Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland fan here

DanSAFC

Feb 16, 2014
Obviously with the draw comes the chance that Poyet will face his old club, and I was reading through here to see what the general consensus was on that. It seems that you, lets just say, don't like our manager much. But I was wondering why exactly? I never really read much into the situation that got him sacked (all I recall was an incident in Crystal Palace's dressing room in the play-offs?) and have no real idea on what terms he left. Just wondering, any insight would be appreciated.

Good luck tomorrow by the way, hopefully you can upset Bruce a bit for us.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Obviously with the draw comes the chance that Poyet will face his old club, and I was reading through here to see what the general consensus was on that. It seems that you, lets just say, don't like our manager much. But I was wondering why exactly? I never really read much into the situation that got him sacked (all I recall was an incident in Crystal Palace's dressing room in the play-offs?) and have no real idea on what terms he left. Just wondering, any insight would be appreciated.

Read the boo, clap, meh thread. It's far too simplistic to say that 'we' don't like Poyet. Lots of us still have very positive feelings about him, and I will always be grateful for 4 of my favourite years watching football.

Others feel differently, but it's split quite evenly.

Seagrrl

Jan 22, 2012
Hove
I think there might also be a bit of upset that whatever soured the relationship meant saying goodbye to Charlie Oatway half way through his testimonial year. Good luck to all I say, not many manager and club relationships end prettily.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
The dressing room thing was largely blown out of proportion. The problem is, if he had been poached by Sunderland as a Premiership team and gone with our blessing, he would have left a Brighton legend. Unfortunately having lost to our fiercest rivals he came out with some very egocentric comments about reconsidering his future and "hitting a ceiling" with Brighton when in fact we could have been 90 minutes from the Premier League if we'd won that game. Then, rather than just firing him, we did the dignified and respectful thing of suspending him and asking him to attend a disciplinary - i.e., followed employment law. He refused to turn up, went on the BBC, and appeared to lie on national television saying he didn't know he'd been sacked, as the club maintain he did know. Either way, he ruined a lot of goodwill with the selfish way he acted. He is a guy who divides opinion (your fans love him at the moment because you're doing well - give it time). I personally still thank him for what he did for the club but think he showed an amazing disrespect for a club that gave him a shot at management, and financially supported him very well, a trust and loyalty most first-time managers don't get.

As it happens we'll probably lose to Hull anyway, but if we do get through, I imagine we'll be the feature TV fixture (unless there's a Sheffield derby) - Sky love a story.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Generally there is a big split on here. I don't dislike him & plenty of others don't, it's quite evenly split but there you go. IF we do play you, the reception will be mixed.

Not much else to say really, I'd imagine the Gus haters just express themselves more so it seems like we all hate him because those of us who appreciate what he did for the club have got bored of arguing with the said haters.

DanSAFC

Feb 16, 2014
Read the boo, clap, meh thread. It's far too simplistic to say that 'we' don't like Poyet. Lots of us still have very positive feelings about him, and I will always be grateful for 4 of my favourite years watching football.

Others feel differently, but it's split quite evenly.

I got to page 5 on there but there's not much actual reasoning as to why people don't like him, all I could make out really was stuff about things said in the press, taking legal action and not turning up to a game, is that about the jist of it or am I missing something big?

Edit: Seen brightonrock's post now, that's cleared things up a bit, cheers. Oh and to the bloke after him I'm well aware how Google works, I'd prefer to hear it from actual fans rather than newspaper articles etc.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Good manager, but behaved like an arse when things weren't going his way (budget, career, and whatever else may have happened). Liam Bridcutt is a similar case, good player for us and will improve further, but when a player effectively withdraws his labour whilst earning great money when compared to the fans he can feck off!

If they had left us in a reasonable way I, and many others, would applaud them back onto our pitch should the footballing gods dictate that we make it through to the 6th round.

As it is, it may be the most hostile The Amex can be, except for Palace of course!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

You obviously havn't read through very far. Another one of you CHIMPS posted the EXACT same thread last week, and the week before that.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I got to page 5 on there but there's not much actual reasoning as to why people don't like him, all I could make out really was stuff about things said in the press, taking legal action and not turning up to a game, is that about the jist of it or am I missing something big?

In time, you'll understand. That's all there is to say.

DanSAFC

Feb 16, 2014
You obviously havn't read through very far. Another one of you CHIMPS posted the EXACT same thread last week, and the week before that.

Funnily enough I haven't looked at your forum in the last few weeks, nor do I have much interest in sifting through pages of talk about things that are irrelevant to me/Sunderland, if it annoys you that much you don't have to reply.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Edit: Seen brightonrock's post now, that's cleared things up a bit, cheers. Oh and to the bloke after him I'm well aware how Google works, I'd prefer to hear it from actual fans rather than newspaper articles etc.

We are all missing something Big mate, The only thing we know for sure is that nobody outside the club actually knows what happened between him and the powers that be. This place went into meltdown with speculation , opinions have been formed and sides have been taken based on the little we know.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
On the contrary, we loved him - and many of us still do. He totally transformed the football at our club and we will never forget that nor cease to be thankful. I hope he continues to turn things around for you at Sunderland. However, things were not at all right during his last few months with us and things ended very badly indeed. We don't really know why ourselves and perhaps never will. So most of us have mixed feelings.

PS Gus had it all, the backing of the best chairman ever, a brand new state of the art stadium packed with fans every week with a brand new state of the art training facility nearing completion - and he threw it all away ...

Last edited:

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Top manager
Managers should be judged on results and he took us up the rung a little bit more each season
He left us in a healthy position
He is extremely confident in his own ability and ambitious
We were lucky to have him

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I expect he got lost on here. Sunderland fans aren't used to large messageboards.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Funnily enough I haven't looked at your forum in the last few weeks, nor do I have much interest in sifting through pages of talk about things that are irrelevant to me/Sunderland, if it annoys you that much you don't have to reply.

We have many on here who suffer from Obsessive Whinging Disorder. Your suggestion sounds reasonable to us whinge typicals but our brothers and sisters on the spectrum just can't help themselves. If asked if the glass is half full or half empty they will tell us that they wanted a cup of tea.

It is a very sad condition but we remain supportive.

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast

You seem like a reasonable Sunderland fan and I can well understand how positive you might feel towards Mr Gus Poyet. He has already done well for you. Other Albion posters have posted succinct (and accurate) answers to your questions so job done!

I would just add this... Not all fans either hate or respect him. Personally, I am indifferent to him. He did well for us, , then we realised that for him the job was always just a stepping stone to 'bigger and better' things. Fair enough. No affection left on either side.

You will find the same thing later on. Sorry but it's true.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here