Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Legend that is and always will be, CHARLIE OATWAY.

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Portslade, The Blue Anchor
Charlie is in my eyes an Albion Legend, and always will be, so can someone please explain why his banner has been removed from outside the West Stand? Charlie was never sacked, has never spoken about what happened, never bad mouthed the club and in his time at the club was a loyal servant, not only as a player but also as a coach and advocate for AITC.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
mr-hankey-mrhankey-10743602-1379-2100.jpg

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
HAs it been removed ? I noticed a few were out Saturday and put it down to wind damage...

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Several of the banners have been in a bit of a sorry state for a while now due to the winds, I'd imagine it's just for repairs.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ask the Club? :shrug:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Oatway has a good back story and has done well with what seems limited ability.

Up there as characters for us but not a legend.

No idea why removed

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Agree with [MENTION=365]Napper[/MENTION]

He was outstanding in the season we were promoted from League 2. However, he often looked quite out of his depth in the folllowing seasons in League 1 and the Championship.

You cannot fault his spirit though and sometimes, that pulls you through as we saw with Gary Hart and latterly Ashley Barnes and he was instrumental in the success of the club over the last few years in the backroom. But a legend? no I don't think so.

That would put him in the same mould as Case, Foster, Zamora, Horton, Ward, et all. In fact the only player who is currently anything to do with the Albion playing side of things who should be on the wall is Calde.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Legend for me, as he was the embodiment of the first Adams-era which changed the direction of this club massively. Although we baulk at criticising Bloom for obvious reasons, I really didn't think Oatway deserved the treatment he got last summer.

Gus has shown him far more loyalty than we have, in taking him with him to Sunderland, when let's face it, his value to Gus was about his connection to Brighton. Taking him to Sunderland was a very decent gesture, and showed class towards him that the club didn't.

I will now prepare for the inevitable pelters.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Legend for me, as he was the embodiment of the first Adams-era which changed the direction of this club massively. Although we baulk at criticising Bloom for obvious reasons, I really didn't think Oatway deserved the treatment he got last summer.

Gus has shown him far more loyalty than we have, in taking him with him to Sunderland, when let's face it, his value to Gus was about his connection to Brighton. Taking him to Sunderland was a very decent gesture, and showed class towards him that the club didn't.

Whilst Poyet was with us but on the hunt for any job going, he did say he'd take Charlie anywhere he went - so think it's more down to how much he rates him than any loyalty - although Poyet and loyalty do clearly go hand in hand.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Here we go then!

Unless you know all the circumstances (and how could you?) then how can you sit in judgement on the actions of the club?

In such a position of ignorance, you could equally argue that the loyalty that Gus showed was an allegiance of accomplices in an underhand act.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He may well have been a legend but surely anyone can see that the events of last summer affected his relationship with the club and lets remember he was not absolved of any wrongdoing, merely an agreement reached.

Or maybe the OP is just mischief making with this thread!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Here we go then!

Unless you know all the circumstances (and how could you?) then how can you sit in judgement on the actions of the club?

In such a position of ignorance, you could equally argue that the loyalty that Gus showed was an allegiance of accomplices in an underhand act.

Called an opinion, we're all entitled to one, and without it this place doesn't exist as we NEVER know the full facts.

People have an opinion on players performances, without knowing all the facts behind injuries they may be carrying, or the role they were asked to play etc. We never know the full facts, but we have our own opinion based on what we think.

My opinion is that Oatway was a loyal servant for many many years, and was deserving of a Testimonial. Then got caught in the crossfire between Gus and Tony. If Gus had always said that he'd take Charlie with him, then that was honoured. We said he'd get a testimonial, and that wasn't.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
He may well have been a legend but surely anyone can see that the events of last summer affected his relationship with the club and lets remember he was not absolved of any wrongdoing, merely an agreement reached.

Or maybe the OP is just mischief making with this thread!

And with that his image is forever sullied is it? No knowledge of what he was even accused of, not absolved, but not found "guilty" of anything either.

I know of NOTHING Charlie has done wrong, so my opinion of him hasn't changed. The club don't come out of it well, and I know of no reason to treat a long-term servant of the club in this way.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agree with [MENTION=365]Napper[/MENTION]

He was outstanding in the season we were promoted from League 2. However, he often looked quite out of his depth in the folllowing seasons in League 1 and the Championship.

You cannot fault his spirit though and sometimes, that pulls you through as we saw with Gary Hart and latterly Ashley Barnes and he was instrumental in the success of the club over the last few years in the backroom. But a legend? no I don't think so.

That would put him in the same mould as Case, Foster, Zamora, Horton, Ward, et all. In fact the only player who is currently anything to do with the Albion playing side of things who should be on the wall is Calde.

I agree ... and l disagree. I think the term 'legend', is applied far too easily. The only true Albion legends l could count on the fingers of one hand.

Yes Charlie was great servant to the club over many years, seems like l nice guy, no doubt was a useful link between the management and the dressing room in the latter years, but was, in my opinion at least no more than average in his playing days. As much as l like him. I would paint Calde pretty much with the same brush, great club servant, popular with players and fans alike, a great trier on the football pitch, but only just above average in terms of ability. Again, certainly not a legend.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Called an opinion, we're all entitled to one, and without it this place doesn't exist as we NEVER know the full facts.

People have an opinion on players performances, without knowing all the facts behind injuries they may be carrying, or the role they were asked to play etc. We never know the full facts, but we have our own opinion based on what we think.

My opinion is that Oatway was a loyal servant for many many years, and was deserving of a Testimonial. Then got caught in the crossfire between Gus and Tony. If Gus had always said that he'd take Charlie with him, then that was honoured. We said he'd get a testimonial, and that wasn't.

Of course it's merely an opinion.

Opinions based on known facts have a particular credibility and value; those based on complete speculation have another.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
From where I'm sitting, he was a fairly average but very hard working player, whose status within the club is elevated by having been part of the first successful side we'd had after many years of being in the doldrums. His role in that side was no more or less important than guys like Richard Carpenter or Paul Watson. I suspect the perception of him amongst some is more down to his personality/charisma, which, I guess if you're the sort who regards the term "banter" as an unquestionably good thing, has carved him a reputation as one of Football's Funniest Men. Each to their own I suppose.

Given that the circumstances of his leaving the Albion have never been publicised, I'd say none of us are in a position to judge as to whether he warranted a testimonial or not, or whether he was hard done by. But if he has been taken off that wall, so be it. It won't particularly bother me, (frankly, I think they should probably take Paul Rogers off it too as he's even less of a candidate).

I'm sure Oatway is probably a good guy, utterly hysterical if you like his sort of humour, and an honest sort. But legend? No. Not for my money. You don't get to be a legend simply by doing a few hilarious impressions on end of season DVDs. Reasonable player. Funny guy (so we're told). Cult hero? That's probably more like it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here