Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best cheap mobile phone?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
This thread may die a quick death.... but.... i've loved my blackberry 8520 because when in an otterbox case it has been indestructable, it's been easy to type on the physical keyboard and i can quickly check emails with just an odd bit of web browsing.....but i've had months of problems with virgin with failed sms/texts (even when changed number/sim). Bit locked in with them due to home phone contract also.

Also, I really don't want to spend a lot on a phone I may leave somewhere accidentally (and don't want to pay for extra insurance).

Any recommendations for a decent but cheap mobile (not an iphone for a start)? Must be durable. I don't care about apps/games/music - mostly use it for texting then calls then emails.

cheers

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This thread may die a quick death.... but.... i've loved my blackberry 8520 because when in an otterbox case it has been indestructable, it's been easy to type on the physical keyboard and i can quickly check emails with just an odd bit of web browsing.....but i've had months of problems with virgin with failed sms/texts (even when changed number/sim). Bit locked in with them due to home phone contract also.

Also, I really don't want to spend a lot on a phone I may leave somewhere accidentally (and don't want to pay for extra insurance).

Any recommendations for a decent but cheap mobile (not an iphone for a start)? Must be durable. I don't care about apps/games/music - mostly use it for texting then calls then emails.

cheers

Virgin still have several Blackberries on their monthly tariffs. Otherwise I would suggest you take a look at the Nokia Windows phones. Feedback I have had from people using them, is very positive. The one big turn off, is the limited choice of apps, which doesn't sound like it will be an issue for you. I have four phones with Virgin ranging from £5 a month sim only through to just over a tenner a month with a handset. I am gradually changing over to SIM only deals, as I reckon they are better value for money, but you do get insurance with Virgin, go haggle.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
i do love a bit of nsc advice - both of your posts have been really helpful. i have been on sim only for a couple of months after my virgin contract ended (when the bb seemed like it would last forever, so i thought i didn't need a new phone) so i'm wanting to avoid another long contract again and stick on sim only. reviews of nokia and the moto g seem really good so i think it'll be one of them. many thanks again

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
i do love a bit of nsc advice - both of your posts have been really helpful. i have been on sim only for a couple of months after my virgin contract ended (when the bb seemed like it would last forever, so i thought i didn't need a new phone) so i'm wanting to avoid another long contract again and stick on sim only. reviews of nokia and the moto g seem really good so i think it'll be one of them. many thanks again

You can get the Moto G from Tesco's for £110. Then a couple of quid to get a unlock code off Ebay

What are people's views on Blackberry - they seem very cheap at the moment and for someone who isn't going to be using the internet capabilities much are they worth getting - or does the Motorola G still get the vote?

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
i loved my bb 8520 before the "network out of order" issue (see google). i dont want a high value phone that i'll leave on the train. but i'm very tempted by the motorola moto g tbh!

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Virgin still have several Blackberries on their monthly tariffs. Otherwise I would suggest you take a look at the Nokia Windows phones. Feedback I have had from people using them, is very positive. The one big turn off, is the limited choice of apps, which doesn't sound like it will be an issue for you. I have four phones with Virgin ranging from £5 a month sim only through to just over a tenner a month with a handset. I am gradually changing over to SIM only deals, as I reckon they are better value for money, but you do get insurance with Virgin, go haggle.

Never trust someone with more than one phone!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
This is the best phone I ever had evar.

Brugt-Nokia-3510I-Blaa--Orange.jpg

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I have got the nokia lumia 520 (windows phone).
I love it and its a real bargain at around12pound a month on contract or a one of cost of 80pound for the sim free version

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
What are people's views on Blackberry - they seem very cheap at the moment and for someone who isn't going to be using the internet capabilities much are they worth getting - or does the Motorola G still get the vote?

Think there is a worry about how long they will remain in business.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Always has been cr*p. Have one from work and have had various models over the years and hated each and every one. Every company who still hands them out should have their IT departments executed in the street (including my employers!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here