Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pre HD days

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Watching Arsenal versus Liverpool on BT sport without HD. Jesus it's dreadful.
Was it really this bad.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Watching Arsenal versus Liverpool on BT sport without HD. Jesus it's dreadful.
Was it really this bad.

You've probably got a much bigger TV than in the old days, which makes it worse. It's just what you get used to.

Anyone saying they can't tell the difference has probably got a very small one.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Personally I can never tell the difference, other than the fact HD is slightly louder & about a second behind normal TV.

You need to go to spec savers then or get some new ones. So blurry Chez it's unreal. HD really comes into its own with sport and Attenborough type programmes.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went from old tube tv to a clear vision tube TV, and didn't notice the difference until I went back to someone else's place with an old tube tv.
I then got digital cable, and didn't notice the difference until I went back to someone else's place with analogue.
I got a flat screen HD ready tv and a dvd recorder with 720p upscaling, didn't notice the difference until I saw someone else's regular dvd
Now have sky HD didn't notice the difference much until I saw someone else's with standard definition.

Seems I only notice when I go back rather than making the step up.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I went from old tube tv to a clear vision tube TV, and didn't notice the difference until I went back to someone else's place with an old tube tv.
I then got digital cable, and didn't notice the difference until I went back to someone else's place with analogue.
I got a flat screen HD ready tv and a dvd recorder with 720p upscaling, didn't notice the difference until I saw someone else's regular dvd
Now have sky HD didn't notice the difference much until I saw someone else's with standard definition.

Seems I only notice when I go back rather than making the step up.

We watched our new SKY HD for a week with everyone but me saying how great it was until someone realised they didn't even have it set on the HDMI setting. It's true though what you say.....it's when you go back.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I think that there IS a difference. For example, look at these pictures of Rachel Riley. One is HD, the other is not.

RR HD.jpg RR non HD.jpg

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Football on ITV was dreadful prior to HD. Mind you, the commentary coverage still is!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What's wrong with 405 lines black and white?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Watching on iPad was too blurry (would go into proper HD mode for a few seconds, if that) and sometimes would just stop so I went to watch on my Mac which was a lot better (ruling out internet speed being an issue, almost 7MB anyway), HD for more extended periods but often got a little blurry (not as bad as in iPad app). I wouldn't like to rely on it (and certainly wouldn't pay for that level of quality, thankfully free with BB) and will mean I will go to match at the Amex tomorrow (if I can finish work on time).

I would certainly hope it would be faultless if watching on Sky or via TV aerial.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
You need to go to spec savers then or get some new ones. So blurry Chez it's unreal. HD really comes into its own with sport and Attenborough type programmes.

I have no pretence in these things but totally agree. Fortunate to have good eyesight and an average 32" £300 hd tv, the difference for me is immense and fully appreciated particularly when watching sport, generally football, cycling, cricket, much enjoyment lost without HD .

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Your eyes get used to a HD picture , when you go back to SD the loss in quality becomes more apparent. Watching a SD channel on a Sky+ HD box and the resolution can be 504 X 576 , 576 X 480 , 576 X 504 , 720 X 576 or 720 X 480 , whereas in HD the channel has a resolution of 1080 X 1980.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you watch some footie on ITV and compare SD and HD you'll notice a difference but its marginal. the BT sport non-HD is pretty poor, i dont know if thats because they use a poorer compresion to make it available to everyone, even on slow connections, or deliberatly to nobble it and upsell you HD. i rather fancy its the latter.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here