Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa's stamina

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
First things first this isn't meant as a pop at Ulloa as we'd clearly be screwed without him and he is our most indispensable player. The point I want to make is about his stamina. It seems that he can't play 90 minutes, or when he does play 90 minutes, by the last 15 he is blowing out of his arse. I know it is natural for players to tire as a game goes on, but Ulloa seems to struggle more than anyone else - quite visibly as well.

Is it still a lack of match fitness? I don't think we can use that as an excuse for much longer, it if all anymore.

Does he put in a considerably bigger shift than the rest of our players? Would be interesting to see the distance covered statistics for this, although clearly he has the biggest physical battle to deal with, so they wouldn't reveal everything.

Or is it simply that he's not a naturally fit player? I'm beginning to lean towards this, perhaps he's just not blessed with great stamina. In a way it could make the perpetual case we often make of our players 'if he had good stamina he wouldn't be playing for us, he'd already be in the Premier League'.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The poor excuse of a player that replaced him was knackered after he ran onto the pitch, I'd rather have 75 minutes from Ulloa everyday of the week than what we had in reserve.

Looking at Ulloa he covers a lot of the pitch in the game.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
He definitely suffers from stamina. He had the best game since his return from injury though last night.

But he can't play two games in a few days without being poor in one of them. Very much doubt he will start next Monday night as a result.

My theory is that his gameplay is highly physical. Constantly competing for the ball with a strong centre half, on his own for large parts of the play. Not sure whether you see similar issues for other players at other clubs in the same role. Any examples anyone?

Jan 14, 2008
Windsor ontario
Looked like he got a knock last night. Coming off he seemed to indicate to the ref ....not sure if anyone else saw it .....I was watching it on tv In Canada so I was quite a distance away !!!!!

Coming off a long lay off and some heavier pitches make it tough if imagine aswell.....looked back to his best last night I thought...a real handful ...amazed he missed that header...would've put my house on him finishing that.....good signs though 3 in 3

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Was sat above the benches and when he came off, he pointed to his calf to a physio, so got a slight knock I think.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
He called the bench to replace him so maybe there was a slight knock too.

The back of his lag was stamped on during the second half, he limped slightly afterwards. He then went off soon after. (I was sitting close to the incident in the North Stand).

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
He really does cover most of the pitch in the time he's on. Even when opponents have a corner he's back defending before having to get back up field. He also spends quite a bit of time holding the ball up on his own waiting for the midfield to try & join him.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I was right by the bench and he had a quick chat with the physios but none of them seemed that concerned.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I'm not just referring to last night with this. He has been subbed off early before and nearly always seems to tire drastically in matches, and as [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] has noted, he really struggles to play two matches in a week.

I think the likelihood is it's a combo of poor stamina and a lot of physical work during matches.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
He definitely suffers from stamina. He had the best game since his return from injury though last night.

But he can't play two games in a few days without being poor in one of them. Very much doubt he will start next Monday night as a result.

My theory is that his gameplay is highly physical. Constantly competing for the ball with a strong centre half, on his own for large parts of the play. Not sure whether you see similar issues for other players at other clubs in the same role. Any examples anyone?

Crivens! I didn't realise stamina was a now a detrimental medical condition, Mr G. There's hope for us all yet then. Marvelous. :)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I'm not just referring to last night with this. He has been subbed off early before and nearly always seems to tire drastically in matches, and as [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] has noted, he really struggles to play two matches in a week.

I think the likelihood is it's a combo of poor stamina and a lot of physical work during matches.

I am going to sound like a broken record here but surely playing the lone front role has its problems. I am still convinced that Ulloa would look a far better (and less knackered) player with a support striker.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There are a whole host of good comments on this thread. Let me make the following points about Ulloa:
1. he is a quite simply brilliant goalscorer, and could easily play above this level. His heading is right up there (there are a lot of criticisms about his one just before half-time, for instance, but it only missed by a fraction, and this is the price you pay for all of those other ones that go in to the top corner, inside netting, etc).
2. he plays up front on his own, and this role is physically demanding, accentuated both by the willingness with which he takes on the role, and the system that we play. This means that…
3. … he can't play 90 minutes of every game -- there really aren't too many forward, especially, pivotal forward players that can so, in a sense, that's not really surprising…
4. … those forward players that can and do play 90 minutes of every game when fit, tend to be the elite players, whose physique is ideal for this -- I'm not sure that we can classify Ulloa as an elite player with a concomitant physique
5. the one thing that he lacks more than stamina, though, is pace. He can be very leaden-footed at times and at any stage of the game. This lack of pace is the key thing that has prevented him playing at the top level thus far. That said, the way he took on the Hull defence last night was brilliant, especially the way that he got his body in front of the retreating defender, and what a clinical, deft finish.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There is a perfectly good reason why Ulloa is knackered after 60 minutes. It is because he is asked to do too much. He needs support up front. You can go on all day about formations but apart from Buckley no one gets close to him. Ok away from home sometimes but at home you have to go for it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here