Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup Winners should go into Champions League

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
If we really want to bring the FA Cup back to its prominent position with every club going all out to win it, then why on earth don't we give the winners the 4th CL spot instead of rewarding a team that only comes 4th in the Premier League?

discuss.......

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Makes a mockery of the CL by doing that. Champions league really should be the cream of the crop, not a Championship side scraping a lucky 1-0 in the final. Besides, if we did manage to win the FA cup and get into Europe (under your hypothetical suggestion) it would more than likely hinder a first season in the PL and our survival in that league.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Totally agree, incentive to respect the cup. So what if Wigan were in it, as much chance as Arsenal in recent years! The race for top four is pathetic, at least fa cup winners have actually won something rather than possibly finishing 10/20 points behind the champions.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
CL should be for teams that have won something, not teams that are jubilant in coming 4th; Arsenal have won sod all for a decade and yet, because they qualify for the CL their fans think they are a success.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
I think OP's proposal implies that Wigan only won the FA Cup because the high and mighty didn't take it seriously. With a CL place on offer, The Cup would be reinvigorated but then clubs like Wigan wouldn't stand a chance. Although it's a nice idea in theory, the vested interests of UEFA, the big four/five/six, Sky, BT, The FA would never let it happen.

The FAC we fondly remember was about glory but these days football is increasingly about money rather than glory. We all know that of course but is it a good or a bad thing? Neither really ... no matter how much we don't like it, football will continue its relentless march away from the values of its past. Just like every other area of life.

"The past is a different country, they do things differently there."

:shrug::shrug:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
EUFA would do better to bring back the Cup Winners Cup which was always 2nd only to the Champions Cup and thought more highly than the Inter City Fairs Cup (now EUFA CUP) which was a 2nd competition for the also rans who failed to achieve anything else.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Scrap the Europa league, and bring back the cup winners cup......now that was a seriously amazing competition full of unpredictable teams with character.

alas, won't happen.

To beef up the FA cup and being back prestige - All games saturday 3pm unless a replay.......no ifs, no buts......and semis at nuetral grounds.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Champions League is meant to be the best in Europe. Wigan are hardly in that category.

Neither are a team which finishes 4th in the Premier League in my opinion.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'd rather see a return to the European Cup Winners Cup I always enjoyed that competition.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Neither are a team which finishes 4th in the Premier League in my opinion.

This

I believe it always used to be the case that the invitation to submit entrants for the CL actually goes to the FA who in have always based it on league positions. It would be difficult to change as the FA in practice have little control of the Premier League. Having said that, you would have thought that 14 out of the 20 clubs would vote for it (I think they only need 13 anyway) bearing in mind those 14 teams have almost zero chance of qualifying via the league.

In and ideal world it the FA would give a champions league place to the cup winners but we don't live in an ideal world! The fact from 2015/16 the winners of the Europa cup qualify for the CL may re-invigorate that competition the effect of which might trickle down to qualifying tournaments such as the FA cup.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
That would do nothing to increase the standing of the FA Cup, though.

of course it would....if the Cup Winners Cup had a mega TV contract then the prize money of winning the FA cup would rise massively.

Saturday 3pm kick offs would bring back some tradition and prestige too.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
That would do nothing to increase the standing of the FA Cup, though.

Strange how the demise of the CWC, and the flood of CL money coincided with a dilution of the importance of the FA Cup then........resurrect the CWC and put a decent monetary return on it, and you will see the big clubs putting their serious cup faces on again.............but probably in reality, a CL place would work too......but that would be difficult to manage with countries with only one place up for grabs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here