiercest rivals are Crystal Palace despite the relative distance between clubs

The distance between Cardiff and Swansea is greater, yet nobody ever questions that rivalry.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
It should be done on current attendances!

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
All older rivalries though I would have thought? I think why yours and Palace's rivalry is questioned is that it seems a bit more manufactured than a lot of others.

At least you have one - we (AFCB) don't. Trying to generate one with Yeovil is like trying to wake the dead :smile:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There is an inherit confusion between 'are we a big club' and 'were we a big club'.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The criteria should be average home attendances over the past three years, plus wins in the Charity Shield throughout history, as well as final appearances in the FA Cup when it was still a major competition i.e. 1989 and before.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Far too much emphasis on ancient history which is great for the record books but doesn't reflect on how times change.

Perhaps something which focuses on the present would be better ???

THIS.Palace's record since say 1960/1 (the Tottenham double-season which I always reckon started big-mone football) is far above Charlton's. IMHO.

How many season have Palace finished above Charlton since then?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I am lead to believe from NSC we are number 1 in the biggest crap parking league(having recently overtaken Reading) and no 2 in the "making stupid banners" race....running a close second behind Ipswich.

Every little counts as they say.

Yes, parking crap in the changing-rooms is not exactly par for the coarse..

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Crawley Town's biggest rivals are local neighbours Brighton and Hove Albion! You'd think one of them might have done the decent thing and let us know about it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here