Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Went to Pompey today...

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
As had a free football day, I went along to watch Pompey v Wimbledon with a mate.

Cant say I have much time for them or some of their fans, the ground is a hole and pitch terrible, but hats off to them, they are near the bottom of League 2, charging £20 per ticket, and still getting just under 16k in attendance.

Still hate them though, but feel good after spending an afternoon helping the needy.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Average attendance they have had in L2 this season has been around 15,000 . This is around 75% of the attendances they were getting in the premier league.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
As had a free football day, I went along to watch Pompey v Wimbledon with a mate.

Cant say I have much time for them or some of their fans, the ground is a hole and pitch terrible, but hats off to them, they are near the bottom of League 2, charging £20 per ticket, and still getting just under 16k in attendance.

Still hate them though, but feel good after spending an afternoon helping the needy.

Yeah but if you read other threads, people won't accept that down south we're as passionate as the hotbed of football in the NE.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I quite like their stadium, it has a great atmosphere and a real throwback, its like going back into time. Cant beat the old stadiums IMO.

Wimbledon done well to bring 1,999.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Real fans are always there for their clubs - respect to Pompey for still getting such great crowds in Div 2. We are just as passionate in SE as NE - we just haven't historically had the ongoing success and hence crowds of NE.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Real fans are always there for their clubs - respect to Pompey for still getting such great crowds in Div 2. We are just as passionate in SE as NE - we just haven't historically had the ongoing success and hence crowds of NE.

I don't know,Pompey nearly had as many as Sunderland today:lol:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Painter did well. League 1&2 suits him
Distribution not up to much, though - seems strange seeing him playing that standard of (route-one) football on a terrible pitch given his exploits with us and Swansea.

Also popped along today (free tickets) - completely agree that it's difficult have anything but respect for those who still turn up and really get behind the side despite having very little to shout about. Thought AFC were unlucky not to take a point, played the better football throughout and piled on a heck of a lot of pressure late on.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Do they still come out to the Mike Oldfield tune? Others may disagree, but I always thought it was one of the better football themes: quite uplifting and at least named after the place - I can think of a number which have nothing to do with the club concerned.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
I bet t was a weird feeling, being neutral, but not really neutral ie supporting Pompey just a little, because of who you're with and where you're sitting, then feeling slightly guilty / unfaithful to your one true love. At least that's what I've felt in similar situations, even when at Stamford bridge

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
I bet t was a weird feeling, being neutral, but not really neutral ie supporting Pompey just a little, because of who you're with and where you're sitting, then feeling slightly guilty / unfaithful to your one true love. At least that's what I've felt in similar situations, even when at Stamford bridge
It was fine. Just feel like you're on a scouting mission. You still get into the game, but definitely don't feel that same nervousness or angst inside when it looks like the opposition might equalise.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Unless I mussed it, sounded like they came out to Parklife by Blur?

During their Premier League days they sometimes came out to the Pirates of the Caribbean theme - utterly inappropriate for a Navy port since the Britih navy were the villains in that movie. But perhaps not surprising as they were run by a gang of crooks with bank accounts in the Virgin Islands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here