• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Father Ted

Father-Ted-007.jpg

Did well to struggle manfully through a weak group, this could be an interesting test for Father O'Malley or whatever his name is. Feck Arse etc.

vs

The Thick Of It

The_Thick_Of_It.jpg

Two very different comedies here (i.e. one of them is quite intelligent), could both see a fair few votes. Father Ted is probably the favourite but this could be a cracker. Good luck Malcolm.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Malcolm Tucker to win by a tsunami of piss

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Sorry [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] but if you don't "get" Father Ted, I'm afraid there is no hope for you.

[QUOTEMalcolm Tucker to win by a tsunami of piss][/QUOTE]

father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_t.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] but if you don't "get" Father Ted, I'm afraid there is no hope for you.

Not sure what there is to get about catchphrase comedy and a woman with a massive mole. All seems VERY Mrs Brown's Boys to me...

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Not sure what there is to get about catchphrase comedy and a woman with a massive mole. All seems VERY Mrs Brown's Boys to me...

In what way is it catchprase comedy any more so than OFAH, The Office, Blackadder etc?
Brilliantly written & acted and takes aim full square at the Catholic church. Not many Irish folk would have had the guts to do that.

Not only that, but the show's creator wrote for Black Books, Brass Eye and directed The IT Crowd. Not a bad resumé.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In what way is it catchprase comedy any more so than OFAH, The Office, Blackadder etc?
Brilliantly written & acted and takes aim full square at the Catholic church. Not many Irish folk would have had the guts to do that.

Not only that, but the show's creator wrote for Black Books, Brass Eye and directed The IT Crowd. Not a bad resumé.

In that it has a character who just constantly spouts the same catchphrase over and over again. Who does that in The Office?

I'm being slightly tongue in cheek anyhow, I haven't seen Father Ted that much, although never really laughed when I saw it, seemed a bit slapstick for my taste.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
In that it has a character who just constantly spouts the same catchphrase over and over again. Who does that in The Office?

I'm being slightly tongue in cheek anyhow, I haven't seen Father Ted that much, although never really laughed when I saw it, seemed a bit slapstick for my taste.

Well alright, point taken there: substitute in Partridge for The Office.
It certainly contains a large portion of slapstick, but no more so than Fawlty Towers.
In truth, in contains elements from some of the best British comedies.

I recommend you watch A Christmassy Ted before finalising your opinion on it.

Ps Father Jack occasionally says "Feck. Arse. Girls" too.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Never understood the appeal of The Thick Of It - saw an episode once and was just some fellow shouting unfunny insults at other people - I can get that at work :thumbsup:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Never understood the appeal of The Thick Of It - saw an episode once and was just some fellow shouting unfunny insults at other people - I can get that at work :thumbsup:

I rather felt the same way about it.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Torn with this one, as I love them both. TTOI edges it for me for sheer swears per minute but I think I am in the minority.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Tie of the round for me. It's a really tough choice between, IMO, two of the stronger entrants in the competition.

I'm going to withhold my vote until someone can sway me one way or the other.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
:bounce: get your votes in!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is the first one I'm torn on. The Thick Of It just sneaks it for me, I find myself coming back to it more than Father Ted, however I'm fully expecting a Ted victory here.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Father Ted by a country mile, one of the best TV series ever. I remember Yes Minister/Prime Minister and consequently don't think much of its dumbed-down modern equivalent. (Although I accept it was miles better than the actual Yes Minister remake which was utter, utter shit).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Last chance.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here