Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mobile Phones-where next?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The Mobile phone has changed beyond all recognition since it's creation when those yuppie pioneers had "house brick" sized communication devices in their hands back in the 1980's,however,things have got little stale lately,it's all touch screen,Apple,Samsung S4 or whatever.

Is the current touch screen a future CD (compact disc) in the making?

A variation on a theme,but what next? will we even have Mobiles 10 years from now?

Or will we have some type of wrist band/watch telephonic device instead..

Personally,i prefer buttons,i have a Bold 9900 Blackberry,but i feel as time goes by choice for buttons will become less and less...

How do you feel about a phones future progress?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Smaller again I reckon...

I agree,but that said i once had an LCD phone as opposed to colour/touch screen roughly the same size as a box of matches,only slimmer,this was back in 2002 and i forget the make but all phones have got bigger again..

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Possibly smaller but I bought my Galaxy S3 because it had a larger screen. They will probably be lighter.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i cant see them changing much from here. the technology has plateau'd, you can see this in how little real change has been in the latest generations. features for the sake of it. the wrist device wont take off because they aren't big enough, or flexible, it'd be a pain in the arse to walk down the street or on the train whtever holding your arm out. wearable computing is interesting but ultimately what does it do that a smart phone doesnt?

the next big thing will be something we havent seen yet, it always is.

note, phones have got bigger in the past few years, they had got down to about the size of two match boxes before the smart phone changed the landscape.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't think much about their appearance will change now. There are bound to be variations such as bendy screens but people like their screens fairly large so I doubt they'll get smaller and any larger they just become impractical to carry about. I think the changes will come in functions and apps. Basically I think you will be able to do more with them but the basic look of them has stabilised I think. Until someone pioneers some kind of in-eye interface we're at the zenith imo.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
i cant see them changing much from here. the technology has plateau'd, you can see this in how little real change has been in the latest generations. features for the sake of it. the wrist device wont take off because they aren't big enough, or flexible, it'd be a pain in the arse to walk down the street or on the train whtever holding your arm out. wearable computing is interesting but ultimately what does it do that a smart phone doesnt?

the next big thing will be something we havent seen yet, it always is.

note, phones have got bigger in the past few years, they had got down to about the size of two match boxes before the smart phone changed the landscape.

I feel you've hit the nail on the head,but perhaps some form of blue tooth could compensate,maybe the next big thing could be a head up display set of glasses,or even a microchip,inserted in our brains..

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The only other way I can see it going is if they become self-aware then I believe the time machine will eclipse the mobile phone in the technology race.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think the main factor is how little people are using their smartphones as a phones now. The phone may splinter off and become something much smaller again...

With this in mind and regard the comments from fellow contributers to this thread,allowing for the fact that the basic(for now)phone is established,are we perhaps saying that it is becoming what the phone will allow us to do in future years,a far more expansive set of options.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You can get wristwatch phones now. Personally I'd rather phones were slightly larger.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think the phone's future depends on other things in our day to day lives progressing and companies inventing tech that interacts with and supports these advances. Things we won't see coming I'm sure.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I can't see much changing in the next 5 years.

I think the next 'big' thing will be smart glass and the phones of the future will be integrated with this is some way, I imagine.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Screens that go from edge to edge of the device will be next... then wireless earphones...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If you look to the Military Technology Exhibitions that are held about twice a year you get a few indications of where tech is going as most things are utilised for military purposes before they go to market.

A few years back I tried on a full face helmet that allows you to see 360 degrees while moving and looking forward. I don't know if it ever went into general use as it made people nauseated, including me. Very odd experience though.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think battery life will increase a lot on smartphones, at least I hope it does anyway.

This, I spend so much time talking on the phone while it's plugged in charging I may as well have an effing landline.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
This, I spend so much time talking on the phone while it's plugged in charging I may as well have an effing landline.

Ha,mines on charge again,full last night,full this morning and now flat....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here