Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian Matthew,Saturday Radio Two.

Jul 7, 2003
Might be getting old but find this programme very interesting. Often find original versions of newer songs that I was not aware of and interesting background to songs and artists. Believe he was one of the original DJs to pick up some new band called The Beatles and did a lot of work with them through the years.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Lots of knowledge and a good voice. Young DJ's could learn a lot from him.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Like many i have to turn up on a Saturday,Matthews is often on air with a fair few before my 'time' just look at at todays playlist 30+ tracks,can we have more of this ? Less chat just MUSIC.:clap2:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03vcmc6

This programme is unmissable for me, totally my era, other stations may also cover sixties music but no one does it like Brian Matthew.
Despite the programme covering an extensive playlist, he still manages to provide just enough background regarding both the artist and the track.
Very knowledgeable, probably because he was around at the time.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
This programme is unmissable for me, totally my era, other stations may also cover sixties music but no one does it like Brian Matthew.
Despite the programme covering an extensive playlist, he still manages to provide just enough background regarding both the artist and the track.

Think a great deal of the information is down to producer Phil "The Collector" Swern.
My favourite show of the week. Get up to listen to it on Saturday mornings and leave the house just as it finishes for home games.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Played one yesterday by someone i had never heard of,Juanita Nixon and Stop knocking. Liked it and like you say decent info/history and then the next track.

Nov 14, 2011
Hassocks
For me, a near perfect radio programme, probably because I grew up in that era. A well produced programme that lets the listener decide a part of the content, which can sometimes be unknown rubbish or hidden gem to overplayed classic. Interesting comment about Brian's voice (which has dropped a few octives through the years). When I used to listen to his 'Saturday Club'. His BBC accent seemed out of step with many of the acts he presented and it used to jar with me. But now I would miss him should he have to give up for whatever reason.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Always really interesting and insightful. great stuff

Good show, great stuff on there also reminders that not everything from the '60's is a timeless classic (Jim Reeve's tribute record on Saturday a good example!). Daughters find his voice "distinctive" - I had to establish for them that he was the same age as grandpa (actually 2 years younger).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here