Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
If you have a glass of drink, topped up with ice......when the ice melts will the glass overflow? Not as easy to answer as you may think!:mad:

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
Shouldn't think so, as I recall from many years back (but can't remember what I had for lunch nowadays) that water expands by 1/9th when it freezes, so it should take up less space in the glass.

But maybe I remember wrongly.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
Shouldn't think so, as I recall from many years back (but can't remember what I had for lunch nowadays) that water expands by 1/9th when it freezes, so it should take up less space in the glass.

But maybe I remember wrongly.

I have heard so many different answers but no-one seems certain on this!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm certain.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not sure about that but I do know a vodka rep told me and proved it to me many years ago that you put ice in the glass and add the vodka to it but all other spirits you put the spirit in first and then add the ice.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
Not sure about that but I do know a vodka rep told me and proved it to me many years ago that you put ice in the glass and add the vodka to it but all other spirits you put the spirit in first and then add the ice.

So in all your years as a landlord you have never watched a drink with ice added melt and overflow.......or not?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Frozen water expands. Clearly the water is displace but does the ice above the water level provide enough to make the glass overflow? Being a keen scientist, I've set up a small experiment and shall reveal my results in due course.

I put two ice cubes in a glass and hopefully created a convex meniscus. Equipment available to me, did not allow me to fill the glass to the very maximum.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Here is a MUCH better question. Why does HOT water freeze FASTER than COLD water?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
This is the obvious answer, but for the OP to ask this it has to be a trick question.

Possibly because alcohol expands when heated?

No ......no trick......you think its the obvious answer, I did, but no- one is certain. Over to you B.O.F

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The answer is very simple. No. But I assume you want some overly complex answer?

Aug 23, 2011
What is the ambient temperature? If the glass is in a 40c heat then you'll get quite a bit of evaporation as the ice melts so unlikely to overflow. Also how much ice and liquid are there? If I can be bothered tomorrow I will do some crude calculations and try and prove the answer but I expect BoF has got it right as I hypothesise that it wouldn't overflow.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I have no scientific proof but I reckon the level of the fluid will drop as the ice melts. Just because ice is expanded water so when it melts it will get smaller. I think.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
... as I recall from many years back (but can't remember what I had for lunch nowadays) that water expands by 1/9th when it freezes ...

Assumptions:
- glass is filled to brim before experiment starts
- Ice cubes, like icebergs, are supposedly 90% below the water line
- according to the dark recesses of horshamite's mind, water expands by 1/9th when it freezes

Workings:
- 1/9 of the 90% of the ice cube below the water line is exactly equal to the 10% above the water line
- as the ice melts each 10 units of frozen water turns into 9 units of liquid water

Answer:
Miraculously, the water level never changes.

However: the climatologists/oceanographers/boffins tell us that melting icecaps will put half the planet under water. Therefore, melted water takes up more space than frozen. Therefore the water level isn't constant. Therefore the glass will overflow.

But: the climate thing is not a direct comparison because sea water has salt and other rubbish in it (e.g. fish poo)

Notwithstanding: I am pretty sure I have had glasses of drink with half a ton of ice in them which haven't resulted in a flood

In conclusion: buggered if I know, I have come up with three answers and I wish I hadn't opened the thread :dunce:

Roll on tomorrow night ... let's rip 'em a new one :rave:

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Ah yes, see your point ... they're not floating in the sea like lots of very big ice cubes!

Cool ... I'm off to read a thread about football.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I thought sea levels will rise due to glaciers and others melting, which are obviously not in the equation yet as they are above sea level.

Nah, glaciers account for not a lot of all water, might raise the sea up a couple of centimeters, it's Greenland and Antarctica which store a LOT of water which if they were to melt completely would rise sea levels (although I reckon that at that point, the world's climate would have altered so dramatically that the rising sea might just be the least of our worries.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here