Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fixture pile up, Lower leagues...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I have just been looking at the DS opponants tonights fixture list and Bognor have two games a week from now until the rest of the season!!! :mad:

That is also without anymore games postponed and them progressing further in any competitions, I assume all lower leagues will be in the same situation, can the season be extended or will it be common for them to be playing 3 games a week? :eek:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Crawley have 7 games a week until the end of the season, or something like that.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
It does happen fairly often. It only takes a good run in the FA Vase and a few other cups combined with bad weather to create a back log.
In the County League some teams will be playing Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday on a number of occasions.
I think Guernsey last season had four games in four days over the Easter weekend!

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Saw on twitter quite a few have 22 games in ten weeks. I know Poole Town have, and a couple in the ryman league too. Depends on how shite your home pitch is I suppose.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
couple of county under 18 teams have played just 8 games ALL season

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I find it crazy that the FA do not allow teams with 3G pitches to play any higher than conf south/north! even though Uefa and Fifa allow them in the Champions league and other high profile tournements. Just shows that the FA really are out of touch with grass routes football, imagine the Income 3G pitches can generate for these clubs all year round as well, plus very rare that games would be called off due to heavy rain/frozen pitches etc.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
maidstone cant go up this year because of the 4 g pitch,crazy

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
I find it crazy that the FA do not allow teams with 3G pitches to play any higher than conf south/north! even though Uefa and Fifa allow them in the Champions league and other high profile tournements. Just shows that the FA really are out of touch with grass routes football, imagine the Income 3G pitches can generate for these clubs all year round as well, plus very rare that games would be called off due to heavy rain/frozen pitches etc.

Allowing it would promote such a better brand of football too.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
maidstone cant go up this year because of the 4 g pitch,crazy

Just been reading this, If Maidstone finish top, they can then apply to the conference south to play in the league with a 4G pitch, however you cannot apply to the league until you are promoted! So I guess they would need to vote at the end of the season. Hopefully sense will previal, how can teams in the champions league be playing on these pitches, but it deemed not good enough for the 6th tier of English football?

Dont get me wrong, where possible games should be played on grass, but with the weather in this country it would surely benefit most teams in league 2 and some in league 1 to install these pitches, the FA are dinosaurs and really need to look at the technology in these pitches and how they will only continue to improve in years to come.

It looks as if Lewes are also considering the option of an 4G pitch.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick

Surely its the grass roots they want to stay in touch with? :jester:

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Crawley seem to be partly the architects of their own downfall. Clearly there is a drainage issue with the pitch yet they have done nothing with it for years.

I have even heard Crawley fans saying that they would not blame the FA for taking action against them.

They now need to play two games every week between now and the end of the season to fit all of their games in, and that's without any future postponements

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Brain tree town is another example. Only played 25 matches and not played since January 10th or something...... Now its 28 matches in 47 days or something mental

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Article on the BBC website said that the Ryman leagues have had over 500 games this season called off due to the weather, that was also before last weekend so it has probably gone up another 20 or so now.

Sussex County Leagues are having issues too, talk of having to scrap pre-season too. Issues also from County League 2 and below also include that some clubs play at grounds with no floodlights, limiting them to weekend only games. Other county clubs have had significant storm damage too. Arundel's ground is currently flooded and 1 side of AFC Uckfield's ground collapsed, though it has now been rebuilt, the pitch is unsuitable for games - they havent played a home game for over 2 months !! Talk of Uckfield converting to 4G too, then letting other County clubs use it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My local club, Bewdley, had 13 games in 20 days towards the end of last season. Pitch is next to the river and not infrequently in or under the river :lolol:

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
Crawley seem to be partly the architects of their own downfall. Clearly there is a drainage issue with the pitch yet they have done nothing with it for years.

I have even heard Crawley fans saying that they would not blame the FA for taking action against them.

They now need to play two games every week between now and the end of the season to fit all of their games in, and that's without any future postponements

And with little thought for the travelling away support .... Carlisle and Tranmere being the last two sets of fans to travel down for a non event -

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

Do you mean non grass routes !

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Brain tree town is another example. Only played 25 matches and not played since January 10th or something...... Now its 28 matches in 47 days or something mental

21 in 66 dys for Braintree ,Gosport in Conf South only played 21 games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here