Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam Chicksen

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Would you be happy if we couldnt get Ward back next year (assuming championship) and Chicksen becomes first choice ?

I actually think he looks alright and has decent pace. Only young so don't see why he cant become serious contender for No1 spot

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
From what I remember from that Latvian(?) fella who played early season , Chicksen is much better

Leo's Goatee

Dec 30, 2013
Under Leo's mouth
VERY QUICK!, needs time to adapt. thought he did a good job against el Mohammedy considering how poor lualua was infront of him. needs more games under his belt, 3 games this season so its difficult to say, i would defo give him a go

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Let's not too much pressure on him. He's a young prospect, who still has plenty to learn.

At the moment he's only 22, and defenders generally peak older than that. I think Ward is much more capable at the moment, and I don't think Chicksen is there yet but let's see how he develops.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If it doesn't cost much, I'd like to get Ward in on a two year deal and phase Chicksen into the first team over the next couple of years

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
As others have said he may not be ready just yet to be first choice, but I like him, he has good pace and seems to work hard, looks promising.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Lets not forget, he has had a lot of League One experience, and although a step up, I think next season we will see him come into the team, else why did we buy him

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought he struggled, part of the problems with Lua Lua were his own positioning issues. As the full back he has to take control of the situation, not leave it to the winger. First half especially he gave them too much space out wide and was happy to let Lua Lua close down when it should have been himself.

Jury is out for me, but as others have said, he does show a lot of promise.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
From the 'fuming' thread.

I don't understand.

Chicksen has played in all FA cup matches, and has acquitted himself well.
He's a young man relearning his trade at a higher division, in a team with greater expectations.
He played well enough, all things considered, against a Premier League side, not 'sparing the horses'.
Left back is currently filled by a season long loan player.

Now for the bit I don't understand:-

Why isn't everybody pretty pleased that we have a young, English (if that's your thing), left back, still learning but nearly ready for the first team next season, already at the club and not commanding a massive FFP wage.

Isn't Chicksen a massive bonus for the Albion?

In reply to question marks about how he finished the game

Would that be the same 25 minutes KLL spent lying on the floor?
The same 25 minutes Hull ratcheted up the pressure across the pitch?
The same 25 minutes Boyd was making Calde's life a misery?
The same 25 minutes Chicksen learned valuable lessons about himself, and the training staff will learn about him?

He might be way behind what we need at the moment, although I don't agree or understand!!
But we don't need him at the moment, we need him to be potentially good enough in August, and that's not going to happen sat on the bench.

and why he was playing in such an important game, as opposed to any old league game

But when our play-off position is within touching distance, is?

Chicksen wasn't bought in to start the season.
Loanee Ward by age and experience is so good, he's made losing Bridge tolerable.
There is no room at the end of the league season to play Chicksen, because of our league position.

Next season what do you want Oscar to do:-

Play a startled rabbit with no first team experience?
or
Spend £500,000+ and/or £10k a week in loanee wages, while still not playing Chicksen?

Chicksen's has really grown on me with his performances through this cup run.
It would seem to be working out really well for him which is excellent news for the Albion.

Bearing in mind our development squad centre halfs also seem like excellent prospects, plus KLL's mini me, at what point do we reach:-

'You don't win nuffink with kids'

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I like him. Whilst he hasn't got the experience that Ward may have, i don't worry when i see his name on the teamsheet, as i did when seeing Painter's name appear during times that Bridge was out last season.

Give him the same level of development over the next 12 months and he'll be a very good player for us.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
He has done really well. Just feel he needs to get a bit stronger physically.

What is exciting is that we now have a variety of full bucks who each bring something different to the role.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Would you be happy if we couldnt get Ward back next year (assuming championship) and Chicksen becomes first choice ?

I actually think he looks alright and has decent pace. Only young so don't see why he cant become serious contender for No1 spot

do I detect a positive post regarding one our players??

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
I think Chicksen is showing a lot of potential. He did look a little out of his depth at times last night but, on balance, acquitted himself very well (you'd expect all but the more experienced & better championship players to look a little out of their depth against premier league opposition at least occasionally, no?).

He has the physical attributes to be a decent fullback and his technique seems sounds - a bit more experience under his belt will make him a lot more calm & assured. A good run in the side would help him 'click' with the rest of the team (I'm not saying this was a particular issue last night, but clearly all players benefit from time to gel with the rest of the side).

So would I be 'happy' if he was 1st choice for another season in the Championship...? Yes, I do believe I would - particularly if he gets more game time between now & then...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The FA Cup has been very useful in helping us blood a player such as Chicksen...I'm still hoping we will keep Ward.....and as another poster has said why buy him if you aren't going to play him..if in the Championship...yes

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I like Ward, but I'd be happy with Chicken as our first choice LB next year. I think another year as Ward's understudy could get frustrating for a 23 year old who has more than held his own in any first team appearances this year.

I'd imagine Ward's wages are high as well.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patreon
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I thought he was very good against Reading (only game I've managed to get to this season) and from the games I've been able to stream that he plays in he's looked decent considering his age and experience in our team.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
he is coming along nicely

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here