Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kids playing rough sports, Rugby etc...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Busy body on the wireless complaining that Rugby is too dangerous for kids to play and that the worst thing is in a lot of schools that play it, it's compulsory. She tried to convince the listener that there are many categories of sport, Non-contact, contact, collision and combat. Right. Personally I think kids get way too many choices these days with some good, some bad outcomes but should they be banned from Rugby? They start knifing one another at aged 11 anyway.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Busy body on the wireless complaining that Rugby is too dangerous for kids to play and that the worst thing is in a lot of schools that play it, it's compulsory. She tried to convince the listener that there are many categories of sport, Non-contact, contact, collision and combat. Right. Personally I think kids get way too many choices these days with some good, some bad outcomes but should they be banned from Rugby? They start knifing one another at aged 11 anyway.

Jeremy Vine Show?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Just a guess :thumbsup:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
On a serious note, Rugby is one of the few mainstream sports we can still compete at seriously at an international level. Watch that slip away if this witch gets her way.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"Jeremy Vine just sits there and reads out the Daily Mail."

I didn't say that, my friend did on a podcast but it made me laugh.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
He is a self promoting fool, simply saying things to generate responses (his job I guess),.....but he hasn't got the intelligence more often than not to back up any of the stances he adopts.....as for this subject....he knows nothing, his speaker knows nothing.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yes, he is a ridiculous man however his phone ins are both amusing and sometimes interesting. And often infuriating as another permanently outraged house wife or bored pensioner rings in to spout right wing hokum. Not as bad as Radio London's 11pm phone in though.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Yes, he is a ridiculous man however his phone ins are both amusing and sometimes interesting. And often infuriating as another permanently outraged house wife or bored pensioner rings in to spout right wing hokum. Not as bad as Radio London's 11pm phone in though.

Not forgetting the left wing crap too......

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What nonsense, I can't recall anyone getting hurt when we played rugby at school, apart from a few cuts and bruises but they don't count. It seems to be the modern way, not exposing children to any kind of danger or confrontation, important parts of growing up. What next? Banning cricket because the ball is too hard?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I think sport at school level needs to be less competitive altogether. Too many silly cup and league matches for kids who need to just practise and enjoy the game it's self.
Rugby at youth level can look really silly at times. Often all it takes is a u12 rugby team to have one quick lanky player who just steam rolls through every team they play and they'll win trophies. You often see athletic kids getting outdone at a young age by larger kids who are less athletic and skilled. Competition makes the game physical. Football has a similar problem. At youth district level in london, a lot of the teams I remember had massive black kids playing in every position. IT was very difficult to play when i was young against people who were twice my size and strength but yet the same age. I often saw good technical player always outmuscled off the ball by players, footballing wise, who were no where near the same level. It was a case of the skilled players getting outmuscled whilst the hoof and boot players were getting all the ball all in sake of some plastic crappy youth trophy. Sport in youth in our country needs serious consideration. It's not surprising our England football team look so scared to touch the ball.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think sport at school level needs to be less competitive altogether. Too many silly cup and league matches for kids who need to just practise and enjoy the game it's self.
Rugby at youth level can look really silly at times. Often all it takes is a u12 rugby team to have one quick lanky player who just steam rolls through every team they play and they'll win trophies. You often see athletic kids getting outdone at a young age by larger kids who are less athletic and skilled. Competition makes the game physical. Football has a similar problem. At youth district level in london, a lot of the teams I remember had massive black kids playing in every position. IT was very difficult to play when i was young against people who were twice my size and strength but yet the same age. I often saw good technical player always outmuscled off the ball by players, footballing wise, who were no where near the same level. It was a case of the skilled players getting outmuscled whilst the hoof and boot players were getting all the ball all in sake of some plastic crappy youth trophy. Sport in youth in our country needs serious consideration. It's not surprising our England football team look so scared to touch the ball.

I quite enjoyed that, although rather than steam roll through the other team I preferred to run around them. Needless to say I gave up when I was about 14 because we started playing properly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Isn't rugby non-contact up to a certain age ?

You start contact rugby at 8, it's non-contact up till then

My daughter plays for Lewes U-11s and it's the physical part that she likes the most: she finds it intensely satisfying bringing a considerably bigger boy crashing to the ground.

Coaches these days are very aware of problem areas and try to reduce injury (quick to stop play if a kid's hurt, uncontested scrums if it's a mismatch etc). Any attempt to put a stop a rugby should be treated with the contempt it deserves

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My rugby coach - Tony Miller of Corals Greyhound fame - informed us daily "The bigger they are, the harder they fall".

The lady in question clearly needs to be dump tackled to knock some sense in to her.

enterprise

Jul 12, 2010
My rugby coach - Tony Miller of Corals Greyhound fame - informed us daily "The bigger they are, the harder they fall".

The lady in question clearly needs to be dump tackled to knock some sense in to her.

Tony Miller, or Charlie Miller, bookie from Hove greyhounds? He taught me!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Forcing a child to play Rugby is dangerous as, if they go into it half-hearted, they will get hurt. But it is all in the coaching - learn to tackle properly and it should not be an issue.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Not as dangerous as hockey. Seriously.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Thing about Rugby is your upper body is the main impact zone. That is a strong unit.

Football seems to suffar far worse injuries as, frankly, legs are just a bit WEAK and flimsy. Someones leg being kicked bloody hard is much more likely to get an injury than some kids playing ruggers.

Of course you are always going to get the freak horrendous injury in any sport, but I would say I used to get far more hurt playing football in my school days.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here