Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

THE OBSERVER Big Sam and Ravel Morrison. An Interesting Saga

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Read this last night, terrible shame if true, and disgrace to Allardyce and Nolan who have pretty much destroyed his chances of going to the World Cup. Probably could still be in with a chance if he had gone to Fulham but they obviously wouldn't let him do that. Player with real talent and potential not being looked after properly. Though bodes well for the future that his lifestyle has improved with 'steady girlfriend' and 'doesn't drink'.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Well, if as the article suggests, Ravel Morrison is now the model professional then he stands every chance of a happy ending here. West Ham are not assured of Premier League survival this year. If the Hammers go down and QPR go up with Morrison starring then Allardyce will look a bit daft

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Saw that, there were allegations of this kind about an 'unnamed manager' floating about earlier in the season. I suspect this is commonplace: haven't Cardiff recently signed a lot of players with the same agent as the new manager?

Fortunately for Ravel Morrison he can now concentrate solely on his football, working with a manager who isn't in the slightest bit interested in money.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
That's disgusting, allardyce really is a dog, I remember him promising to sue all and sundry when the BBC caught him out over bungs etc, surprise , surprise nothing ever came of it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Strange goings on indeed, I recall the " fury " about Fulham sniffing out Morrison a month or so ago, did he instigate it or has he fallen out with Sam after the move fell through. Either way the agent scenario stinks. A manager should not need an agent as it will constantly throw up conflicts of interest in transfer dealings where there is a huge opportunity for kickbacks for all parties except the club.

Having heard some rumours about Nolan's off the field reputation at Newcastle & other pretty shocking alleged misdemeanours this doesn't surprise me. A prize cjtc if there ever was one!

Bobby More and Ron Greenwood would be turning in their graves if they knew that dinosaur was in charge of their club. Totally the wrong man for West Ham's footballing tradition.

They were my team before I became seagullised, but not any more. At least, not until Allardyce has gone, which probably won't be long.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
It's a sad indictment of the values of English football and the attitude it has towards technique when a club chooses to build its team around Andy Carroll instead of building it around Ravel Morrison.

West Ham are moving to a 54,000 stadium in 2 years' time. If Allardyce is still in charge by then, they will be playing in front of a half empty stadium.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I appreciate that Big Sam isn't the most likeable bloke in football, but I'm surprised how many people seem to believe that Morrison is now a saint, despite widely regarded as a total scumbag who has already been booted out of one club, and now is seemingly going the same way with another.

No mention either of his bust up in the Engand U21 game that made him look a complete knobber.

A very one sided article I suspect intent on boosting Morrison's reputation and crushing Allardyce's.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I appreciate that Big Sam isn't the most likeable bloke in football, but I'm surprised how many people seem to believe that Morrison is now a saint, despite widely regarded as a total scumbag who has already been booted out of one club, and now is seemingly going the same way with another.

No mention either of his bust up in the Engand U21 game that made him look a complete knobber.

A very one sided article I suspect intent on boosting Morrison's reputation and crushing Allardyce's.

So, if you have made mistakes in the past, you are not allowed to move on from them? Morrison got in with the wrong crowd as a teenager, as a lot of impressionable people that age do. He made mistakes and paid the price for them, but then he moved away from the bad influences and knuckled down. Stopping drinking, have a steady girlfriend and not being in nightclubs are signs of someone turning over a new leaf, are they not?

The incident in the under-21s was really a load of fuss about nothing. He scored a couple of goals and wanted to take a penalty to get a hat-trick. He was stopped from doing so in order for the regular penalty taker to take it. Quite right that they did too. Hardly the only player to have ever done that though. How about Daniel Sturridge the other week in the Merseyside Derby? It shows he wants to be involved and take responsibility. Sooner that than someone who sits on his hands when the penalty competition comes round, e.g. Nicolas Anelka or Javier Hernandez against Sunderland the other week.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Lots more going on behind the scenes than the article tells. He's ****ed it up with Man U, if he ****s it up with WH, then you must seriously look at whether the bloke wants to play football.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Didn't he stand to get a major pay rise after a certain number of appearances for West Ham? I dare say that had something to do with him also being frozen out. But that's hardly his fault, but West Ham's for agreeing to it in the first place if they had no intention of meeting those demands.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Lots more going on behind the scenes than the article tells. He's ****ed it up with Man U, if he ****s it up with WH, then you must seriously look at whether the bloke wants to play football.

Couldn't similar be said of Andy Carroll? Also, how come Kevin Nolan is still West Ham captain when he gets himself sent off twice in a matter of weeks to earn himself a little winter's break? Smells a lot of hypocrisy to me.

Aug 18, 2013
So, if you have made mistakes in the past, you are not allowed to move on from them? Morrison got in with the wrong crowd as a teenager, as a lot of impressionable people that age do. He made mistakes and paid the price for them, but then he moved away from the bad influences and knuckled down. Stopping drinking, have a steady girlfriend and not being in nightclubs are signs of someone turning over a new leaf, are they not?

The incident in the under-21s was really a load of fuss about nothing. He scored a couple of goals and wanted to take a penalty to get a hat-trick. He was stopped from doing so in order for the regular penalty taker to take it. Quite right that they did too. Hardly the only player to have ever done that though. How about Daniel Sturridge the other week in the Merseyside Derby? It shows he wants to be involved and take responsibility. Sooner that than someone who sits on his hands when the penalty competition comes round, e.g. Nicolas Anelka or Javier Hernandez against Sunderland the other week.

So one bloke from the Observer says Big Sam is crooked and Morrison is innocent and you completely take the story as gospel? Come on, it's the Sunday press.

The kid may have sorted himself out a bit after being kicked out of Manchester (although I don't think that can be proved), but ultimately if he hadn't gone off the rails somewhere along the line he would be in contention for the England squad rather than a loan move to the Championship. His form at the beginning of the season was superb.

I would speculate that 'his people' have leaked out a story to deflect the blame from the main person culpable for his rapid fall from grace - the player himself.

Aug 18, 2013

Incidently, if this had happened in an albion game there would be uproar. An off the ball attack on a teammate after the ball has gone out for a goalkick. Absolutely pathetic from a player who is clearly a headcase.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
So one bloke from the Observer says Big Sam is crooked and Morrison is innocent and you completely take the story as gospel? Come on, it's the Sunday press.

The kid may have sorted himself out a bit after being kicked out of Manchester (although I don't think that can be proved), but ultimately if he hadn't gone off the rails somewhere along the line he would be in contention for the England squad rather than a loan move to the Championship. His form at the beginning of the season was superb.

No. The story only confirms what I already thought. Which is that Allardyce and West Ham's hierarchy are about as straight as Renaud Lavillenie's pole vault pole.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Incidently, if this had happened in an albion game there would be uproar. An off the ball attack on a teammate after the ball has gone out for a goalkick. Absolutely pathetic from a player who is clearly a headcase.

2 team-mates falling out on the pitch. Yeah, that's never happened before. Hardly Bowyer v Dyer or Batty v Le Saux. Or indeed, even Grobbelaar v McManaman.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I really hope this isn't the demise of Morrison. I always like watching him play. He's one of those players that will try something outrageous (with a football) at any moment. Shame he is going into the Championship with QPR as he was my pick to squeeze into the England squad for the WC. But he will probably enjoy the style of football better under Kedknapp than Big Sam.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here