Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting a dog - advice please.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
(NB I'm aware there are probably several threads on this topic in Bozza's Bowels but I'd prefer to interact with some people ITK...)

Mrs G. is very keen on getting a dog. I quite like the idea but am not really that fussed.

Her pooch of preference is a Golden Labrador Retriever and she is talking about a puppy.

Our domestic set-up is favourable - decent sized house and garden (in Eastbourne) + 1 x Moshe Jnr (aged 6). Less favourable is that we both work - but are local, and flexibility for "nipping back home" as required is quite good in addition to morning/evening duties...

Has anyone done this recently or can advise (ideally from the perspective of a middle-aged bloke...)?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Unless your all 100% committed to looking after the dog and it's needs then don't get one, Too many people get dogs and then after a while can't be bothered with all the work that goes with them.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Unless your all 100% committed to looking after the dog and it's needs then don't get one, Too many people get dogs and then after a while can't be bothered with all the work that goes with them.

This

We got our puppy 6 days ago and it's a lot of work. If you're both working, forget the idea of getting a puppy, they need a lot of attention. Our dog is 5 months old so is a bit more self-sufficient but still needs plenty of attention.
If you're working full time, you'd be better off getting a mature dog but even they can't be left for 8 or 9 hours a day.

I'd also get a mutt rather than a pedigree dog: they tend to be healthier and less temperamental. Ours is a rescue dog - there are plenty of healthy dogs who need a loving home

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Oh Dear. Can't you run away and hope to get new owners?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If you're both working, forget the idea of getting a puppy, they need a lot of attention.
This sounds like fundamental advice.

Everyone else agree? Or has anyone done it successfully with a couple of trips home during the day?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Everyone else agree? Or has anyone done it successfully with a couple of trips home during the day?

Without knowing you or your life, I would think having to do that will get old very quickly, then you have to cater for times you can't get home for whatever reason. I would love a dog but for similar reasons I won't have one, so I have 2 cats which are much more independent.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If you have a kid I'd suggest be safe and get a cat

The percentage of dogs that attack children is about the same as the percentage of parents that attack children. On this basis, there might be a case for sending all children to care homes.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I should have said a young puppy - under 6 months. But even over 6 months, I'd be a bit wary. Mrs Gwylan and I have sorted out our work patterns so our dog is only going to be left on her own for a couple of hours, one day a week. Puppies are miniature search-and-destroy machines (as Mrs G found out when her expensive pair of glasses were left too near the tabletop edge)

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
My sister in law got a GR bitch when her children were young and she has been everything you would want in a family pet.From my experience they can be left(I used to walk a friends GR)and after exercise they settle down and sleep, quite relaxed dogs.Put the effort into training and you should have no problems although you may consider a cage in the early days to prevent it destroying things.From my experience of dogs great times ahead and lovely memories for your son.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

A problem with leaving a puppy on it's own at home is it's likely to start chewing furniture and causing other damage which will then lead you to telling it off and in turn will lead to an unhappy dog that doesn't look forward to you coming home, The only other option is to cage it while your out.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
We do a bit of a dog share with my parents which means they generally have the dog during the day if we are at work. Good for them as they get out of the house walking her, and good for the dog. When she was a puppy we did leave her a bit and she was generally okay.

Word of warning on puppy labradors though, they love to chew. Mine chewed through a wall, and had a good go on some booksheleves. Putting mustard on them stopped the chewing but stained the wood!!

But they are very lovely dogs and once trained fully they are just the best. But agree with most on here you need quite a bit of time in the early days to get them there. If you can get some help whilst you're at work that would definitely be better.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
We are getting one in the near future but we waited until Mrs Jakarta retired for all the reasons already given. I have no doubt I will be getting roped into walks on Sullington Warren etc.. I have already suffered a significant defeat as I wanted an Airedale but have been told we are getting a Labradoodle.....

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Go to somewhere like Raystede and talk to them. Explain your situation. A lot of rescue centres have dogs which will suit various different household set ups.

They might, for example, have an older dog who is used to not having someone on hand all day every day.

theboybilly

I'd say you've got a very good home set-up for taking in a dog. I've just got two 20-week old Staffie pups from my local Dogs Trust and, from having 2 before (seeing both through to ages 15 and 16) I can recommend the breed. I would suggest popping along to Dogs Trust and having a look, not just once but a few times before making your mind up. Dogs can be a tie though so you need to really think about holidays etc. I have found a very good kennels (Clayton Cat & Dog kennels in Storrington) that look after my pets.
There is bound to be some loving dog that will catch your heart. I don't think you'll regret taking a rescue dog on as they give so much back. But they can be hard work, please remember that.
For your information my pups cost me £80 each. For that I got a months insurance, the cost of spaying and micro-chipping covered and could have had collars and leads (an option I didn't take up. The last time I had a dog spayed it cost me £105 so in reality you are getting a Dog Trust dog for not very much cost. Good luck.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here