Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a car on eBay - advice needed quick

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Been using ebay for years , however, I'm after a particular car and having agreed a price, this is the email I've recieved , what's your thoughts as I've never heard this done by eBay before.

Good evening Stephen,
I agree £5000.
Normally I prefer cash sales too but because I'm in France the only option to close the deal is through eBay, is safer for everyone. You'll send the money to eBay and after they confirm me that they have your money in their account, I will purchase a next day plane ticket and you can come and pick up the car from me directly or i will deliver it personally to you. Everything is covered by eBay, they will keep your money secured during the inspection period. This purchase protection guarantees that the car is exactly as I described it, you'll have 5 days to inspect it and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded immediately. I will get paid only after you confirm that everything it's I described it.
In order to start the transaction please confirm your eBay user id, your full name and your full address so I can register the sale with eBay and proceed.

P.S. Please call me at 07917494567 only if agree my terms to close the deal through eBay, don't waste my time please (I will not answer at private number)

Thank you
Kathy

Kathryne Barrett

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Seems ok, check if EBay do hold your money for 5 days.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The process she is describing is known as "escrow". What she says is perfectly standard for an escrow process. BUT, I don't know whether eBay offer such a service. I'd suggest you go on eBay and check the terms of their escrow service, if indeed they offer one.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Scam

How much is the car really worth compared to your offer that was accepted?

I know a guy who paid £6K for a £23K car - only he didn't get the car but lost the money.

I have sold 2 cars on ebay and was paid cash both times - in reality ebay only brings a buyer and seller together.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Scam! Copy and paste a fair chunk of that text and right click, select "search google for" then check the results.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/90528-interesting-not-the-usual-scam/

WOW !

This is the original email

----------------------------

Hello Stephen and sorry for the late reply. Currently I am in Rennes, France with my husband for an urgent throat surgery and for safety I left it closed in my garage in York, YO24 1EL.
This is the main reason for selling the car, we might need the extra money for surgery and recovery.
I will let it go for £5200.
The car has 74800 miles, 3 owners.
There is no outstanding finance (HPI cleared) and it has not been involved in any accident.
Everything is in perfect working condition (engine, electrics, etc), all documents are in order, full service history, mot and tax until August 2014. I've attached some extra pictures. Email me back if you are still interested.
Thank you
Kathy

Kathryne Barrett

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bet you're glad you asked now Moggy!

Enjoy the phone call you are going to make to that scum. Play it right and you could get some personal details from them......I can feel a NSC Jamieing coming on!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I have only ever brought one car off ebay before and was delighted with it. I asked to view the car first while the auction was still live. Was happy with car and made an offer there and then. He closed the auction after agreeing a price.

Also it gave me a chance to see the owner and where he lived. It ticked all the boxes and the car has been very loyal to me.

Last edited:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Scam! Those details should never be asked, and all transactions should go through PayPal.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Thanks guys, brilliant as usual.
Alarms bells were ringing which is why I thought I check with the great people of NSC.

Hey Mac, Jamie II would be hilarious, only a mobile and email to go on though

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
eBay don't hold your money. This sounds like a con.

Edit. This IS a con. Never disclose your log in details to anyone !

Yes they do actually. It happened to me before but a long time ago. Maybe because i was a new account.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Thanks guys, brilliant as usual.
Alarms bells were ringing which is why I thought I check with the great people of NSC.

Hey Mac, Jamie II would be hilarious, only a mobile and email to go on though
You going to give Kathryne a ring?

:lolol:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
What can we find out about them from their emails and mobile number?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here