Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Florida advice please

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
Mrs Snowy has a big birthday coming up and we thought about doing a Fly Drive in southern Florida in June to celebrate. We've been considering flying to Miami, then splitting it up into easy bite size journeys by going down to Key West, back to Key Largo, across to Naples and have the last night in Fort Lauderdale. Has anyone got any experience of doing a similar trip and got good recommendations of places to stay (or avoid) and things not to miss? All advice gratefully accepted!

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
We have done a Florida Road trip. If you are staying at Key Largo, the place itself isnt too great, but its an excellent stop point for the John Pennekamp state park. Its a bit different in that its all or mostly water. It shows the only remaining coral reef in USA. I went on a snorkeling trip where you can swim and have a look at the reef at close hand. Excellent although a bit unerving to come face toface with a Barracuda. Alternatively take a glass bottom boat. Key West is a must. Lots and lots of bars, plus its so laid back. Whilst there, you must take a sea plane to Tortugas island, something that people generally miss out for some reason. Its an old US fort in the middle of nowhere. Really good to explore, plus a swim in the lovely warm sea.

Miami beach is terrific too, to see art deco buildings etc. In land go to the Everglades and take an air boat. You can stay in the Everglades itself near Shark Valley information centre. There is a road travelling south to the Everglades observation centre. Thea ccomodation is built next to the rivers and is built on stilts (to avoid the Aligators). Not sure how far north you are travelling but there is also the Mayak state park near Fort Myers, where you can take a Kayak out into the Evergldaes itself. Full of Alligators, so a bit unerving. Alternatively you can hire a bike to cycle around the park or there are motorised trips. Naples is a lovely place to stay too, as well as Fort Myers. Fort Lauderdale is a nice city. There is a boat ride into the water ways and looking at the expensive stars houses, plus meal.

I have lots of information at home, plus websites, so if you give me a day or two I will dig them out and PM you.

Btw, we are going to Florida as well, but as we have a little one its more Disney and Beaches this time.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
For a truly extraordinary anthropological experience you should try and visit one of the theme parks in Orlando if you can fit it in. Magic Kingdom is my favorite.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
As well as Naples, while you're on the west coast go to Sanibel Island and stay there a couple of nights. My favourite place in Florida bar none.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Bit further up the coast but a day at Cape Kennedy is brilliant even if space and science is not your thing still plenty to see and do. Also in that vicinity is Daytona, if you can align to a race day that is a great day out. Driving on the beach [sand] and parking up for a seaside picnic is also a bit novel.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We have done a Florida Road trip. If you are staying at Key Largo, the place itself isnt too great, but its an excellent stop point for the John Pennekamp state park. Its a bit different in that its all or mostly water. It shows the only remaining coral reef in USA. I went on a snorkeling trip where you can swim and have a look at the reef at close hand. Excellent although a bit unerving to come face toface with a Barracuda. Alternatively take a glass bottom boat. Key West is a must. Lots and lots of bars, plus its so laid back. Whilst there, you must take a sea plane to Tortugas island, something that people generally miss out for some reason. Its an old US fort in the middle of nowhere. Really good to explore, plus a swim in the lovely warm sea.

Miami beach is terrific too, to see art deco buildings etc. In land go to the Everglades and take an air boat. You can stay in the Everglades itself near Shark Valley information centre. There is a road travelling south to the Everglades observation centre. Thea ccomodation is built next to the rivers and is built on stilts (to avoid the Aligators). Not sure how far north you are travelling but there is also the Mayak state park near Fort Myers, where you can take a Kayak out into the Evergldaes itself. Full of Alligators, so a bit unerving. Alternatively you can hire a bike to cycle around the park or there are motorised trips. Naples is a lovely place to stay too, as well as Fort Myers. Fort Lauderdale is a nice city. There is a boat ride into the water ways and looking at the expensive stars houses, plus meal.

I have lots of information at home, plus websites, so if you give me a day or two I will dig them out and PM you.

Btw, we are going to Florida as well, but as we have a little one its more Disney and Beaches this time.

This pretty much covers what I would have said after several trips to Florida, both North and South. Personally, and particularly if you're flying through there, I'd definitely spend a couple of nights in Miami itself. Fabulous city, lots to see and do and a great Latin American vibe. Not a lot between Key Largo and Key West (unless you're into fishing). There is a 'swim with dolphins' place 'Dolphins Plus' in Key Largo if you like that kind of thing that is brilliant - way better than the Disney version in Orlando. Naples is really nice (around 3hrs drive from Miami with nothing to see in between the two) and there are some great low-key beaches up the coast from Naples if you want peace and quiet for a while.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Never heard of this place, why is it so good?

If you want peace & quiet, southern charm, beautiful beaches, no traffic, laid back relaxation, great food. Sanibel Island.

My boss lives in Miami & goes to Sanibel once a year for a week religiously to unwind & get away from it all. Famous for the sea shells apparrently.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Cape Kennedy really is worth a visit as is Daytona Beach which was truly awesome and the best beach I have ever been on.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
went a few years ago with the gf - had an amazing time.

based in Sarasota which is West Coast around 45 minutes from Tampa and drove down to Miami via Naples for 2 days, went to Tampa twice and drove up to Orlando and did the Parks for 2 days.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Miami rocks. Seriously. Go on one of the big boat trips out followed by drinks and giggles on the beach. I got totally mullered.

woody12a

Nov 9, 2006
As well as Naples, while you're on the west coast go to Sanibel Island and stay there a couple of nights. My favourite place in Florida bar none.

Sanibel Island is like paradise !! ...... Mitchells Sandcastles is excellent accommodation, little bungalows right on the beach. There's nothing like waking up in the morning, opening the patio doors and seeing Dolphins swimming just yards away !. The shells are something else !!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here