Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A minutes applause for the worlds greatest player !

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Or to be precise " a minutes applause for the player considered the best of all time". I can't stand this type of bum licking eulogy. He was perhaps one if the best players in the English league but don't be silly and get over sentimental about it. A well deserved round of applause though.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If I was pressed on it I'd say the North end of the Amex were the loudest clappers from start to...mmm...finneysh during the minute's applause.

He actually said for 'a player considered by some to be the best of all time.' Which he was. There were people on the TV and radio all weekend that saw him play saying he was the best they'd ever seen. Hardly the same as the world's greatest player. Why didn't you just add FACT in there to make your point even more pathetic.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
My god you must have a shyt life Hopkins. Why can't you just celebrate the life of a true footballing gentleman without having to run back to your PC.

You sad twatt.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Or to be precise " a minutes applause for the player considered the best of all time". I can't stand this type of bum licking eulogy. He was perhaps one if the best players in the English league but don't be silly and get over sentimental about it. A well deserved round of applause though.

What a strange thing to get wound up about. Jeez. I never saw Tom Finney play, but I'm quite willing to accept that many who did, considered him to be on of the best. They didn't say he was "considered the best of all time", they said "considered by some to be...".

That said, he's clearly a man regarded with enormous affection by many within the game, so is it really that much of a problem to you how some stadium announcer chooses to present the briefest of eulogies? If you're not interested, stand still, or politely join in regardless. Seems incredibly small minded that a tribute to a frail, recently deceased 91 year old man who was a footballing hero to many folk should be dismissed as mere "bum licking".

Call me old fashioned but...

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013

What a strange thread?? I never saw him play but he was obviously a once in a generation type player - add to that the way he conducted himself (he was never booked or sent off), he was also a one club player and was a fantastic player for England - if he had been born a few years later he would have been part of the 66' winning side.

It is not sentimental "bum licking" - in all aspects of life an appreciation of the past helps to give perspective and understanding to our present.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

You miserable little scrote.

Bore off saddo.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
To be fair, like the OP, I think it's understandable to have a strong dislike to players being over-hyped. Especially when there is an insular bias towards British players being 'the best' in these types of judgement, despite evidence to the contrary on the field of play. It can be said that when Tom Finney played, the England team's claims to being the best in the world was receding.

However, in applying his point to Finney rather than today's overpaid stars, I suggest the OP is misdirecting his venom. In the days before worldwide TV coverage, Tom Finney was considered the best by a whole generation of fans in this country. So the eulogy was accurate. That and the fact, by all accounts, he was an absolute gent, means he was worthy of the applause.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Out of all the people to pay respect to at a'football match' I think a 'footballer' is pretty apt isn't it? As opposed to Nelson Mandela.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Bloody hell - it's not just our own players, we even get threads slagging off dead footballers now.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
My point was that out of all the conversations about the best footballer EVER i have never heard Tom Finneys name mentioned. I applauded because of the way he carried himself as a man and was also a very good footballer , I just think the statement 'considered by many to be the best of all time' to be too subjective. Can't we just have a nice eulogy without the sensationalist statement ? That was my point, yours Sincerely Sad little Man 😉

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
What a strange thing to get wound up about. Jeez. I never saw Tom Finney play, but I'm quite willing to accept that many who did, considered him to be on of the best. They didn't say he was "considered the best of all time", they said "considered by some to be...".

That said, he's clearly a man regarded with enormous affection by many within the game, so is it really that much of a problem to you how some stadium announcer chooses to present the briefest of eulogies? If you're not interested, stand still, or politely join in regardless. Seems incredibly small minded that a tribute to a frail, recently deceased 91 year old man who was a footballing hero to many folk should be dismissed as mere "bum licking".

Call me old fashioned but...

Dear Old Fashioned,
You are spot on. :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be fair, like the OP, I think it's understandable to have a strong dislike to players being over-hyped. Especially when there is an insular bias towards British players being 'the best' in these types of judgement, despite evidence to the contrary on the field of play. It can be said that when Tom Finney played, the England team's claims to being the best in the world was receding.

However, in applying his point to Finney rather than today's overpaid stars, I suggest the OP is misdirecting his venom. In the days before worldwide TV coverage, Tom Finney was considered the best by a whole generation of fans in this country. So the eulogy was accurate. That and the fact, by all accounts, he was an absolute gent, means he was worthy of the applause.
A very fair post in my opinion. It's reasonable to be fed up with exaggerates eulogies, but as you say, the OP is misdirecting his annoyance.

I don't like these threads where opinion goes against the OP with ever increasing venom such that by the 20th post he's the devil incarnate, so this post was refreshingly honest.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
My point was that out of all the conversations about the best footballer EVER i have never heard Tom Finneys name mentioned. I applauded because of the way he carried himself as a man and was also a very good footballer , I just think the statement 'considered by many to be the best of all time' to be too subjective. Can't we just have a nice eulogy without the sensationalist statement ? That was my point, yours Sincerely Sad little Man 😉

"Considered by many who aren't the Sky generation to be one of the greatest English players" I think he said.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Why not just let a little poetic licence go in this case ???

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
It made more sense than a minutes applause for Nelson Mandella, who had nothing to do with football or Brighton and Hove Albion

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It made more sense than a minutes applause for Nelson Mandella, who had nothing to do with football or Brighton and Hove Albion

The most inappropriate minute's silence ever was held during a home game at Withdean, and was for Ken Bigley, a civil engineer from Merseyside who'd been working in Baghdad when he was taken hostage and subsequently beheaded by his kidnappers.

My thoughts on matchday tributes like that are that they should be for world/English footballing figures of great note, Albion/former Albion players and staff or notable supporters, other figures of importance amongst the local/Sussex community, or figures of significant national relevance (say, senior members of the royal family, prime ministers and so on, whatever your political views). I can't see many cases for minutes of silence or applause beyond that.

Ken Bigley had nothing to do with football, was not a figure of national importance (and I really don't mean that in a disrespectful way), was from Liverpool and had no connection with the Albion or Sussex, so it was utterly bizarre when they announced we'd be remembering him. I mean, I politely joined in and all that, not to do so would have been rude, but I couldn't for the life of me see why it was held, any more than we would for any other person who died that week in tragic circumstances.

By those standards, paying a few moments of respect for Sir Tom Finney was completely appropriate IMHO.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
My point wasn't that we had a minutes silence for Tom Finney, it was the use of language used to describe him. How was Ken Bigley described ? War hero or considered by many as the worlds best civil engineer that profited privately from the war with Iraq ?

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Duncan Edwards is often regarded as the best player to ever grace the game, and that's coming from Bobby Charlton - England's record goalscorer.

Does that piss you off, OP? Does it...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here