Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

o/t - Fussy dog

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
My son has a Alaskan malamute that point blankly refuses to eat dry dog food and is fast losing weight. We now have him on a diet of boiled chicken and rice and have ground up the dog food to mix in with it so he gets the vitamins. He devours this but now has runny poo. Can anyone out there offer any advice as to whether they have come across this problem and how they sorted it out. Don't want to resort to tinned food if possible.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Dogs did exist before dog food was invented. As long as it eats and seems healthy then don't worry about it. Dog's can be vegetarian too and still be healthy (Unlike cats)

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
He's a smart dog and he's holding out for the good stuff!

Exactly what happened to my boxer dog, she wouldn't eat any of the dry stuff which she was initially bought up on until i started giving her my left overs. she drastically lost weight and i worried and took her to the vets.
They told me to put the food down for a set period of time then take the bowl away if she hadn't touched it, which i did and it worked.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Take him to the Vet. Get him tested for Diabetes.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Couple of key points.

Quite surprises some people, but dogs do have quite sensitive stomach. If you change their food, you can expect to be scooping the runny stuff until their stomachs get used to the new food, so this is only really a problem, if it continues.

You don't mention how old the dog is ? Teething puppies can go off dried food, because it is painful to eat. You could try soaking the kibble in water.

This site is really useful for assessing commercial dog food and working out what to feed.

http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/dog-feeding-guide.php

I have a Sussex Spaniel which is coming up to one year old and has been a fussy eater. He now eats twice a day at 16:00 and 20:00 and eats a mixture of three foods, one wet two dry. It sounds a little quirky, but he doesn't get bored or turns his nose up at food anymore. The dried food is fish based, as he really likes fish. If we have to leave him, he gets a kong stuffed with tinned tuna and then frozen, which keeps him occupied for a couple of hours.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Give him some natural yoghurt, that will sort his digestive system

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
One of my German Shorthaired Pointers is a little like this, really doesn't like dry food. He also developed pancreatitis at 7yrs old so we keep him on a low fat diet, which rules out a lot of dry and wet food (has to be below 10% fat). I use frozen blocks from Pets at Home (other pet shops are available) made by Natures Menu, the all Beef ones. I defrost and mix with a lot of water so its like a meaty soup and then mix dry food in with this. This seems to moisten the dry food and give it some taste. Blocks are just less than a quid and use 1 a day 50:50 with dry food. Laps it up (quite literally).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Get a Jack Russell. They eat horse shi.t

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What's the problem with 'resorting' to tinned food?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here